Deonte Burton signs with the Timberwolves

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
They told him they want to resign him, but if he gets a big offer in RFA, I don't see them going crazy to match. $7-8 mil a year they bring him back, but with extensions for Wiggins and KAT coming up, no way they're giving him the kind of money Kent Bazemore got last year, which could happen if someone needs scoring.
Yeah, I think this FO has a good idea of what they are trying to do and the money they need available to sign Wigs and KAT, and won't throw money away if it isn't totally worth it

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
With the big guys they have on the roster, there should hopefully be no chance. Jordan Hill is gone, Payne gone, Aldrich didn't play a lick by the end of the season, and Bjelica is more of a stretch 4 and he's coming of foot surgery. Minnesota also will probably let Shabazz Muhammad and Brandon Rush go in FA, so Deonte should have a shot at a 2 way contract to come up for a game or two at a time to be instant offense off the bench if he plays well in the summer league.

I don't pay a lot of attention but I found it odd that Burton wasn't brought up more as an intriguing type of prospect. I'm not surprised he was drafted but I think when you look at what he is able to do offensively and maybe even more defensively when he's engaged, I think there should be some interest that garners at least a mention. I realize getting him engaged defensively is a huge cause for concern, but the guy has so many tools that a lot of guys don't have. They talk about ceilings and all of that and there's a lot left to unlock with the guy. I found it interesting that a no BS coach like Thibs ends being the guy who takes him. If he can get him to buy into defense, I could see Burton having a really successful career. When you look at some of our big games and big runs, he was huge defensively. What he did to Swanigan in the second half of that Purdue game was borderline criminal. Huge games against Gonzaga and Kansas.

Also, it looks like I'll be attending some more T-Wolves games in the coming years. They might have something brewing up there.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I don't pay a lot of attention but I found it odd that Burton wasn't brought up more as an intriguing type of prospect. I'm not surprised he was drafted but I think when you look at what he is able to do offensively and maybe even more defensively when he's engaged, I think there should be some interest that garners at least a mention. I realize getting him engaged defensively is a huge cause for concern, but the guy has so many tools that a lot of guys don't have. They talk about ceilings and all of that and there's a lot left to unlock with the guy. I found it interesting that a no BS coach like Thibs ends being the guy who takes him. If he can get him to buy into defense, I could see Burton having a really successful career. When you look at some of our big games and big runs, he was huge defensively. What he did to Swanigan in the second half of that Purdue game was borderline criminal. Huge games against Gonzaga and Kansas.

Also, it looks like I'll be attending some more T-Wolves games in the coming years. They might have something brewing up there.
We don't want you if you are just now realizing something is brewing up here :rolleyes::p

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Congrats Deonte! Go get em pal! (p.s., I met you down in Springfld, MO about a month ago, Meyer Ctr. Best wishes!)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I figured Deonte would be the ultimate sort of "draft for potential" guy. Incredible athlete but without ideal size, good shooter, and still very raw as a player. He lacks an obvious position on either end of the floor, but he's 250 and a freak, which you cannot teach.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
I figured Deonte would be the ultimate sort of "draft for potential" guy. Incredible athlete but without ideal size, good shooter, and still very raw as a player. He lacks an obvious position on either end of the floor, but he's 250 and a freak, which you cannot teach.
He weighed in at 266.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I just can't take seriously that they changed the name of the d-league, and went with g-league. I wish they would just call it the ABA so it would at least sound like a real league.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
I just can't take seriously that they changed the name of the d-league, and went with g-league. I wish they would just call it the ABA so it would at least sound like a real league.
G League stand for Girls League?

Help Support Us

Become a patron