Did the non-conference record match your expectations?

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
This is not meant to be a bash on our current coach at all, but...

We have not played anyone worth while this non-conf season like we used to. Remember when we'd play random teams like Virginia Tech in Non-Conf a few years ago. I mean it wasn't a killer schedule at all, but we scheduled some names that had the chance that were considered "quality wins" if we pulled them off when they were considering teams for post season tournaments.

IMO, we have to go at least a game or two over .500 in conference play to get even NIT consideration because we don't have anything to hang our hat on with our non-conf schedule/record. Also, a win or two against rated opponents in conference play would be very beneficial, lets hope it starts with Texas.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
i understand what your sayin but dang man.i think were a bit better than what we were last year

we are, but there was a lot of room to improve from last season to this season when it comes to playing Big 12 competition. We're better than we were last year, but still worse than most the conference. I'm guessing placement around 10th or 11th in Big 12.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
There is no CBI anymore (I'm pretty sure).

As far as I know, the CBI still exists. It is a complete joke of a tournament (a sub .500 team in Cincinnati was invited to it last season), but at this point in our program, I would take any sort of post-season tournament.

College Basketball Invitational - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The CBI is what the NIT use to be. It is a way for a company to sell money and if you are a half way decent team with a proven ability to sell tickets you'll get a game.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
i understand what your sayin but dang man.i think were a bit better than what we were last year

I'm not optimistic about Big 12 play. We haven't beaten a team in that finished in the top half of the Big 12 since Mac's first game coaching in the league. Until we prove that we are going to struggle.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I'm not optimistic about Big 12 play. We haven't beaten a team in that finished in the top half of the Big 12 since Mac's first game coaching in the league. Until we prove that we are going to struggle.
Butttttttttttt we may improve in the big 12 to get us past 5 games..I think were one of the teams that could upset a Texas or Baylor club

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think 5 wins gets us in the NIT.

The wins and losses matched my expectations, however I have been disappointed in the way they have played.

As for the NIT, I don't think they've taken a team with less than 18 wins the last two years since the NCAA bought them. I think we'd need 19 with our SOS and RPI.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
We really need a high powerd Offense to compete in this league..thats what every other team does..i understand Mcd preaches defence but cmon man..

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Butttttttttttt we may improve in the big 12 to get us past 5 games..I think were one of the teams that could upset a Texas or Baylor club

I'll have two of whatever you're drinking. I hope you're right but I just don't see where the wins are coming from.

CU - 2 wins
KSU - 1 win
Neb - 1 win
TTU - 1 win

These are all the possible wins I see at this point and none of them are sure bets. We would be very lucky to get 4 of those 5.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Well, when's the last time we won a Big 12 road game? That's probably an automatic 7 or 8 losses there which doesn't leave us much room for error. Nebraska and Colorado should be pretty bad too but KSU and MU have had much better nonconference seasons so it wouldn't surprise me if we drop at least one at home to one of them.

Brackins is our only real offensive weapon unless we're knocking down a ton of threes. That will work against smaller schools but he's going to face a lot better defenses in the Big 12. I hope we do better but I just don't see it.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I'll have two of whatever you're drinking. I hope you're right but I just don't see where the wins are coming from.

CU - 2 wins
KSU - 1 win
Neb - 1 win
TTU - 1 win

These are all the possible wins I see at this point and none of them are sure bets. We would be very lucky to get 4 of those 5.

Winning at Colorado is harder then you think. No matter how bad that team is.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I think I had 13-2, and then 7-9 in Big 12.

I was too optimistic on the 13, and think 5 to 6 wins in Big 12.

jimmycy

Apr 19, 2006
I predicted 11-4. I say 6-10 in conference. 17-14 overall. I hoped foe a little more. Good thing the big 12 is weak.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
We wouldn't have won near as many games if Brackins had scored so many points.:jimlad: Seriously tho, if we can get to 15-16 and if the CBI exists and we get in it is more practices and playing time for the team to point to next year.