Dear "Save Cy" People

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I have no problem with taking it off the helmets and mid-court/field, but still don't understand why the current logo can't be put on the 35's or in the endzones.

Tweedt4Cy

Apr 14, 2007
Ankeny
Personally i love the new unis and helmets. It is time to start over and we rnt getting rid of cy hes still our mascot. Plus u look at every other ncaa teams helmets, there designs r so simple and thats what its all about...simple and recongnizable. Great decision.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I have no problem with taking it off the helmets and mid-court/field, but still don't understand why the current logo can't be put on the 35's or in the endzones.

Because you don't see Bucky or Herky on the 35's or endzones. That's what Cy is now - a merchandising logo only.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You see Pistol Pete though.

I guess I should have implied that I'm not opposed to whirlybird Cy being on the 35's, endzones, or even between the arc and paint on the bball court. I'd actually like to see it - I'm just not expecting it to happen.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Just like the helmet changes Saban made at Alabama, Callahan made at Nebraska, Ferentz made at Iowa, Hawkins made at Colorado, and Stoops made at Oklahoma when they started new eras...

I understand your point, but the reasoning isn't there. I'm starting to not dislike the new logo and I hope it helps clears up the identity issue for recruiting.

Bad argument, all those teams have a classic design that is their recognizable symbol. ISU has about 10 different symbols it uses, it is time to pick a single one.

Sep 28, 2007
Norman, OK
I guess my point is rather simple. I don't care if we make the official logo a rubber chicken with a rocket in it's butt (see another popular thread and thanks, TT for the laugh), but whatever it is needs to have the commitment of not only the AD and FB coach, but it should be adopted by the university as a whole. I think the biggest fear coming from the "save Cy" group is the possibility of another change within the next couple decades. I don't mind seeing new uniforms and helmets - it's a natural progression. The primary mark change should be the only significant issue and I hope that the ISU president and administration is on board with keeping it around.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Look what happened to the Big Hat Cowboy at Nebraska. They essentially usurped him with Lil Red, a blow up doll that looks really weird. That team has been only average since then.

What will happen tous if we lose Cy? Get worse? He won the toughest mascot and he got shot down fr being good. Poor Cy. Replaced with a stupid I. That sounds very singular.

booyaa187

Aug 23, 2006
I remember reading an article about a year after the "Cy" logo was introduced talking about how much excitement it generated and the large increase in merchandise sales.

I am for keeping the "Cy" logo. IMO the amount of success we've had with it is irrelevant. With that being said, McCarney's era is arguably the best in history if you are judging my bowl appearances.

The "Cy" logo looks fresh to me. Our new uni's and logo look like they are straight out of the 70's, which is fine if you like that kind of thing.

With all that being said........I think this "savecy" effort will get nowhere and we'll just have to get used to the new logo/colors. Too much has gone into making the change to turn back.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I-STATE.

Where's that? Iowa? Illinois? Indiana? IDAHO?

Gee, I guess I-STATE won't be confused with OHIO anymore.

"Where the _ell did that Redbird go anyway?"

galles15

Jun 12, 2006
Ames, orginally from Remsen, IA
It's not so much of what the tradition was on the old CY, but what it was unreconizable to recruits. They didn't know if it was us Illinois State or Louisville. And it did suck when they tried to minimize our logo and put it on television for games.