Did Kareem Hunt get off easy in this traffic stop?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
With this on public record now, wouldn't anyone cited for open container or marijuana possession be able refer to this in court? If that's appropriate, then anything different than that is discrimination, right?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If you have weed in the car and it's not supposed to be, speeding or doing something to get pulled over is just basically making sure you have problems to deal with.

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm and BWRhasnoAC

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm sure he did get a little preferential treatment, but probably not a big deal.

That all being said, Hunt has problems.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would think he was in violation of his agreement to get back in the NFL. I imagine there was some drug and alcohol language involved.

So let's help him by putting a step by step program together to avoid violating his agreement because he gets paid millions to play a sport.

Step 1: Don't have weed in the car or drink.

Whew, that was a tough one.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
5-0 talked about this on the Morning Rush this morning. He said this scenario plays out more than you'd realize with your average traffic stop and it is up to the discretion of the officer to assess the situation and handle how they feel appropriate. He said if there was no concern of him being impaired then would be hard to go down the OWI path and have it stand up if challenged in court. Also said the open vodka bottle we don't know where it was in the vehicle and if there was any evidence he could have been drinking it while driving so it's another circumstantial situation. He compared it to what if you were at a party of function and took open an open bottle of wine or liquor, just because it is open does not mean the driver was consuming it while driving.

That being said I think Hunt probably got off a little easy on the weed in his possession considering how the officer was talking about him being a Browns player and Hunt's past problems probably factored into that. My bet is the NFL intervenes and suspends him again because you don't have to have an actual citation to be penalized under the code of conduct policies and given his past he probably won't get as much leniency as a 1st time offender might. It does seem like he is going through a rough time and needs to seek out some help considering his comments about how he'd fail a drug test and he's been dealing with some "stuff" lately with his former team being in the Super Bowl makes me think he probably has some mental health issues he needs to address too. As a Chiefs fan it's really sad to see how he's making some poor choices in life and ruining what could be a nice career. He was recruited by Matt Campbell at Toledo and at one point looked like he and Mahomes was going to be a dominant 1-2 punch for a long time before things took a tailspin for him. Hope he gets some help, we have seen too many guys make poor life choices and ruin their careers.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
The cop did a pretty big favor on this one. Kareem thanked him said ...golly gee mr Officer, with this opportunity I'm going to start thinking better and making better choices.

I got $20 saying Hunt lit one up again within 12 hours. Police Officer sticks his neck out and gives a celebrity a break. Police Office will now get ridiculed for what he did all while Hunt will not start thinking better and making better choices. Man I hope I am wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
5-0 talked about this on the Morning Rush this morning. He said this scenario plays out more than you'd realize with your average traffic stop and it is up to the discretion of the officer to assess the situation and handle how they feel appropriate. He said if there was no concern of him being impaired then would be hard to go down the OWI path and have it stand up if challenged in court. Also said the open vodka bottle we don't know where it was in the vehicle and if there was any evidence he could have been drinking it while driving so it's another circumstantial situation. He compared it to what if you were at a party of function and took open an open bottle of wine or liquor, just because it is open does not mean the driver was consuming it while driving.

I can believe it. But it's also a matter of public perception. I can understand how a lot of people would see/hear about this and automatically think that Hunt got off easy solely because the cop is a Browns fan.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
A LOT of municipalities have passed laws basically saying their DA won't press charges on minor weed offenses. I wonder if Cleveland has such a law.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
A LOT of municipalities have passed laws basically saying their DA won't press charges on minor weed offenses. I wonder if Cleveland has such a law.

I didn't watch the full video but one account I read said that the officer told Hunt that the confiscated weed would still be tested and Hunt could still be charged with possession.

Coincidentally, the Cleveland city council just passed marijuana decriminalization legislation yesterday.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/l...ssion/95-7416b6f3-076a-481c-a26e-2e3620c8a64e

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron