DirecTV just ****** me off for the first time

kcbob79clone

Yeah, I figured. The first time I had issues with the client, I wasn't smart enough to reset the main, but I'm kind of dense. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck.

There is an order to the resetting the genie (1st) and then the mini client(s). Wait until you see "rebuilding program list" on the genie then reset the mini client(s). Satelliteguys is probably the best place on the web for DirecTV info, a lot of installers visit there and help you out. Here is the DirecTV forum, The DIRECTV Forum

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
It is it almost laughable that people would bank their choice of DirectTV on their customer service. Google worst customer service companies and guess which company makes almost all the list? DirectTV and various cable companies.

You're going to be continually disappointed if you pick any of these services based on customer service. Yes, sad but true.

What it comes down to is product and price IMO. In my book , if you're a Cyclone supporter, DirectTV wins only if NFL Ticket is a must have. If it isn't, then Mediacom has Cyclone.TV which by its nature, supports ISU athletics and then you top that off with financial support (see all our scoreboards) they spend in support of ISU it is a non-decision.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The best thing you can do during installation is to follow the installer around and ask questions. They'll probably hate it, but if you ever need to add or remove boxes it makes life easier. When we swapped our Hopper and Joey boxes just having knowledge of how the system worked allowed me to know which cables to switch to make it work. For the Hopper at least, there is a signal in from the dish and the hopper sends a signal back out to the Joeys. If you try to hook up the Joey to the dish as well, the whole system goes haywire. This could be the problem you're facing.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It's incredibly odd the issue you are having as others have noted. Never had a problem like this myself. I'd do about any kind of troubleshooting I could think of to narrow down the issue.

That said, it's $50. What is your time worth to you?

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
It is it almost laughable that people would bank their choice of DirectTV on their customer service. Google worst customer service companies and guess which company makes almost all the list? DirectTV and various cable companies.

You're going to be continually disappointed if you pick any of these services based on customer service. Yes, sad but true.

What it comes down to is product and price IMO. In my book , if you're a Cyclone supporter, DirectTV wins only if NFL Ticket is a must have. If it isn't, then Mediacom has Cyclone.TV which by its nature, supports ISU athletics and then you top that off with financial support (see all our scoreboards) they spend in support of ISU it is a non-decision.

The only reason people have mediacom is lack of choice - i.e., people in apartments.

schlepp571

Dec 21, 2013
Ames
There is a black PI-29 power inserter that feeds power to the SL5S LNB(Low Noise Block) at the dish. It can be located behind any receiver in the house. The IRD port feeds the receiver and the LNB port obviously feeds the LNB. The PI-29 must be connected to the red power passing port of the splitter. On a 4-way green labeled splitter, it is the left most port. It is indicated on the splitter label. H25s can be used as standalone receivers and with a HR 34 or 44 genie. C41s can only be used with a genie. They do not have actual tuners built into them. They strictly communicate back to the genie and utilize one of the tuners of the genie. You can have more than 3 C41s, but only 3 can be used at a time. It does not matter which port the receivers are plugged in to. Locate your PI-29 and ensure it is feeding back to the LNB through the power passing port and you will be good to go.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
DTV came out today and the tech really went above and beyond. Inside tested fine so he went outside and found my LNB should have been replaced when I upgraded to Genie but was not. He replaced it and all the cabling up to the house, just in case, and that fixed the problem. It was covered under my wiring plan. I bought his lunch for his efforts.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The only reason people have mediacom is lack of choice - i.e., people in apartments.

That is just ignorant.

Yeah, my lack of choices gives me Cyclone.TV in 5 rooms in my house, non-dependant on my computer....and I do not pay extra....and i don't have an ugly dish attached to my roofline.