Des Moines Chrysler e-mail

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Just got this and thought I would send it on. I checked it out, it is legit.

>> We need your help to spread the word regarding Des Moines Chrysler
>> and owner/general manager Gene Ganz Gabus.
>>
>> We have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. Since the day we bought it we
>> have complained it does not take bumps very well. We took the
>> vehicle to Des Moines Chrysler within days of buying it and they
>> replaced the shocks. After driving on the new shocks we called
>> back to complain it still didn't seem right. We were told that
>> with the stow and go seating the suspension is different and itIS
>> going to ride different. We took their word. After driving on it
>> even longer we set up an appointment and asked them to look agai
>> because something was definitely not right. They could not find
>> the cause. We drove on it even longer. We again called back and
>> said it just doesn't seem right. Again, we were told the
>> suspension was different to accommodate the stow and go seating.
>> We drove on it even longer. We took it back to them a 3rd time
>> complaining there had to be something wrong. Again, they said
>> nothing was wrong. This was all done under warranty. Since then
>> our warranty has expired. We took it to them again last week and
>> demanded a technician ride with us. The technician agreed
>> something was not right. After checking the van out for the
>> fourthtime he determined there was a bad leaf spring (a spring that
>> goes from the middle of the van to the rear). Des Moines Chrysler
>> will not pay to have it fixed because the warranty has expired. We
>> argued that we had them examine it 3 times under warranty and it
>> took them this long to find the problem. They will not budge. I
>> was told by another dealership to tell them it should be fixed
>> under the good will warranty since we had it in under warranty 3
>> times. Des Moines Chrysler's service manager told me they could
>> not file it under the good will warranty because their dealership
>> is too small. I asked to speak to his manager. I was referred to
>> general manager/owner Gene Ganz Gabus. I went into his office
>> Friday October 12th with my to sons (7 and 4) in tow. While trying
>> to discuss the situation with him my 4 year old son, who has
>> autism, was trying to touch things on his desk. I was doing my
>> best to redirect him while I talked with Mr. Gabus. After speaking
>> with Mr. Gabus for a few minutes I brought up the good will
>> warranty. Mr. Gabus Mr. Gabus became very irritated and asked me
>> who told me there was a good will warranty, because there is no
>> such thing. (Remember, HIS service manager told me there was such
>> a warranty, but their dealership was too small to give it too
>> us.) Mr. Gabus was focusing on my son the whole time and told me
>> my son does not mind very well. I replied, "He has autism and
>> can't help it." To which, Mr. Gabus replied, "He didn't care what
>> he has and if he touched his desk one more time he would tell me
>> what he would do TO him". I said very firmly, "sir, he has autism
>> and doesn't know better." Mr. Gabus replied, "I don't care." I
>> said, "sir, do you know what autism is." Mr. Gabus interrupted my
>> explanation of the disorder saying, "I don't care and if he touches
>> my desk again I will tell you what I am going to do TO him." At
>> this point I became very upset that he would threaten my 4 year
>> old son. (In front, of my 7 year old son none the less.) I left
>> his office and immediately came home and called Chrysler
>> headquarters to file a complaint against Mr. Gabus. We feel Mr.
>> Gabus knows we are right to expect them to fix our van under the
>> good will warranty and because he is immature, he chose to take his
>> frustration out on a little boy.
>>
>> Please send this to all of your friends, family and co-workers to
>> let them know what kind of man Mr. Gabus is and what kind of
>> dealership he is running. It really doesn't matter that my son has
>> autism. What does matter is that this is a grown man threatening a
>> small child. All because he knows our complaint is legitimate.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Scott and Rena Wilder, Urbandale, Iowa

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
My stories aren't so extreme, but just let me say that I have had a bad experience at Des Moines Chrysler and wouldn never buy a vehicle there either. I even got a calendar sent to me of me standing in front of my car looking like I was going to strangle the guy who sold me the car. They call me all the time and I tell them that I wouldn't deal with them if they gave me the cars for half price. Send this story to the Register or KCCI if you want attention.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I would bet this is something if this person kept the service receipts from all the times they went in they could have a good case against them and threaten legal action. Regardless I would never do business there again if I had to go through that.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I always kind of discard that kind of stuff. As someone who deals with the general public every day, there are those people out there who you just can't please, and some who aren't able to control their emotions, and even, if you will believe this, lie. I'm not saying that these people are lying, because it could be a completely true story. There's just some wackos out there.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Just an FYI, you do not have to take you car to the place you bought to have warranty work done.

Gabus sucks, my parents bought a used car from them, had it repaired somewhere else. Other dealership told them that the car was a year older than they what Gabus sold it as. They threaten to sue and got money in return. Their business practices are shady to say the least.

Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
I always kind of discard that kind of stuff. As someone who deals with the general public every day, there are those people out there who you just can't please, and some who aren't able to control their emotions, and even, if you will believe this, lie. I'm not saying that these people are lying, because it could be a completely true story. There's just some wackos out there.

Yup, i see it the same way. If things were truly like this, this dealership wouldn't do well enough to stay in business. I'm in retail and there truly are some people that you just can't please and become easily aggitated, and then take it up with the big cheese of my company and tell a completely different story.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just remember that Gabus also owns the Ford dealership across the street along with Toyota of Des Moines.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've hated him every since he started the worst campaign in the history of cars. He used to have the "I'm 75 years old so I'm going to give you $75 off each car". Not $75 over invoice, $75 off each car. I don't care that Ford has a $3,000 rebate just make sure to give me that $75 off and my free piece of cake.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I don't get it. I thought that dealers loved to do warranty work because it was the parent company that paid for the repairs and not the dealer themselves. Is this wrong? Why would they wait until the warranty was up if they were getting the same money anyway? I thought this was why they always do the million point inspection every time you get your oil changed so they can find something wrong with it that they can repair under warranty.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I was offered a job in their accounting department a few years ago. I decided not to take the job since I felt they were kind of shady. I felt that it seemed to filter through to other departments too.

My neighbor had a warranty issue with them too with regards to her truck. They fixed it once and it was still not right. They would not do the repair again (between phone calls and in person visits she contacted them about 20 times) because they said the bed was not supposed to be 'totally even.'

She took it to another Ford dealer and they fixed it right away.

I will buy a Toyota for my next vehicle but it will not be purchased from them.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This would be why I drive a BMW.

Or a Chevy...

My family and myself have owned nothing but GM cars and had great luck with them and when there was warranty work to be done it wasn't a hassle. Plus that my grandpa worked for GM, the employee pricing that trickles down is not a bad thing to have either. :wink:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Interesting...we're in the market for a used Caravan and last Saturday we stopped in to look at a used van. I'm definitely going to factor this in to my decision of where we purchase.

I didn't have a bad experience while I was there but the salesperson tried every trick possible to try and get me to buy right there and then. I know every sales guy has a certain amount of lines they'll throw your way but this guy threw every line at me.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Interesting...we're in the market for a used Caravan and last Saturday we stopped in to look at a used van. I'm definitely going to factor this in to my decision of where we purchase.

I didn't have a bad experience while I was there but the salesperson tried every trick possible to try and get me to buy right there and then. I know every sales guy has a certain amount of lines they'll throw your way but this guy threw every line at me.

while i envy your very low number... it is actually #26... but who is counting... I am just tipping my hat.

-keep

jperickson23

Apr 10, 2006
Des Moines
I used to be a branch manager at a popular car rental company that specialized in renting to customers who were getting work done on their cars. We dealt with all car company car dealerships (Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Audi, and of course Chrysler and Dodge). By far, and I mean a huge margin, the most disatisfied, angry and just plain pissed off customers were from the Chrysler/Dodge dealerships. It wasn't even close. It does not surprise me that this guy had ongoings problems with a Dodge Caravan. It does surprise me that a "man" such as Gabus would behave in such a manor.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

Completely agree, great post.

Not sure why he/she would take his/her sons into the guy's office with him/her. Especially when he/she knows his/her son would be a distraction (I understand autism, and am not demeaning the child in any way). If he did indeed react that way (which I doubt he did) then Chrysler does need to be notified.

As previously stated, any Chrysler dealership can perform warranty work. If they were not satisfied with the answer they were getting, they should have gone to Granger Motors or something. As a consumer, you must be aware of your options. Especially on such a big ticket item as a vehicle.

Last edited:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
while i envy your very low number... it is actually #26... but who is counting... I am just tipping my hat.

-keep

26? Really? Dang...I've had that sig for so long I almost forgot. I thought I remembered somewhere along the line getting info that I was the 25th registered user.