Dish Network won't air CFB on FS1 incl. NDSU game

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Just remember if you switch from dish to DirecTV because of the NDSU game not being broadcast you will just have to switch back when the Texa$ game is on since DirecTV doesn't carry the longhorn network.

Or just get a 1 month $10 subscription to Cyclone.TV. That way you don't have to listen to the bias of the LHN announcers.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Those with Dish should focus their anger at Fox, not Dish.

Dish and Fox have an agreement in place for FS1. Now Fox wants additional $ from Dish above what has already been agreed upon to air the games.

I'm really frustrated that I won't get the game, but this just solidifies why I have Dish - they're willing to fight to keep my prices low. One game won't change my opinion. I'll never go back to Direct TV and pay significantly more for an equal (at best) product.

Frustrated emails should be sent to Fox, not Dish. I plan on sending a thank you email to Dish!

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
I was actually looking forward to using my hopper with sling box at tailgating this season instead of lugging around all my DTV stuff like I had the last few years. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly but outside of the FS1 issue I'm actually happy with my jump from DTV to dish.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

Dish and Fox have an agreement in place for FS1. Now Fox wants additional $ from Dish above what has already been agreed upon to air the games.

I'm really frustrated that I won't get the game, but this just solidifies why I have Dish - they're willing to fight to keep my prices low. One game won't change my opinion. I'll never go back to Direct TV and pay significantly more for an equal (at best) product.

Frustrated emails should be sent to Fox, not Dish. I plan on sending a thank you email to Dish!

How much would the additional charge be if they spread it out to their customer base?

This is BS on Dish's part because it's obvious that a good share of their customers are willing to pay to see football games. If the option is between an additional few bucks per month for football, or no football and a slightly lower monthly bill, I think those prefer a lower bill with no football would be a very small minority. What the hell are you paying Dish anything for if you can't even watch the things you want to?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
tell dish to get rid of the SEC network and their outrageous carriage fees, that would more than save the money FOX is extorting. After all, the SEC fans would still get all of the ESECPN shows. I would also email FOX just for fun.

Oh, and for the love of god someone get Lakes over here to tell us how FOX & Dish could possibly let this NC level game go unwatched.:wideeyed:

Last edited:

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

I agree. While occasionally dish negotiating this way with networks has screwed me, I appreciate their overall work to keep costs in line.

To the people that said why not just spread the cost over their customer base. I personally would be ok in this case. But if they do this here, then when espn wants more money, then mtv, then whatever you end up with constant price escalation and the reason I switched to dish in the first place.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
How much would the additional charge be if they spread it out to their customer base?

This is BS on Dish's part because it's obvious that a good share of their customers are willing to pay to see football games. If the option is between an additional few bucks per month for football, or no football and a slightly lower monthly bill, I think those prefer a lower bill with no football would be a very small minority. What the hell are you paying Dish anything for if you can't even watch the things you want to?

If this was just a one time situation with one station, I would agree. But, this type of situation occurs often and Dish has set the precedent that they won't cave and they negotiate tougher than other providers.

While it occasionally costs me a game, paying significantly less as a result is worth it to me. (emphasis on " to me.")

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
This isn't a Dish vs. DirecTV thing. Both services get into these feuds. It's done to try and keep costs as low as possible. Dish started offering WatchESPN access as well as several other channels (LHN, SEC, PAC 12) that DirecTV doesn't.

I suspect this this won't get resolved by Saturday, but I'd be surprised if it lasts much past Saturday.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
If this was just a one time situation with one station, I would agree. But, this type of situation occurs often and Dish has set the precedent that they won't cave and they negotiate tougher than other providers.

While it occasionally costs me a game, paying significantly less as a result is worth it to me. (emphasis on " to me.")

I don't have either Dish or DirecTV; what's the price difference between the two where you're at? Just curious. Thanks.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I agree that one game won't change my opinion, but we're probably talking about six or so games this year. This will become a bigger issue with away games.

Hopefully this will get resolved. I find it positive that they only listed week one games. That tells me that they are still at least negotiating.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I don't have either Dish or DirecTV; what's the price difference between the two where you're at? Just curious. Thanks.

It's never a true "apples to apples" since the available packages don't align and their hardware is different (pros/cons of each), but last time I did my best to price match, based on the packages I would have selected, Dish was about $25/mo less.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
This isn't a Dish vs. DirecTV thing. Both services get into these feuds. It's done to try and keep costs as low as possible. Dish started offering WatchESPN access as well as several other channels (LHN, SEC, PAC 12) that DirecTV doesn't.

I suspect this this won't get resolved by Saturday, but I'd be surprised if it lasts much past Saturday.

Dish gets in far more of these spats than Direct because they are cheap. Direct is willing to pay the higher fees to these channels because they don't sell on price.

Direct does have the SEC Network and should have Watch ESPN by the end of the year or soon after.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Dish gets in far more of these spats than Direct because they are cheap. Direct is willing to pay the higher fees to these channels because they don't sell on price.

Direct does have the SEC Network and should have Watch ESPN by the end of the year or soon after.

How come DirecTV has not just gone ahead and paid what the Pac 12 wants for its network then? Why do you have to wait for SEC Network and WATCH ESPN until the end of the year or soon after? I thought DirecTV is willing to pay the higher fees because they don't sell on price even though a trip to the front page of their website claims completely different.

As I said, this isn't a Dish Network vs. DirecTV debate. If anything, the lines become more blurred because there are certain back door allegiances between the major networks and the carriers. It wasn't too long ago New Corp owned DirecTV which is the principal owner of the Fox Networks.