Divorced Parents: Court over Son HS Football

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Should courts be able to determine this for divorced parents?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • undecided

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
No, of course courts shouldn't decide this. you know who should? The kid who can and should decide for himself. But, but, kids are dumb and can't make any choices for themselves until some magical age.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Tough call. This kid is 17, so I think he should have a voice in this. If it's a 12-year-old that'd be different. But he's already had 3 concussions. There's no way he should be playing football. The fact that the doctors are ok with him continuing to play is pretty disturbing.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Mr. Orsini’s ex-wife, believes he should be allowed to continue playing because he understands the risks.

The ex-wife lost me here. If the kid has a history of concussions it seems like an easy decision, no football.

Minor children understand the risks of all sorts of stuff that's bad for them...and parents still have to advise against them. In some cases do more than advise.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Wow, I wasn't expecting to read that it was the Father that didn't want the son to play football. It sounds like the Mother is representing her sons decision and that he wants to continue playing football.

Mrs. Orsini declined to be interviewed. But her lawyer, John N. Demas, said she considered her son, now a junior in high school, mature enough to understand the risks of the game and to make up his own mind. She also felt reassured that her son’s coaches were well-trained at spotting and caring for concussed players, and that doctors had declared him free of symptoms from the concussions.

“The truth is, this young man loves to play football and understands the dangers, and based on the science now, his mom thinks the benefits are worth the risks,” Mr. Demas said on behalf of Mrs. Orsini.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I understand the fathers concern. If the kid has had 3 concussions already he is more apt to get a fourth. I'm all for allowing a 17 year old kid to make his own decisions but this is one time when I am with the parent saying no.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If he didn't have a history of concussions I'd agree. He's had 3. Should be ruled medically ineligible.

Well, that's a different discussion, isn't it? If schools had the policy, then that would be that. Though one could certainly argue that players would hide their concussions and would attempt to not seek medical attention if that was the policy.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Well, that's a different discussion, isn't it? If schools had the policy, then that would be that. Though one could certainly argue that players would hide their concussions and would attempt to not seek medical attention if that was the policy.

Maybe but it's pretty pertinent to this situation. Why a school doesn't have a policy on this is baffling. It's not that hard. Three concussions? You're out. How many kids with CTE need to kill themselves before indecisive adults dancing around the issue actually do something?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The history of concussions is what bothers me, and the severity of them. There are times when a parent needs to BE a parent, and look out for the child's best interests.

This is a tough question...especially with the age of the child.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Which is why a father steps in and says "no football".

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
It depends on the state, but kids do get a say in court in regard to custody prior to the age of 18. Legally speaking, they aren't totally subject to the whims of the parents in all matters.
The father is on the hook for child support until 18 though, I'm sure.

• Winner
Reactions: Knownothing

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
I'm pretty sure it's state law in most states around here that after your 3rd recorded concussion that makes you medically ineligible and the school district won't let you play. The fact the dad is standing up for his health over athletic career is awesome.