Did ok & tex violate big12 bylaws

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Definitely. Breaching the contract (which clearly they did) will, at the very least, better the bargaining position for the remaining members significantly (and the leak substantiates that breach, and lying about it in court is a criminal offense that can undoubtedly be proven). Maybe throw in a bit of a threat to pursue the collusion between the two schools. They are going to pay quite a bit of money for this one (but yes, they will still leave, and the money won't begin to make up for the potential losses if other members don't find themselves well-placed).
They have not breached the contract. Their position is, they're not renewing the GOR AND they're obligating themselves to fulfilling their existing contract. Though it's only legal ease to protect themselves from legal proceedings. They'll be as patient as both the B12 AND the SEC is. If the SEC wants to pay out the fine before the contract expires, then 'legal' proceedings would STILL be in play. If the SEC wants to 'settle' BEYOND the penalty, that'd be the decision of the B12 to accept or refuse it. Bean counters come into play when the legal expenses offset the reward. Let's NOT ignore that as the contract gets closer to expiration, the remaining schools will get more skittish. ALSO ANY legal battle will be MANY years. This plays into the bean counters thinking.
THUS patience is on the B12's side. And WITH that patience a LOT can occur back channels. But, BOTH legal proceedings AND back channel planning should proceed briskly.
All this aside, I wouldn't doubt one second ESPN has broken the law AND is susceptible to a law suit.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
We are all discussing the black and white issues. The type of conversations/issues that causes the two pussies to pucker (sorry for the description) as it relates to damages are: have their actions hurt the brand of the big12 has it/will it hurt recruiting now or in the future of the members, have their actions hurt potential win/loss of the athletic departments, etc?

That is why, as I said earlier, the big12 needs to hire the brightest and most aggressive plaintiff litigator to drive them nuts. Yes, they are gone. Make em pay and make it hurt.

The leaders need to evaluate if there are unintended consequences of this approach. Only the presidents, ads and legal teams can make that call.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
My main issue is the ethical actions of OU & Texas leadership over the period they were in conversations with the SEC.

From what I have read, both OU and Texas' President or Athletic Director held positions of Big 12 committee leadership during the period they were in discussions with the SEC. Mainly the working group seeking Big12 Media Rights renewal. IMO that is a pretty series conflict of interest.

I understand why leaders can be obsessed with secrecy, but in the end OU and Texas probably would have been better off being up front with the other 8 schools that they were interested in exploring a new conference. That might be a naive take, but not sure it would have been a big deal. Not like the other schools could have done anything or approached the other P4 conferences with much result.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We are all discussing the black and white issues. The type of conversations/issues that causes the two pussies to pucker (sorry for the description) as it relates to damages are: have their actions hurt the brand of the big12 has it/will it hurt recruiting now or in the future of the members, have their actions hurt potential win/loss of the athletic departments, etc?

That is why, as I said earlier, the big12 needs to hire the brightest and most aggressive plaintiff litigator to drive them nuts. Yes, they are gone. Make em pay and make it hurt.

The leaders need to evaluate if there are unintended consequences of this approach. Only the presidents, ads and legal teams can make that call.

I tend to agree if things fall apart. But I am still hopeful there will be a global approach by the current P5 conferences as to what college football looks like post 2024ish. I am not saying every school will end up on the right side, but at least keep things above board.

Maybe too much to expect. But I think it is possible if ESPN and FOX are the only media rights players for the next round of Big10 and Pac12 media rights renewals. I did not include the Big12 because I think the conference is dead if OU/Texas leave.

With all the chaos and talk of CFB moving to super conferences, I wonder if Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Mississippi and South Carolina will seek some reassurance that they have security in the SEC. Since Texas & OU need 11 schools to agree to their joining the SEC over the next 10-15 years, I would expect those 5 schools will legally strengthen their positions prior to agreeing to add UT/OU.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I tend to agree if things fall apart. But I am still hopeful there will be a global approach by the current P5 conferences as to what college football looks like post 2024ish. I am not saying every school will end up on the right side, but at least keep things above board.

Maybe too much to expect. But I think it is possible if ESPN and FOX are the only media rights players for the next round of Big10 and Pac12 media rights renewals. I did not include the Big12 because I think the conference is dead if OU/Texas leave.

With all the chaos and talk of CFB moving to super conferences, I wonder if Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Mississippi and South Carolina will seek some reassurance that they have security in the SEC. Since Texas & OU need 11 schools to agree to their joining the SEC over the next 10-15 years, I would expect those 5 schools will legally strengthen their positions prior to agreeing to add UT/OU.
Our greatest savings would be if all of those in a situation similar to us got together to make sure the blue bloods didn't stab us all in the collective back. Those in the SEC shouldn't assume they are safe.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'm curious and have no understanding of why only Fox and ESPN are interested in college football? Yeah, ABC is under the Disney umbrella like ESPN so they're covered.

NBC has Notre Dame, I think. But why wouldn't they want more Saturday sports programming?

CBS has NFL. But so does Fox so why are they not interested when Fox is?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'm curious and have no understanding of why only Fox and ESPN are interested in college football? Yeah, ABC is under the Disney umbrella like ESPN so they're covered.

NBC has Notre Dame, I think. But why wouldn't they want more Saturday sports programming?

CBS has NFL. But so does Fox so why are they not interested when Fox is?

Networks can take a different approach. Obviously ESPN's brand is highly focused on being the "Worldwide Leader in Sports", so they are going to want to have as much sports inventory as possible and they may be willing to sacrifice profitability or ROI. I think FOX being aggressive stems from their being the 4th broadcast network Their being a part owner of the Big10 Network has furthered their desire to jump into the college football scene.

Conversely, CBS & NBC are more likely to shy away from the huge investment in sports media. NBC obviously values it relationship with ND. They have invested in soccer and hockey- both sports where they probably aren't paying extraordinary media rights and maybe shorter contract length.

It is still probably the case, but NBC, CBS and ABC are going to look at the investment & profitability of CFB programming vs. "normal" primetime viewing. The networks can invest very little money in programming like Big Brother, Bachelor, Ninja and still get solid advertising revenue.

The other issue with the broadcast networks is there is a split between national & local programming- so the networks have to make it worth while for the local owners (although these are now media conglomerates) to give up airtime the locals have control over.

Postel16

Oct 15, 2020
Well new statement from bowslby and big12 saying they sent a cease and desist order to ESPN and gave the following statement to the register

"The Worldwide leader is the holy grail. When they come and provide incentives to do things — that’s compelling to the conferences. The involvement of ESPN and the other conferences in destabilizing the Big 12, is intended to allow Oklahoma and Texas to get out sooner than the grant of rights calls for. It’s in ESPN’s best interest, it’s in the schools’ best interest — and it’s in the worst interest of the Big 12 Conference. It a tortuous interference in our business.”