DirecTV just ****** me off for the first time

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
I just got DISH to replace Cox cable so I could finally get ESPNU for the Iowa BB game. Love it so far except it's harder to reprogram my memory than I hoped. Too much tailgating in my younger years I suppose.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Just got my basement finished and put a new TV down there. Had a Genie client in a room that was no longer being used, so I moved it downstairs. Hooked everything up no problem, as soon as I turn it on, service goes out to the ENTIRE HOUSE. As soon as I turn it off, the entire house resumes as normal.

Tried swapping with a different box, same thing. As soon as I turn on the basement TV, service goes out to the entire house.

I called DirecTV and they said I have to pay a $50 client relocation/installation charge and have a technician come to my house. I said that is ridiculous, I have to pay $50 just to move a box from one room to another? Yes. Is this covered by the wiring plan I pay for? No.

******* ridiculous. Anyone else experience this before?

I had this problem. Now they charge you 7.99 a month to cover service calls or equipment problems (that you rent) or you pay as you go at 50 bucks a call. Sucks because I have something go wring on average of once a month in the 4 months I have had it. I did the protect plan but I didnt want to and was going to cancel but havent because ar the rate **** breaks or has a problem. I had that problem and fixed it by resetting the genies from main consul after resetting each one.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Had the same issue. We finally furnished rhe basement and tries to move the mini genies from the bedroom down just to see...didn't work.

We were going to get it set up down there anyway so we just bit the $50 bullet.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Had the same issue. We finally furnished rhe basement and tries to move the mini genies from the bedroom down just to see...didn't work.

We were going to get it set up down there anyway so we just bit the $50 bullet.
Did they give any indication, how does the system KNOW that you've moved it? That totally freaks me out.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I have moved many boxes as well and have had no issues. I actually just bought a house and have been moving boxes since the new Samsung and Sony tv's have built in boxes, and haven't had any issues.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I've been Googling this and haven't found much on people having this same issue. Most are saying they can move the H25 receivers around to other rooms just fine as long as those rooms are hooked to the SWiM splitter.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I like how it's specified in the thread title that it's the first time....which seems to imply that it's a foregone conclusion that there will be a second time.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Try resetting the main Genie using the red reset button. Everything runs off of that. The client in our bedroom goes black sometimes, and we just have to reset the main unit.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I've been Googling this and haven't found much on people having this same issue. Most are saying they can move the H25 receivers around to other rooms just fine as long as those rooms are hooked to the SWiM splitter.
It's not an H25. It's a C41 Genie client.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Try resetting the main Genie using the red reset button. Everything runs off of that. The client in our bedroom goes black sometimes, and we just have to reset the main unit.
Thanks, but that's pretty much the first thing any person would do.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Thanks, but that's pretty much the first thing any person would do.
Yeah, I figured. The first time I had issues with the client, I wasn't smart enough to reset the main, but I'm kind of dense. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I'll admit if you have an issue with mediacom and your cable is out....you may have to wait to get it fixed. But for the most part their service is stable. I called in to order ESPNU for the Iowa/IAstate game and had service before I got home. 15 minutes later. Pretty easy. And now they have a feature that when you call in for service you don't have to wait on hold...you just select the option for them to call you back when it's your turn in the queue. Worked like a champ and didn't have to sit there listening to elevator music. Maybe this is standard now adays but I thought it was nice.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I like how it's specified in the thread title that it's the first time....which seems to imply that it's a foregone conclusion that there will be a second time.
No, it means I've been damn happy with them to this point.

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
Haven't had many problems with Mediacom and the phone service has been much more dependable than Qwest was--every 3 months wet weather would mess up the box. And we must be near a crux as the internet has always been strong.

But I wanted to get cable recently and went on the internet, and saw that i could get the 3 package deal for $99 --and $100 card from Amazon. Turns out it was a third party offer Mediacom didn't honor because I already had 2 of the services. Mediacom's site clearly makes this distinction--the third party site does not. I was a little pissy, and chatted with the third party site.

Eventually, a Mediacom person called me back and I am getting basic cable for only $20 a month and no contract, which is great cuz I'm only keeping it past the World Cup. We set up a time for 1-1:30 3 days 4 days later. So, I'm home at 12:30. From 1:45 to 2:15 I make 3 calls to find out what's up, get cut off twice. Third time I'm going to get a call back, but by then I have to leave home. Get back at 4 and call again, seeing that mediacom had called me at 3:30. My customer service rep calls the dispatcher--too late to get any one else out that day. We set up a time for 1-5 Saturday, and she gives me a $20 credit.

So, I'm home all afternoon today. Finally call Mediacom at 4. Turns out my rep made the appointment, but the dispatcher never got the notice. My next available time is 1-5 on Tuesday, Christmas Eve, which is slightly irritating, but really, what choice do I have for the service I want? I get another $20 credit, and I suppose I'll just have to call at 1 on Tuesday to make sure the dispatcher has me in the queue. Although, I might get snuck in Monday. The rep was very apologetic and understanding.

The punchline : the customer service rep THANKED me for not yelling at her. She said "I get yelled at a lot."