Divorced Parents: Court over Son HS Football

Should courts be able to determine this for divorced parents?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • undecided

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
He should just say that he is the team's Waterboy and secretly play. He could also secretly get a Roy Orbison tattoo and secretly run around with a girl, girls and foosball are the devil!

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The father is on the hook for child support until 18 though, I'm sure.

Whichever spouse makes more money is required to pay for support. I know a bit about this as I had a shared custody agreement, and my son started splitting time between us and then started staying with me fully at around 16-17 years of age.

Generally speaking, the courts tend to favor a child's decision at a certain age (depending on the state) unless there is a reason not to award custody to the parent the child would prefer.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Wow, I wasn't expecting to read that it was the Father that didn't want the son to play football. It sounds like the Mother is representing her sons decision and that he wants to continue playing football.

Mrs. Orsini declined to be interviewed. But her lawyer, John N. Demas, said she considered her son, now a junior in high school, mature enough to understand the risks of the game and to make up his own mind. She also felt reassured that her son’s coaches were well-trained at spotting and caring for concussed players, and that doctors had declared him free of symptoms from the concussions.

“The truth is, this young man loves to play football and understands the dangers, and based on the science now, his mom thinks the benefits are worth the risks,” Mr. Demas said on behalf of Mrs. Orsini.

I was surprised that it was the father as well. Usually dads are more gung ho than moms about continuing with sports.

I'd be concerned about my son as well after three concussions and seeing visible changes in his behavior.

You would hope that even a divorced couple could agree on how to proceed without the courts involvement, but that's obviously not the case.

I wonder if any of this is spiteful on the part of the mother. Does she really just want her son to decide, or does she not want her ex to decide?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So we don't let NFL players decide whether they can continue to play in a game, but we're going to let a 17 year old make the decision? Seems the dad is acting in the kid's best interest here.

And how does a doctor not have an issue with him continuing with all the research out there with CTE? The only court case needed is the one to take his medical license.

• Agree

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I'm pretty sure it's state law in most states around here that after your 3rd recorded concussion that makes you medically ineligible and the school district won't let you play. The fact the dad is standing up for his health over athletic career is awesome.
I wonder if psycho parents ever fight this since they, you know, understand the risk.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014

Not sure link worked but if It does it flat out says 3rd documented concussion and your athletic career is over. My son wears this headgear for wrestling

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure it's state law in most states around here that after your 3rd recorded concussion that makes you medically ineligible and the school district won't let you play. The fact the dad is standing up for his health over athletic career is awesome.

Oh, well that's just great. What a terrible law because that will cause many to never "record" concussions. Freaking nanny state strikes again.

tolstoy

Aug 17, 2016
Dad understands that he might miss a handful of football games that by the next year no one will care about. You, however, have to live with the brain you got for the rest of your life. Kids think about the game and the fun they might miss out on. They don't think about having to be mentally capable at 48 years old and beyond.

• Agree

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I personally don't see how empowering kids is creepy.
I had two boys of my own and had a hand in raising two additional sons and two daughters; we've been youth group sponsors frequently over the years; I've worked with nearly two generations of students at ISU. My experience tells me that most of them have thought themselves bulletproof in one way or another.

Kids mature at different rates, to be sure. And I agree that they need to learn how to make good decisions. That's where parental guidance comes in, because young people are often short-sighted and don't consider long-term consequences. A teenage boy playing football today with a history of concussions typically isn't thinking about brain damage when he's 30. Giving in to his desires is not empowerment. IMO, it's endangerment.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Oh, well that's just great. What a terrible law because that will cause many to never "record" concussions. Freaking nanny state strikes again.

I have an actual situation that will show another side why the "3" concussion rule doesn't work exactly. My daughter was hit in the head by a basketball off a deflected pass this winter. She got the headache, but didn't vomit, lose memory, or anything else that can be symptoms of obvious concussions. She had the crud during this time so it made it more difficult to diagnose anyhow. I'm an EMT and coach (not for her team though) and have been through all the steps of diagnosing, protocols and such.

I walked her through the steps at night and did another diagnosis in the morning. Everything I gleaned said 99% certain not a concussion (can never really be 100%), but I said with everything happening, and where you are in the season just sit the next practice or two and get over the crud and a nagging injury to boot. There was a game after the two practice and since I told the coach to just sit her two practices to clean everything up, she didn't play since she didn't practice. Day after the game she goes in and is told since she "missed" three days (she was at practice and did light jogging and bike stuff to stay in shape) she needs medical clearance.

Well to avoid dragging this on, the school marked her as a concussion even after the doctor said it wasn't one and I didn't think it was. Just with that and a couple other minor things thought it was better to avoid another hit and turning it into one. So, with a three strike rule, my daughter would be tagged with one that isn't.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
Pfft. Shouldn't even have to "record" concussions. Stupid nanny state.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm still married (so far) and so are my parents (so far), so I have very little experience in these matters. But how often do "parenting decisions" go to court for other things? Like about whether to let a child drive a car? Or what college to go to? Or what church to have the kid go to? Or . . . ?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
The example that you are using is not as good because the kid is 17. Kid can play if he wants to. I would like to see what it would be like if the kid was like 10 or something

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm still married (so far) and so are my parents (so far), so I have very little experience in these matters. But how often do "parenting decisions" go to court for other things? Like about whether to let a child drive a car? Or what college to go to? Or what church to have the kid go to? Or . . . ?

I swear for some parents, its monthly.

Worked with a guy who got divorced and had decent child support to pay. Since he didn't live with his family except for every other weekend and one night a week, he decided to do some extra work to make ends meet. He went to school to be a mason originally. So he started finding small brick laying jobs to help pay bills and make ends meet. After about 4-6 months he was taken back into court and had to say how much he made from that. His child support was increased to account for that.

He yearly was drug into court and any client his ex heard of was dragged in to say how much they paid him. He didn't do this when married was just a second job to pay rent.

BTW, this guy filed bk when they divoreced. His ex had some old loans that she didn't pay and he told her, since I going under just leave them in my name and I will clean them up so it doesn't affect the kids. Wiped off 20k of her debt. She still had the gaul to keep asking for a share of his "extra" work after he had helped her out.

• Informative
Reactions: NickTheGreat

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
My kids got a concussion his freshman year of high school. So we just guided him to different sports like Track and Cross country. His mom and I are divorced but we had a one on one meeting with each other and decided it would be best for him to be done with Football. We explained the effects and he said OK. However, lot's of parents like to take different sides of an issue when they are divorced. Just for argument sake. If this kid has had this many concussions. Why is there not a 3 knockdown rule in high schools. 3 Concusions and you are done with any sport that you can hit each other.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I have an actual situation that will show another side why the "3" concussion rule doesn't work exactly. My daughter was hit in the head by a basketball off a deflected pass this winter. She got the headache, but didn't vomit, lose memory, or anything else that can be symptoms of obvious concussions. She had the crud during this time so it made it more difficult to diagnose anyhow. I'm an EMT and coach (not for her team though) and have been through all the steps of diagnosing, protocols and such.

I walked her through the steps at night and did another diagnosis in the morning. Everything I gleaned said 99% certain not a concussion (can never really be 100%), but I said with everything happening, and where you are in the season just sit the next practice or two and get over the crud and a nagging injury to boot. There was a game after the two practice and since I told the coach to just sit her two practices to clean everything up, she didn't play since she didn't practice. Day after the game she goes in and is told since she "missed" three days (she was at practice and did light jogging and bike stuff to stay in shape) she needs medical clearance.

Well to avoid dragging this on, the school marked her as a concussion even after the doctor said it wasn't one and I didn't think it was. Just with that and a couple other minor things thought it was better to avoid another hit and turning it into one. So, with a three strike rule, my daughter would be tagged with one that isn't.

Good point, there are all kinds of unintended consequences to laws. They are probably very afraid of getting their pants sued off if they don't "play it safe". Can't listen to the doctors.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron