Devin Hester

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
The Bears should seriously consider getting Hester more involved on offense.

The only reason that the Bears won the game today was because of him. A 75 yard punt return TD, followed by an 88 yard kick off return for a touch down.

The Broncos finally decided to try and not kick to Hester, and because of that fact, Sauerbrun had a punt blocked which setup the game tying touch down.

Then of course in OT the Broncos had to squib kick again, and the Bears drove down for the game winning FG... The guy is AMAZING!

The only thing I can figure is Hester is having a hard time grasping the offense. I think that he has been practicing with the offensive unit all year...

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
I'm really impressed. I thought he just caught some breaks last year and was seriously doubting he could have a solid season as a return man again. Ted Ginn needs to send him a big thank you and probably a part of his rookie contract for getting picked so high as a return man.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
I think the reason they don't get him that involved in the offense is because he's not really that good of a football player. He's fast, and can return kicks like nobody else, but as far as a receiver he's not that good. Sure, you can throw him some screens and he'll make something out of them, but honestly that's the most I see him doing, maybe some end arounds or reverses. I don't think I've seen him do anything at the receiver position in 2 years.

ss

Apr 10, 2006
hazleton
the thing about hester is hes explosive when he can see the entire field. i think the bears are keeping him in limited action on offense so he doesnt get hurt and is fresh for returns. i mean, lets face, he has a better chance of scoring himself then our offense.

Tweedt4Cy

Apr 14, 2007
Ankeny
The one thing that i did notice is that when you do kick to him he either returns it or he fumbles. I think the bears a worried about his fumbling issues as well as there gonna wait to unleash him as a reciever. Hes the best returner ever, but i think he needs to work on his ball handling.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Do I think using him more on offense would decrease his ability to make an impact on special teams? Yes....yes I do.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Physically he isn't anything other than a returner. He isn't overly tall so making him a full-time reciever isn't going to work that well. He affects the game even if they don't kick it to him. I say let him do what he does best and leave it at that. You can use him on the offense from time to time and as a decoy.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The guy kind of reminds me of Dante Hall, although Hall could actually play a little bit of receiver. However, Hall's never going to be remembered for what he did at the receiver position (as he did very little), but for the way he was tearing up the league as a returner a couple of years ago. Where's Hall at now? Unfortunately, the shelf life for kick returners is even worse than that for RBs, and Hall is probably past his shelf life as a kick returner. Unless Hester can develop some kind of skill at some position outside of a kick returner, he won't last in the league.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
The Bears' receivers couldn't catch the ball with 4 hands and a net, so if Devin Hester was even decent at the position we would be seeing him a lot more. He's been in the league for 2 years now, it can't be a matter of not being able to pick up the offense. The problem is that he is not a wide receiver, he is a one trick pony, he returns kicks and does it very well. The unfortunate thing for him is that you can't do that for long, first time he gets a nagging injury that slows down his speed he's done for. I liken him to the DH in baseball, he comes out, hits a homerun every now and then, but doesn't really play the game.

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
The Bears need to dump Gross Rexman and have Devin be the QB. He can pass to himself and score all the TDs.

:v_SPIN:

The Bears have made me crazy (ier) this year. How can Grossman be so inconsistent? How can Lovie keep playing him? Are Griese and Orton that bad? WHEN are the Bears going to get a REAL quarterback? I've been a a Bears fan since the late 60's and I am still waiting for a REAL QB.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The Bears need to dump Gross Rexman and have Devin be the QB. He can pass to himself and score all the TDs.

:v_SPIN:

The Bears have made me crazy (ier) this year. How can Grossman be so inconsistent? How can Lovie keep playing him? Are Griese and Orton that bad? WHEN are the Bears going to get a REAL quarterback? I've been a a Bears fan since the late 60's and I am still waiting for a REAL QB.

Griese - mostly got hurt, but wasn't exactly tearing it up while he was in there
Orton - just that bad. Why would anyone affiliated with the Bears organization, whether employee or die-hard fan, cringe at the thought of Orton being Grossman's backup if he was a viable option to actually play QB?

Cy-n Maker

Nov 8, 2007
Ankeny
When will teams learn that you stand a better change giving Grossman and the offense the ball at the fifty every time, than you would at kicking it to Hester 8 yards deep in the endzone.

Don't get me wrong I love my Bears, but they have major issues on Offense.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
When will teams learn that you stand a better change giving Grossman and the offense the ball at the fifty every time, than you would at kicking it to Hester 8 yards deep in the endzone.

That bit the Broncos in Overtime though... Give grossman the ball with good field position and it only takes one pass to one of the talented TE's and you are in field goal range... Benson getting hurt might have been one of the best things to happen to the Bears...

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

That's the good thing about Hester...several times the Bears got great field position because the Broncos tried to kick it away from him. Hester impacts the team by just being out there, even if he doesn't get to return the ball.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

Better yet have Hester line up at QB in a shot gun about 25 yards behind the line of scrimmage and spread out the offense. Then every long snap is like a punt to Hester. :biggrin:

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I think the problem stems from the fact that he's not good. I think it's a misnomer to say he's inconsistent. I'd say he's consistently bad with flashes of adequacy.

Adequacy? I really compare it more to a blind hen finding an acorn.

CyBandCG

Dec 11, 2006
Ames, IA
Did anybody see the stats, he has 10 returns in 27 games, the most in a career is 13 and that was in over 200 games. He just sees the field so well and will burn anybody in the NFL. He is such a game changer of course, and a very exciting player to watch.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Devin just showed why he'll only be a KO returner in the NFL. Lines up at WR, gets 10 yards past the DB's and drops an uncharacteristically well thrown ball from Grossman. Time to realize that when the offense is on the field that's your time to recuperate between returns, not catch passes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron