Detailed Nevada scouting report....if you like to read

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Nevada Wolfpack- scouting report

I watched a few of Nevada's games from the latter part of their season and here are my notes and observations. In summary, Nevada is a talented offensive team. For a recent ISU reference imagine a team made up of a bunch of Deandre Kane's and Dustin Hogue's running around. This is small ball, positionless college basketball at its finest. As many have mentioned Nevada's offense will look very similar to "Hoiball". Nevada's offense relies heavily on dribble drives for easy 2s first, but willing and wanting to kick out to shooters spaced around the 3pt line.

More than any other team that ISU has played this season, Nevada relies on getting to the FT line to produce points. Defensively, Nevada's opponents seldom get to the FT line and ISU has not been great at getting to the FT line to begin with. With ISU's emphasis on getting steals and creating turnovers- how this game is officiated will be important.

Despite being a talented and athletic offensive team, ISU is the superior team. There is not much for ISU to be afraid of Nevada defensively- and if anything there will be MANY opportunities for ISU to take advantage of Nevada's porous defense resulting in uncontested, high quality shots. Unsurprisingly, if shots fall for ISU (as they have most of the season) they will very likely come out on top.

NevadaPersonnel.PNG
OFFENSE

Transition:

• Willing to take quick 3s in transition- while constantly pushing 2 players to fill out the 3 pt. wings

Half-Court:

• Most of their offensive is based on dribble drives and kicks to 3 pt. shooters (really all 5 players are capable 3 pt. shooters)
    • A lot of dribble drives often looking 1st for easy 2s, but great at getting kick outs to 3 point shooters
    • Most players very capable dribble drivers willing, wanting, & able kick to shooters lined up on 3pt line.
    • Always looking for 3 pt shooters after deep dribble drives- not often on corners, however.
    • A lot of dribble drive & replace- great at maintaining offensive spacing throughout offensive flow.
    • Marshall & Oliver take and make difficult, contested 3s off the dribble and catch & shoot
  • All 5 players have green light to shoot- little hesitation to fire away
    • ALL 5 capable, high 3 pt % shooters
  • Not great shot selection and not great with time & score. Most shots are close 2s and 3s BUT:
    • Long 2s occur and are often contested jumpers while trying to breakdown defender off the dribble
  • Many creative offensive sets used, but not much "early offense" (most points are from transition and quick, efficient half-court sets
    • Most often to free up 3 pt opportunities for Marshall and Fenner, and close 2s for Caroline
    • Great spacing, will overload side to isolate for 1 on 1 mismatches.
  • Offensive success relies heavily on getting to the FT line
    • For every 10 FG they shoot 4 FTs which ranks them 30 out of 351 teams
    • Shoots decent FT% at 70.3
    • In 4 of 5 Nevada losses the game FT rate was below their season average

Offensive Rebounding:

• Most often send 2 players to offensive glass (Caroline & Oliver)
  • Many long rebounds- ISU guards will need to really rebound

DEFENSE

Transition:
  • Will use token pressure full-court, ¾ court press to speed up tempo
  • Tend to focus on stopping transition layups while not great at stopping ball- even still Nevada is not great at picking up wings in to prevent transition 3s, however. Open 3s in transition will be there

Half-Court:
  • Really like to push out beyond 3 pt line to pressure wings and key to prevent easy 3 pts shots.
    • They rarely deny passing lanes and gamble on steals- often time allowing the passes around the perimeter to simply be in good position to apply pressure and prevent easy 3s
    • Back door cuts will be there all day
    • Overloading a side with shooters and baseline runner actions will work create easy ISU shots on the Nevada defense-particularly corner 3s for Thomas and Mitrou-Long
  • Poor rotations on dribble drives
    • 3 point shooters will have chances at uncontested 3s -> active, quick ball rotation from side-to-side and dribble drives will really make the Nevada defense porous
  • Not decisive on defending ball screens- ISU’s ability to exploit their ball screen defense will be imperative
    • Uses occasional aggressive double ball screens to gets traps and steals
  • A lot of ball watching- gets easily lost on help man defense.
  • No great post defenders
    • Compensates with opportunistic doubling on post-ups (passes out of the post will lead to open 3s and cutters)
    • Nevada post-defenders leave feet often for blocks (ample opportunities for ISU to draw fouls & shoot FTs and get some rare offensive rebounds)

Defensive Rebounding:
  • Athletic rebounding team (chasing and jumping for ball)- BUT not great positioning and getting a body on opposition
  • Oftentimes send 3 defensive rebounders.
    • Marshall rarely goes for rebounds.
    • Drew is a great rebounder for a guard.

MISCELLANEOUS
  • Thrives on momentum/streaks which leads to playing with great confidence/swagger
  • Player’s play with a lot of emotion
  • Musselman is pretty animated and competitive on sidelines as well (helps “fan” the proverbial flames (flames=emotion/confidence of players)
  • Mussellman is 0-4 in the NCAA tournament as a player and a coach. He is using that a motivation for his players against ISU

Last edited:

BattleReady

Mar 12, 2017
Now that's how you blind people with science! Tangible effort put into writing all of that, and hard to disagree with much of it.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

Yeah that was interesting. So was this quote in the article: "but they have a lot of what we're told are called "signature wins," and that seems to check out."

I think if you have to be told that beating Kansas at Kansas, Baylor, West Virginia, and Oklahoma State 3 times are signature wins then you're probably lagging behind on your CBB knowledge for the year.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Yeah that was interesting. So was this quote in the article: "but they have a lot of what we're told are called "signature wins," and that seems to check out."

I think if you have to be told that beating Kansas at Kansas, Baylor, West Virginia, and Oklahoma State 3 times are signature wins then you're probably lagging behind on your CBB knowledge for the year.

Funny how all the pundits seem to forget that regarding this match up.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Funny how all the pundits seem to forget that regarding this match up.

Nevada is no doubt a good team and could win this game, but I agree. It's like they didn't pay attention to ISU and just thought ISU slipped in because they won the tournament. ISU has won 10 of the last 12 games - the same as Nevada. Except ISU beat 2 top 10 teams, a top 15 team, a 10 seed twice, and an 11 seed in that stretch.

I'm glad though because at least for half of the year and parts of some other years, our guys would get a little cocky when people were all about them. They should have something to prove. The reason Nevada doesn't scare me as much as other teams is because they aren't the type of team we usually do really poorly against. They're an athletic team which our guys can run with. If we can beat a team like Kansas, we can beat Nevada as long as the team (players and coaches) do their jobs and don't overlook Nevada. I'd be more scared if they had length too. It's March though, so no reason to overlook any team.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Nevada is no doubt a good team and could win this game, but I agree. It's like they didn't pay attention to ISU and just thought ISU slipped in because they won the tournament. ISU has won 10 of the last 12 games - the same as Nevada. Except ISU beat 2 top 10 teams, a top 15 team, a 10 seed twice, and an 11 seed in that stretch.

I'm glad though because at least for half of the year and parts of some other years, our guys would get a little cocky when people were all about them. They should have something to prove. The reason Nevada doesn't scare me as much as other teams is because they aren't the type of team we usually do really poorly against. They're an athletic team which our guys can run with. If we can beat a team like Kansas, we can beat Nevada as long as the team (players and coaches) do their jobs and don't overlook Nevada. I'd be more scared if they had length too. It's March though, so no reason to overlook any team.

I really don't think our seniors are going to take this game lightly. Here is another good read from the C.R. Gazette
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/cyclones-have-a-lot-of-respect-for-nevada-20170313

Another interesting quote from the Wolfpack article: "I’ll venture to say this is the worst draw in Milwaukee that Nevada could’ve hoped for. One area that could conceivably swing this game in Nevada’s favor is rebounding: Iowa State is surprisingly not great at it, and the Pack have rebounded well during their current winning streak."

ISU rebounding is up 2x in the last four games.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I really don't think our seniors are going to take this game lightly. Here is another good read from the C.R. Gazette
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/cyclones-have-a-lot-of-respect-for-nevada-20170313

Another interesting quote from the Wolfpack article: "I’ll venture to say this is the worst draw in Milwaukee that Nevada could’ve hoped for. One area that could conceivably swing this game in Nevada’s favor is rebounding: Iowa State is surprisingly not great at it, and the Pack have rebounded well during their current winning streak."

ISU rebounding is up 2x in the last four games.

Yeah, I don't doubt that they're not overlooking Nevada. I think a few years ago with UAB - ISU was a trendy pick and they definitely overlooked them. They were also IMO a bit gassed from some of the games late in the year. They had a bunch of come from behind wins so in hindsight - a bit different than this year.

There's also a lot of seniors and the quote from Naz kind of implies that they know any game could be their last collegiate games. I'm sure they don't want it to end right away...

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneBBFan

BattleReady

Mar 12, 2017

I'm pretty sure his tongue was firmly in cheek when he said that, and that he was also making light of Nevada's own lack of wins in that area. ;)

Last edited:

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Yeah, I don't doubt that they're not overlooking Nevada. I think a few years ago with UAB - ISU was a trendy pick and they definitely overlooked them. They were also IMO a bit gassed from some of the games late in the year. They had a bunch of come from behind wins so in hindsight - a bit different than this year.

There's also a lot of seniors and the quote from Naz kind of implies that they know any game could be their last collegiate games. I'm sure they don't want it to end right away...

One of our current strengths I believe will be our bench. A lot of people overlooking that IMO. Conversely, Nevada has only six. Fouls could be a big factor. If one or two of their guys get into foul trouble could spell doom. Hopefully, we'll be attacking the basket all night as their defense is a weak spot.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
With all the talk of them not playing defense, I full expect them to sell out on defense in a one game season.

The hope would be they'd eventually wear down sort of like NCC in 2014. I think that was a 6 point lead at half and it was all ISU after the break.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
With all the talk of them not playing defense, I full expect them to sell out on defense in a one game season.

The hope would be they'd eventually wear down sort of like NCC in 2014. I think that was a 6 point lead at half and it was all ISU after the break.
They have great athletes and play good on ball defense. Their weakness is they are very poor on defensive help man rotations. Get the ball flying around and there will be many open ISU looks. We need decisive Burton. We also need to limit a few of those wasted ISU possessions where it seems like ISU is standing around, not knowing what to do, or waiting for someone to make something happen individually.

p.s. Caroline tries to clean up a lot of the defensive mistakes with blocks. He gets a lot of blocks, but it is also the source for fouls called and available ISU offensive rebounds.

@Tlemieux72

Mar 12, 2017
Reno, NV
strengthenthepack.com
Nevada Wolfpack- scouting report

I watched a few of Nevada's games from the latter part of their season and here are my notes and observations. In summary, Nevada is a talented offensive team. For a recent ISU reference imagine a team made up of a bunch of Deandre Kane's and Dustin Hogue's running around. This is small ball, positionless college basketball at its finest. As many have mentioned Nevada's offense will look very similar to "Hoiball". Nevada's offense relies heavily on dribble drives for easy 2s first, but willing and wanting to kick out to shooters spaced around the 3pt line.

More than any other team that ISU has played this season, Nevada relies on getting to the FT line to produce points. Defensively, Nevada's opponents seldom get to the FT line and ISU has not been great at getting to the FT line to begin with. With ISU's emphasis on getting steals and creating turnovers- how this game is officiated will be important.

Despite being a talented and athletic offensive team, ISU is the superior team. There is not much for ISU to be afraid of Nevada defensively- and if anything there will be MANY opportunities for ISU to take advantage of Nevada's porous defense resulting in uncontested, high quality shots. Unsurprisingly, if shots fall for ISU (as they have most of the season) they will very likely come out on top.

View attachment 47001
OFFENSE

Transition:

• Willing to take quick 3s in transition- while constantly pushing 2 players to fill out the 3 pt. wings

Half-Court:

• Most of their offensive is based on dribble drives and kicks to 3 pt. shooters (really all 5 players are capable 3 pt. shooters)
    • A lot of dribble drives often looking 1st for easy 2s, but great at getting kick outs to 3 point shooters
    • Most players very capable dribble drivers willing, wanting, & able kick to shooters lined up on 3pt line.
    • Always looking for 3 pt shooters after deep dribble drives- not often on corners, however.
    • A lot of dribble drive & replace- great at maintaining offensive spacing throughout offensive flow.
    • Marshall & Oliver take and make difficult, contested 3s off the dribble and catch & shoot
  • All 5 players have green light to shoot- little hesitation to fire away
    • ALL 5 capable, high 3 pt % shooters
  • Not great shot selection and not great with time & score. Most shots are close 2s and 3s BUT:
    • Long 2s occur and are often contested jumpers while trying to breakdown defender off the dribble
  • Many creative offensive sets used, but not much "early offense" (most points are from transition and quick, efficient half-court sets
    • Most often to free up 3 pt opportunities for Marshall and Fenner, and close 2s for Caroline
    • Great spacing, will overload side to isolate for 1 on 1 mismatches.
  • Offensive success relies heavily on getting to the FT line
    • For every 10 FG they shoot 4 FTs which ranks them 30 out of 351 teams
    • Shoots decent FT% at 70.3
    • In 4 of 5 Nevada losses the game FT rate was below their season average

Offensive Rebounding:

• Most often send 2 players to offensive glass (Caroline & Oliver)
  • Many long rebounds- ISU guards will need to really rebound

DEFENSE

Transition:
  • Will use token pressure full-court, ¾ court press to speed up tempo
  • Tend to focus on stopping transition layups while not great at stopping ball- even still Nevada is not great at picking up wings in to prevent transition 3s, however. Open 3s in transition will be there

Half-Court:
  • Really like to push out beyond 3 pt line to pressure wings and key to prevent easy 3 pts shots.
    • They rarely deny passing lanes and gamble on steals- often time allowing the passes around the perimeter to simply be in good position to apply pressure and prevent easy 3s
    • Back door cuts will be there all day
    • Overloading a side with shooters and baseline runner actions will work create easy ISU shots on the Nevada defense-particularly corner 3s for Thomas and Mitrou-Long
  • Poor rotations on dribble drives
    • 3 point shooters will have chances at uncontested 3s -> active, quick ball rotation from side-to-side and dribble drives will really make the Nevada defense porous
  • Not decisive on defending ball screens- ISU’s ability to exploit their ball screen defense will be imperative
    • Uses occasional aggressive double ball screens to gets traps and steals
  • A lot of ball watching- gets easily lost on help man defense.
  • No great post defenders
    • Compensates with opportunistic doubling on post-ups (passes out of the post will lead to open 3s and cutters)
    • Nevada post-defenders leave feet often for blocks (ample opportunities for ISU to draw fouls & shoot FTs and get some rare offensive rebounds)

Defensive Rebounding:
  • Athletic rebounding team (chasing and jumping for ball)- BUT not great positioning and getting a body on opposition
  • Oftentimes send 3 defensive rebounders.
    • Marshall rarely goes for rebounds.
    • Drew is a great rebounder for a guard.

MISCELLANEOUS
  • Thrives on momentum/streaks which leads to playing with great confidence/swagger
  • Player’s play with a lot of emotion
  • Musselman is pretty animated and competitive on sidelines as well (helps “fan” the proverbial flames (flames=emotion/confidence of players)

Not sure where you got all that info but I must say I'm impressed. It is spot on

@Tlemieux72

Mar 12, 2017
Reno, NV
strengthenthepack.com

Yeah I'm not sure what the author was talking about, because, at least speaking for myself, when the bracket was announced I was screaming nooooooooo. I was praying we'd get Minnesota.