Depth Chart for Nebraska Game

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Could be it. I thought he did an ok job, the few times I paid attention to pass protection.

(BTW - was the camera work Saturday night putrid, or what?)

But still. Nothing against A-Rob. But what did he do to deserve the nod ahead of either?

It could also be that Arnaud feels more comfortable with Scales blocking as opposed to Bass. Keeping him from getting happy feet is important for our passing game, and for Arnaud's health.

Yeah it wasn't great. It's basically fox's "e crew", so you can't really expect too much. I'm just glad I got a chance to watch it.

Who knows why A-Rob is ahead of them both. Maybe he's playing better in practice. Maybe the coaches see something on film they like more on gameday. One thing I'm fairly sure of is that they think he's the best player.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I like the comment about each of our backup QBs:

"Has not yet played a down of college football."

Whereas the comments for the other newcomers focus on what they did in high school, etc. Seems the athletic department is still a little PO'd at you know who.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I hope they keep Dedrick at LT Hulbert was getting beat all night. The series ISU got the FG KO was in at left takle and ISU was able to run the ball well. I also hope Banks starts to get some time at safety Hunley can hit but makes too many mistakes

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It could also be that Arnaud feels more comfortable with Scales blocking as opposed to Bass. Keeping him from getting happy feet is important for our passing game, and for Arnaud's health.

Yeah it wasn't great. It's basically fox's "e crew", so you can't really expect too much. I'm just glad I got a chance to watch it.

Who knows why A-Rob is ahead of them both. Maybe he's playing better in practice. Maybe the coaches see something on film they like more on gameday. One thing I'm fairly sure of is that they think he's the best player.

I can't wait untill the day where we don't NEED a RB to help in protection and we can get them out in routes.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I hope they keep Dedrick at LT Hulbert was getting bet all night. The series ISU got the FG KO was in at left takle and ISU was able to run the ball well. I also hope Banks starts to get some time at safety Hunley can hit but makes too many mistakes

Hunley gave up the long TD on 4th down in the back of the endzone. He and Jesse Smith were beat like a drum constantly by Kerry Meier during the KU game.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I hope they keep Dedrick at LT Hulbert was getting bet all night. The series ISU got the FG KO was in at left takle and ISU was able to run the ball well. I also hope Banks starts to get some time at safety Hunley can hit but makes too many mistakes

I honestly hope they can get Haughton, Hicks, Lamaak, Stephens, and KO on the field at the same time next year. I know that would involve more position changes but I want to see an offensive line with size that can move people. To be frank it's been a long time since ISU didn't get their ***** kicked in the trenches and the running game.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Yes we do, badly...

Question about safety since it is one position I really don't know much about. There were tons of times that Griffin got out onthe edge and our safeties crashed fast for run support then Griffin just lobbed it over their heads. Shouldn't they have been playing the pass untill Griffin was commited to the run?

I agree that we are really, really bad at safety but I think the LB's share some of the blame. James Smith (free safety) leads the team in tackles. That means the Linebackers are not doing their jobs and our safeties are having to make too many tackles on running plays and causes them to bite more on play-action passes. Safety is a big problem but where are the Will's? Also, when Bibbs is not in the game, the SAM disappears.

I'm guessing these areas are being addressed in recruiting.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I hope they keep Dedrick at LT Hulbert was getting beat all night. The series ISU got the FG KO was in at left takle and ISU was able to run the ball well. I also hope Banks starts to get some time at safety Hunley can hit but makes too many mistakes

Hulbert was a step too slow for sure. Looked like a south wind blowing past him.

Cyclones78227

Oct 3, 2008
San Antonio. Tx

What is this recruiting that you are speaking of??? I was under the assumption that we were going to have the same players forever, and that's why we will never get any better.

Do you mean to tell me that coaches can go out and find new players??? Even ones that might be better than the players there now??? Seriously, you mean we can get new and perhaps better players??? We could have a totally different group in a couple of years???

(in best Peter Griffin voice)

No freakin' way!!!

This post brought to you by our friends at the Sarcasm Institute.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Banks will play, Its just hard to justify starting a guy that is hesitant with his arm at the moment and cant pick it off, None the less he will play.

Bass and Arob or Bass and Scales in the backfield would satisfy me, But from what i know, we dont plan on doing anything like this until next year :wink:

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Banks will play, Its just hard to justify starting a guy that is hesitant with his arm at the moment and cant pick it off, None the less he will play.

Bass and Arob or Bass and Scales in the backfield would satisfy me, But from what i know, we dont plan on doing anything like this until next year :wink:
are you trying to say will we see some sets next year with say maybe Bo Williams and Schwartz both in? i love the sounds of that

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
James Smith (free safety) leads the team in tackles. That means the Linebackers are not doing their jobs and our safeties are having to make too many tackles on running plays and causes them to bite more on play-action passes.
Either that, or it could mean that Mike Bibbs has missed time due to injury. :wideeyed:

But Jesse Smith, in certain situations, is decidedly a liability.

Hulbert was a step too slow for sure. Looked like a south wind blowing past him.
Whoa. There's a shock. After he ran a 5.79 forty at a combine before his senior year? [/sarcasm]

Maybe there's a reason we need James Carpenter so badly.

I hope Chizik can do the same thing in recruiting safeties (and linebackers, and defensive end and...) that he did with cornerbacks last february.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
We started 2 freshman at corner last week also as both Johnson and Benton started. They just announced it wrong. And Banks played last week also.

We need to be better up the middle on both sides of the ball. Our DT's aren't very good. Our safeties are not very good and we have a below average Big 12 middle linebacker. On offense we have not be consistent on the line and our RB's rank as the worst in the Big 12

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Hulbert needs to do something..2 false starts in a row, and hardly blocked when we wasn't receiving any penalties.

Anyone hear anything about Bo practicing this year, or how he's doing?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Anyone hear anything about Bo practicing this year, or how he's doing?

Good question. Does anybody know? He certainly has the size and speed we've been craving out of a running back for a while.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
I agree that we are really, really bad at safety but I think the LB's share some of the blame. James Smith (free safety) leads the team in tackles. That means the Linebackers are not doing their jobs and our safeties are having to make too many tackles on running plays and causes them to bite more on play-action passes. Safety is a big problem but where are the Will's? Also, when Bibbs is not in the game, the SAM disappears.

Thats what I was going to say , I'm glad to see someone seeing what is going on as well. I just don't think that we have a answer for that problem this year.