Did we really win on Friday?

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I must have been watching a different game than some of you.

Neither Iowa nor ISU dominated in this game. It was a very competitive game between two pretty good teams that both have some work to do.

ISU could not keep Iowa off the boards, and the transition defense was not good at all. That is something ISU has to work on because it will really hurt them against some Big 12 teams, although not many Big 12 teams have the size that Iowa does 1-10. ISU has to learn to box out better against bigger teams, and slow down the fast break. Sorry, but I doubt the way the transition defense was played was part of the plan. Yes, I think they were told not to give up cheap, stupid fouls, but I don't think uncontested layups or back door cuts and open dunks were what CFH was hoping would happen.

ISU does not appear to have the outside shooting threat to the same degree it had in past years, even though to date they are averaging more three point shots made per game. Matt needs to take his shots and gain some confidence with his outside shooting. Kane needs to improve from the outside, but that may be difficult for a senior. Iowa left him wide open from the outside as no threat at all. Ejim is doing fine from out there, but Niang needs some work. I would love to see Monte take more 3's when he is in there. The best 3 point shooter outside of Naz is Hogue......but I'm not sure we want him doing a lot of it. It really needs to get a little better, because that is what really helps ISU's offense work. The threat needs to be there from multiple players.

The thing I love about this team is that it has a mental toughness, a never quit attitude that I don't recall seeing on an ISU team in the past. I'm sure CFH would like to avoid the double digit comebacks, but it is still a pretty impressive feat. You just don't want to count on it having to happen every time, but I don't think I will ever count this team out until the very last minute of a game. I mean they were down by 5 with just over a minute left Friday night, yet they won by doing what needed to be done. Yes, Iowa missed some FT's, but ISU still had to make theirs, and Georges had to make the play he did or it would not have mattered. Impressive team at gut check time.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
FFS, Cyinthenorth made a stupid thread, but some of the responses in this one (and several of the others) are just as stupid. No, the easy baskets for Iowa were NOT part of the gameplan. They were poor defense. You don't let a guy beat you on a backdoor cut "because you didn't want to foul him." Please stop telling people "if we would have hit more free throws" when we hit our FT% average for the game, please stop telling people "bad defense was part of the gameplan..." You make all of us look stupid.

Fred and the boys do have some work to do after the game, but that's the case after EVERY game. They'll learn from their mistakes and they'll do better the next game. They did enough to win this last game, and that should be enough for all of us.
You don't think Fred told them to back off and not challenge if one of the Iowa players had a clear lane to the hoop to avoid foul trouble? Re-watch the game. You can clearly see some of our interior defenders bail out when White was near the hoop. Iowa's game plans this year include trying to get to the line and get the other team in foul trouble. That's what White does and is very good at it. Again, on a few of their baskets, you can clearly see some of our defenders bail out.

I will agree with you, however, that we did get exposed by backdoor cuts by Aaron White, but again, that's one of the things he excels at. I would have liked to see us not over challenge White on passes out to the wing and keep him in front of us. Force him to shoot or keep Iowa in their terrible half-court offense.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I will agree with you, however, that we did get exposed by backdoor cuts by Aaron White, but again, that's one of the things he excels at. I would have liked to see us not over challenge White on passes out to the wing and keep him in front of us. Force him to shoot or keep Iowa in their terrible half-court offense.

Yes, a guy makes his second 3 pointer of the season and they decided they needed to guard him out to the arc. I would prefer they make him prove it rather than giving up the drive or cut. There is a reason that was only his second make of the season.

2011-12 .279, '12-13 .227, '13-14 .250

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
Iowa came into Hilton playing with the size, poise and precision of a pro. In the first half Iowa was far better team than their number 23 ranking would imply. Yet, in spite of an intolerable transition defense, failed free-through attempts and a painful 3 point performance in the first half, the Cyclone’s warrior like mentality may have lost a few of the battles but won the all-important war! It is one thing to come back from a 10 point deficit against a marginal team, but coming back and beating Iowa is a true tribute to the perseverance, positive passion, fully focused intensity and a burning will to win endemic in the very fiber of their being. A winner looks at adversity the way a lion looks at lunch. As a result, a great team can learn more from failure than success and I am excited to see this team turn the adversity experienced in to an advantage. The future looks bright and I count it a privilege and a pleasure to be able to sit in the stands and witness the game of basketball being played at such a high level. Grow to GREATNESS and go Cyclones!

Reactions: CycloneErik

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Iowa came into Hilton playing with the size, poise and precision of a pro. In the first half Iowa was far better team than their number 23 ranking would imply. Yet, in spite of an intolerable transition defense, failed free-through attempts and a painful 3 point performance in the first half, the Cyclone’s warrior like mentality may have lost a few of the battles but won the all-important war! It is one thing to come back from a 10 point deficit against a marginal team, but coming back and beating Iowa is a true tribute to the perseverance, positive passion, fully focused intensity and a burning will to win endemic in the very fiber of their being. A winner looks at adversity the way a lion looks at lunch. As a result, a great team can learn more from failure than success and I am excited to see this team turn the adversity experienced in to an advantage. The future looks bright and I count it a privilege and a pleasure to be able to sit in the stands and witness the game of basketball being played at such a high level. Grow to GREATNESS and go Cyclones!

So to put it succinctly all they know is eat?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
We cruise-controlled a whole half and still beat them. Game, set, and match.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I present video evidence of Iowa State winning on Friday:

[video=youtube;9nSoEddQGbE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nSoEddQGbE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I just LOVE how you can hear the 'clank' of McCabe's 3 on the 2nd and 3rd perspectives of that shot. What a beautiful sound :)

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
What a DB kind of a question. There are some people on this site I don't think I could even stand to have a beer with do to their constant negativity.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
The hard part for me mentally is the way we score points. In my head I compare this team to the last couple years and it doesn't look as nicely wrapped. But it doesn't matter that we aren't putting on a three point shooting clinic. It's not really how Fred has this team built. We seem to value the ball more and it's translating into alot of points - it just feels different. So personally, I have to get over how it looks compared to Babb and McGee hoisting pretty shots. It's easy for people to say Iowa has the better team, what I think is the more accurate statement is Iowa has a more familiar team. What we're doing doesn't look like Iowa State basketball over the last couple years. So for alot of people, myself included, you question the authenticity. We've got a good team. It's getting used to the new bodies in the jerseys.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron