Did we underachieve? Meet expectations?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I've been thinking a lot about how many players within the program are playing pro ball. And now several NBA contracts.

Guys playing pro ball oversees: Babb, McGee, Ejim, Matt Thomas, McKay
Guys with actual NBA contracts: Niang, Morris, Nader
Guys with 2-way contracts: Naz, Burton

We managed two Sweet 16s. And had 1 tied for second place finish in the Big 12 with many 4-5 place finishes. This isn't meant to troll or disrespect any of the success our teams have had over the past 5 years but it seems like we should have done more?

Your thoughts? Did we underachieve over the past 5 years (with the exception of last year)? Meet expectations? Exceed them?

For me, with bringing back the program from the dead but having so much pro talent - I'd say we slightly underachieved. The UAB loss really hurt in the potential to do great things. I really wish we could have seriously contended to break KU's streak. But we made the tournament for 6 straight years, won several Big 12 tournament titles, and have been fun to watch so that makes up for most of it.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It depends on what you hoped for when Pollard hired Fred. I was just hoping he wouldn't fall flat on his face and ISU wouldn't have to fire a legend. Instead he launched the best sustained run of basketball ISU has ever had. So for me, the program exceeded expectations. I don't put a ton of stock in the tourney runs, either. I always hope they make it but I hate when a team's entire season gets judged for what happens in a single elimination tournament played on a neutral floor against an unfamiliar opponent. It's just a crapshoot.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It's hard to compare the number of pros if you don't do the same for the other good programs. I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of high major college basketball players who actually played meaningful minutes played professionally somewhere.

Additionally, it isn't like we had all these guys on the roster at the same time. People like to look back at Brackins/DG/Hamilton/etc. and say those teams underachieved because those guys played professionally. Well, I can assure you DG as a senior versus DG as a freshman were two totally different players. Hamilton and Brackins were the exact same story.

The thing that's held back Iowa State and I foresee will continue to hold back Iowa State is depending too much on outscoring the opposition.

Reactions: cycloneworld

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Also, it was a pretty amazing run we went on. 6 straight NCAAs just don’t happen to everyone.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Depends on who you use as the standard, doesn't it? If Ku, well, in my mind ISU met expectations. You're not going to dethrone that semi-pro blueblood without like talent. They have too many built-in advantages. And ISU did win those conference tournaments.

If you use, say, OU, then ISU underachieved because State has had as good of talent as Buddy's bunch which went F4. But the tournament is such a matchup crapshoot, isn't it.

I suppose now is the program transition point coming off a bad season by Cyclone standards. Is it talent, coaching or just a momentary lull?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The thing that's held back Iowa State and I foresee will continue to hold back Iowa State is depending too much on outscoring the opposition.

Yep, I almost included that in my original post. With more emphasis on defense, maybe things are different. But again, I'm happy with being out of the basement of the Big 12 so I'm nitpicking here.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We made a shot in the dark hire, went places we’ve never been, won titles in the Big 12 that only a few schools can claim, long runs in the top 25, long tourney streak. Amazing players with numerous honors. We achieved and then some imo.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Two Sweet 16s during that run is nothing to sneeze at. From Johnny Orr until Fred, we got two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8. That's a span of 30? years?

Miller_Cy_Life

Jun 19, 2018
I think this season really sets the tone for the program's future. How do we respond to a down year? Will talent and potential equate to wins, or will lack of chemistry and leadership define the season once again... I'm nervously optimistic.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
[Q
UOTE="surly, post: 6234001, member: 17978"]Depends on who you use as the standard, doesn't it? If Ku, well, in my mind ISU met expectations. You're not going to dethrone that semi-pro blueblood without like talent. They have too many built-in advantages. And ISU did win those conference tournaments.

If you use, say, OU, then ISU underachieved because State has had as good of talent as Buddy's bunch which went F4. But the tournament is such a matchup crapshoot, isn't it.

I suppose now is the program transition point coming off a bad season by Cyclone standards. Is it talent, coaching or just a momentary lull? [/QUOTE]

I'll bite, most thought last yr would be down some but to drop below .500 really hurt. I don't think anyone foresaw the rash of injuries that led disjointed line ups. I'm back on the bandwagon. I think this yrs team will gain momentum and and fan support as the season goes along. There are several good players if Prohm can get them all on the same page. NWB healthy, Wiggington, Young, Lard(keep his head screwed on straight) Shayok etc.. I think (hope) most people will be happily surprised how we bounce back this yr.

The yr Georges broke his foot was just a heart breaker to ISU fans. We were looking so good till that happened, but who knows you never know how the games would have turned out. I was in a meeting when a buddy sent me a text telling me, my heart just sank.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
The only year we really under achieved was UAB year. Using NCAA tourney success as a benchmark is dumb cause it's such a crapshoot. And Kansas is Kansas and will win the Big 12 as long as Self is around to get every call ever

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy and cycloneG

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I don't really know what my expectation are.

Part of me "expects" to be in the NCAA tourney, and the other part of me knows it's really tough to go from 13-18 to making the dance.

So put my expectations on the bubble?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I just don't think we're at a point as a program, where we can complain or feel we underachieved going to 6 straight tourneys and 2 sweet 16's.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron