Denae Fritz transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One daughter played small at ISU, other was 3 sport college athlete and all American softball play. Sports have been how we spent our time together. This is why I argue that women's basketball is fun to watch. At least for me.
My wife and I were both coaches for the three of our kids from youth through HS, oldest was offered a scholly to play smaller school FB but turned it down, daughter was recruited for D3/NAIA softball, youngest in HS is getting recruiting stuff as a freshman so we are highly involved in sports, but it is still WAY down on the list of things that we like and enjoy about each of us. We have had season tickets for FB for a long long time. My daughter is currently a student at ISU and she may have attended 1-2 WBB games so far.

Reactions: CyBobby

Aduhbolu15

Feb 28, 2021
Fritz said in an article for the register, she wanted to play in a faster paced offense. Without looking it up doesn’t Iowa state have one of those? Top 25? Sounds like we could have a Justin Hamilton situation on our hands!

Cyclonscin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Fritz said in an article for the register, she wanted to play in a faster paced offense. Without looking it up doesn’t Iowa state have one of those? Top 25? Sounds like we could have a Justin Hamilton situation on our hands!
I tend to think she was referring specifically to our half court sets, which were far from fluid or fast paced.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Quick. Name a women's college basketball half court offense that is fluid and fast paced...
Go re-watch ISU's loss to Creighton in the NCAAs last season and you have your answer (and it's not ISU).

I don't necessary agree with Fritz's explanation provided to the Rag as to her reason for leaving. Now if she would have said the offense needs more motion and less dribbling to better engage all players in the half court offense, I would have agreed with her 100% and those changes made during the prior two seasons may have kept both Fritz and Donarski at ISU.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Go re-watch ISU's loss to Creighton in the NCAAs last season and you have your answer (and it's not ISU).

I don't necessary agree with Fritz's explanation provided to the Rag as to her reason for leaving. Now if she would have said the offense needs more motion and less dribbling to better engage all players in the half court offense, I would have agreed with her 100% and those changes made during the prior two seasons may have kept both Fritz and Donarski at ISU.

40 minutes of basketball for a team that scored 76 points (while making 44% of their 3's) is going to answer that question?

Can't we stop this nonsense about the offense and simply admit that Fritz does not want to play for this coaching staff which is the reason why she is in the portal?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
40 minutes of basketball for a team that scored 76 points (while making 44% of their 3's) is going to answer that question?

Can't we stop this nonsense about the offense and simply admit that Fritz does not want to play for this coaching staff which is the reason why she is in the portal?
I'll wait til we hear where she ends up. At this point there can be a lot of reasons.

Offense (her reason)
Bill (your reason)
Closer to Home.
NIL.
DIdn't Like ISU.
Making road trips to Houston.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
I'll wait til we hear where she ends up. At this point there can be a lot of reasons.

Offense (her reason)
Bill (your reason)
Closer to Home.
NIL.
DIdn't Like ISU.
Making road trips to Houston.
Etc. Etc. Etc.
Not possible it is 100% one of those reasons. Obviously a small minority is going to enjoy 4 years of perfectionism. Maybe she wants someone who enjoys coaching offense as much as CBF enjoys defense. She seems a quick learner, maybe she is ready for new lessons, not the same ones over and over.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

Like I posted, actually go watch the Creighton NCAA wins vs both ISU and Iowa last season instead of solely providing stats.

Now I do agree that issues with the coaching staff are the primary reasons for both Fritz and Donarski leaving but part of that dissatisfaction very likely stems with Bill's half court offense and its lack of motion, PG over dribbling and the resulting lack of engagement it provided to both players, especially this last season.

CourtCyd

Mar 24, 2023
Doesn’t that change with Ashley gone?
No. Go back year over year. There is always a primary scorer with everyone else complimentary. Bridget Carlton, Hailee Christofferson, Kelsey Boltd, Alison Lacey,etc. It's been a little better the past few years with people trying to get open but historically as the clock runs down it is the #1 scoring option left to chuck up a shot as the shot clock expires while everyone else watches. If we don't score in transition we love to take the shot clock under 10 seconds.

Reactions: Cyclonscin