MLB: Des Moines Baseball Market

Is Des Moines a Yanks/Sox Market or Cardinals/Cubs Market?

• Yankees/Sox

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Cardinals/Cubs

Votes: 109 92.4%

• Total voters

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
This happened last Tuesday night - the Cubs game was on CSN, and since Mediacom doesn't carry CSN, I figured I would watch the Cards/Mets game. I turn it to 832, but all I got was a test pattern. The guide says Cards/Mets, but nothing shows up. So I called up Mediacom, asked what was up.

It turns out that the Cards/Mets game last Tuesday was one of two Cardinal games this month that will be blacked out for Mediacom customers - the next blackout is on the 18th. I asked the lady on the phone what the reasoning behind it was - if MLB and Mediacom just stuck a calendar on the wall and threw darts at it, and whatever days they landed on were the blackout dates.

Of course, she didn't know, and she shouldn't have, because there really is no rhyme or reason to it.

The Cardinals are the ones who set this. It was discussed on one of the sport shows last week... Maybe Murph and Andy or something. The Cardinals set it, and Mediacom has no say about it.

So getting mad that a girl didn't know, which technically shouldn't be her job to know which games are subject to blackouts, is just stupid. I'm sure with all of Mediacom channels she should know when things are on and why. She doesn't set the program on tv.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
The hot local topic for Monday's shows should have been (and was on some) the Barnstormers.

Yes... Because that story wasn't covered by everyone and their dog this weekend. Sound off... Out of Bounds... Murph and Andy... Tirrell...

Plus... I love the Barnstormers... But it is AFL2... And if it wasn't for a classless coach, beer, and some no class hawk fans (guy who started the fight with the coach called sound off.. Admitted he is a Hawk fan ) this really wouldn't be a story or even mentioned past 1 day.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
The Cardinals are the ones who set this. It was discussed on one of the sport shows last week... Maybe Murph and Andy or something. The Cardinals set it, and Mediacom has no say about it.

So getting mad that a girl didn't know, which technically shouldn't be her job to know which games are subject to blackouts, is just stupid. I'm sure with all of Mediacom channels she should know when things are on and why. She doesn't set the program on tv.

I get that, and I wasn't mad at her. If the Cubs had been on that night, it wouldn't have mattered, because I would have been watching them. It just seems odd that Mediacom would agree to black out certain games, and keep others on the air - it just seems completely arbitrary.

One thing Mediacom can do, and has the capability to do, is let it's customers know what games are going to be broadcast and what games are going to be blacked out. I'm not a technical whiz kid by any means, but I can't imagine that putting a blackout notice in the program guide is that difficult.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I miss the Jon Miller show from 2-4!! He had Ray Malour of stlcardinals.scout.com at least every other week, had that Cubs guy on a regular basis. Jon had Rob Howe and Cyclone talking heads on his show with regularity. His show was fairly balanced, aside of his sly comments and occasional Hawk propoganda, etc, but I miss the organization of his show and the fact that he didn't go off topic that often.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I get that, and I wasn't mad at her. If the Cubs had been on that night, it wouldn't have mattered, because I would have been watching them. It just seems odd that Mediacom would agree to black out certain games, and keep others on the air - it just seems completely arbitrary.

One thing Mediacom can do, and has the capability to do, is let it's customers know what games are going to be broadcast and what games are going to be blacked out. I'm not a technical whiz kid by any means, but I can't imagine that putting a blackout notice in the program guide is that difficult.

That all comes down to money... Mediacom has those games blacked out, cause they don't want to pay more money to play them.

So... in other words.... If Mediacom did pick up the games... They would have a reason to raise rates even more then what they are for no reason next month. Personally... I can live without the added costs or games.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
I admit - the Red Sox talk in the Midwest can be rather boring....but the point was the talk about the biggest sports story of the weekend. The Papi press conference was a major turning point for the Union. It was really interesting.

Like I said, the story was unavoidable. It's more the Red Sox homerism that annoys me...the predictable apologetic stance on Ortiz. :wink:

It's funny because I remember how you went off on Barroid for years...not all the sudden there is some questioning of the information being leaked about the list you find every plausible excuse in the book for Ortiz. :smile:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Royals
Royals are out of it, is there anything to look forward to? Butler, player od the week... Did the injuries keep them from making the moves they wanted to get younger? Will Aaron Crow ever sign or will he go through the draft a THIRD time?

Royals fans have next April and May to look forward to, when they're still in the race and are proudly proclaiming that "this year is the year!" and getting all ****** off when Twins and White Sox fans are laughing at them because they've said the same thing for the last several seasons now... :laugh:

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
It's not bad, it's just outdated. MLB's territory map dates back to late 1960's, and they haven't been in any hurry to change it. When the Cubs were broadcasting every game on WGN, it wasn't a problem, because every cable carrier around had WGN on their basic package, and every Cubs game was on WGN.

The problem here in Des Moines is that this is Cubs town; but the local cable company - Mediacom - never bothered to make the switch to CSN when the Cubs did. Basically what that means is that whenever the Cubs have a nationally televised game thats subject to blackout restrictions - like Wednesdays game is - that Mediacom customers get frozen out because the morons that run that company don't know the demographics of the market. MLB assumes that anyone who lives in a teams "territory" all ready has the station that the majority of that teams games are on - MLB is assuming that Mediacom carries CSN.

This.

It is even worse if you aren't a cubs/cards fan. Royals games are on Fox Sports KC which is rarely on Mediacom 22 and same for the Twins on Fox Sports North. I'm guessing you can probably get all these channels with some digital cable package, but I'm perennially ****** that I can't just pay the $125 a year for MLBTV and watch all the games I want. Hell, I'd be willing to pay even more if they'd get rid of all the black outs.

I'll still keep paying like a sucker to get the Red Sox games, but I can't watch any game they play against the 6 teams mentioned before, even when it is broadcast only on NESN.

Reactions: Cyznutz

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Royals fans have next April and May to look forward to, when they're still in the race and are proudly proclaiming that "this year is the year!" and getting all ****** off when Twins and White Sox fans are laughing at them because they've said the same thing for the last several seasons now... :laugh:

Do the Royals fans truly have anything to really look forward to except another year of ownership milking the profit sharing model?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Do the Royals fans truly have anything to really look forward to except another year of ownership milking the profit sharing model?

Probably not, but that likely won't be the mindset in March, April, and May of '10.

By the way, switch out "Royals" for "Pirates" and the statement is just as relevant. I'm convinced that owner has had no incentive to spend an extra dime on that team ever since he opened his new stadium...

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Probably not, but that likely won't be the mindset in March, April, and May of '10.

No, probably not from the fan perspective, but I was asking in terms of reality. I almost got the feeling a year ago or so they might be making a concerted effort to do something, but I must have been mistaken.

By the way, switch out "Royals" for "Pirates" and the statement is just as relevant. I'm convinced that owner has had no incentive to spend an extra dime on that team ever since he opened his new stadium...

Yeah, I totally agree...I end up following the Pirates news a little more closely just from collateral damage on Steelers boards.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
This.

It is even worse if you aren't a cubs/cards fan. Royals games are on Fox Sports KC which is rarely on Mediacom 22 and same for the Twins on Fox Sports North. I'm guessing you can probably get all these channels with some digital cable package, but I'm perennially ****** that I can't just pay the $125 a year for MLBTV and watch all the games I want. Hell, I'd be willing to pay even more if they'd get rid of all the black outs.

I'll still keep paying like a sucker to get the Red Sox games, but I can't watch any game they play against the 6 teams mentioned before, even when it is broadcast only on NESN.

If you're referring to MLB on-line offerings, you're right on the money. Because the billing zip code for your credit card is in Cubs/White Sox/etc. territory, that means that even though you're paying for it, there are going to be certain games that you won't be able to watch, because once again, the league assumes that since you live in this market that you should have that channel.

Mediacom not offering CSN makes about as much sense as the local cable company in Montpelier not offering NESN, or the cable company in Albany not offering YES.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
At least the Pirates now have a plan and some depth in their farm system. They have also been spending big dollars to sign their draft picks... They are still trying to fix what the previous regime ruined. Going forward they have some good young arms and promising players to build on.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
At least the Pirates now have a plan and some depth in their farm system. They have also been spending big dollars to sign their draft picks... They are still trying to fix what the previous regime ruined. Going forward they have some good young arms and promising players to build on.

I'll say what I say with KC...I'll believe it when I see it. :wink:

Although, I could see Pittsburgh turning things around before KC.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

With your brother pitching for the Pirates I'd say you have better insight into that organization than I do. That being said, it's all well and good to keep your farm system well stocked with talent to build for the future. The problem is the Pirates will be restocking the farm system into perpetuity if they don't eventually decide to hold onto some of that talent instead of, you guessed it, trading away that talent to "replenish" the farm system.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
With your brother pitching for the Pirates I'd say you have better insight into that organization than I do. That being said, it's all well and good to keep your farm system well stocked with talent to build for the future. The problem is the Pirates will be restocking the farm system into perpetuity if they don't eventually decide to hold onto some of that talent instead of, you guessed it, trading away that talent to "replenish" the farm system.

This is how I feel about the Pirates as well. We'll see if they actually make a good faith effort to compete in the NL central next year or not.

It seems like the Royals are still a year or two away from even beginning to rebuild at this point. It is a shame too, nice ballpark to watch a game in.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

You mean other than a beautiful ballpark and a readily available supply of affordable tickets? As a Cubs fan living in KC, I'm pretty happy with the status of the Royals, I don't have to plan ahead to go to a game and I don't spend an arm and a leg when I get there. It has been a great way to see a lot of the other teams in the league.

And no, I don't think the Royals will ever compete for anything again in my lifetime.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think th GM said it best, it's not like they broke up the '27 Yankees. They traded role players for guys with higher ceilings and some of those guys (Sanchez, McClouth) were getting pushed out by younger, better players anyway.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
You mean other than a beautiful ballpark and a readily available supply of affordable tickets? As a Cubs fan living in KC, I'm pretty happy with the status of the Royals, I don't have to plan ahead to go to a game and I don't spend an arm and a leg when I get there. It has been a great way to see a lot of the other teams in the league.

And no, I don't think the Royals will ever compete for anything again in my lifetime.

I can go see an I-Cubs game if that's all I care about.

You'll have to excuse me, though. I am used to organizations that actually build and play to win...which as a bi-product also generates revenue.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I can go see an I-Cubs game if that's all I care about.

You'll have to excuse me, though. I am used to organizations that actually build and play to win...which as a bi-product also generates revenue.

I think you may have missed my point. I'm just saying as someone living in an MLB market where I could care less about the home team, having someone like the Royals is great. It is a great ballpark and about the cheapest way to see the pros as you are gonna get. I also could care less about the Sox or Yanks, but if that was my local team I'd have to pay bigtime prices and buy tickets in advance because of potential sellouts. The appeal of the Royals to me isn't the Royals, it is the easy access to see the other teams in the league, I could care less if the team ever builds to win or make money.

Yeah, the i-Cubs are nice, and I enjoyed them when I was in Des Moines, but it just isn't the same as seeing MLB. And I could care less if Omaha or New Orleans or Las Vegas are in town.

Help Support Us

Become a patron