Dear "Save Cy" People

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Get over it. We have had that stupid mascot on our helmets and we have sucked forever. It's time to move the whole place in a new direction. Cy will still be around shaking hands with the kids and representing. It's time to move on. Your life has come down to trying to save a decal on the side of a helmet. It's time to look at the new era like a fresh start. We have new coaches in almost ever sport (bill Fennely not included). So jump on our side for a while and do whatever your not used to doing. The old way did not work. The old logo did not work. The Ketchup and Mustard uni's did not work.

Basically this is our chance to start all over.

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
The only Cy that should EVER have been on the helmets is "Kicking Cy". That dude rocks! I've never understood the attraction of the "bird in a blender, twisty-butt" Cy.

Me likes the "I". Don't matter if it as "State" or "sIu" or has "ISU" down the "I".

Me STILL likes the "I".

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
They're entitled to their opinion. I can see where they are coming from.

I like what we've selected though.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Yeah the only "cy" I liked was the Marching forward with a growl on his face "cy". I think you refered to it as the kicking Cy.

trevn

Jerome Tang Surveillance Team
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
The big problem I have with the Cy on our helmet now is the amount of blue in it. I like that we're getting away from blue for good. Leaving our current logo on the helmet for next year would go against pretty much what everyone on this board and other boards agreed on...NO BLUE!

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Sorry, I just loved our logo and don't care what anyone else thinks. I think the I-state looks stupid and at least put ISU since we actually cheer that. Sooooooo many kids relate to "Cy." I thought the logo was amazing. Hopefully the new one will grow on me over time.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Sooooooo many kids relate to "Cy.

Cy will still be around. Just not on our helmets.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I originally posted the Save CY e-mail on this board when I got it in my e-mail. I do like the new logo, but I think that the marketing group at the university should re-vamp the cy or change it to the walking CY. I know CY is not going away, but we need to make sure he still has a presence.

I also love the baby CY that is on some of the kids clothes. You can't get any cuter than a baby CY. :yes:

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Did anyone else ever get caught up in the "amazingness" of our old swirly butt logo?? I often found myself veering off the road while dreaming of how someone could have ever invented such a perfect capsule of our Cyclone spirit. :spinny:

DBQ Clone

Oct 4, 2007
Dubuque, IA
So far they have 3000 sigs on their petition. Probably due to KCRG's story about them. I wonder how many people voted for the new logo?

I'm very happy with the new I-State logo. Sharp and easily identifiable from a distance. The current logo jumbles together from the nosebleeds at JT.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
The cy in the tornado look was my all time favorite. I don't think we should get rid of it just because we didn't have great 'tradition' with it. But I'm still ok with wanting to change it. Give me some 10 wins seasons and I will care less what is on the helmets.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Its time for the "save cy" people to go back to the future with our new helmet design... You canNOT have a new start to a new chizik era with an old helmet design... The future is now er 2008 with a new helmet design and a new uniform design...

ITS TIME FOR BACK TO THE FUTURE FOR IOWA STATE FOOTBALL!!!!!:cool:

Sep 28, 2007
Norman, OK
Just like the helmet changes Saban made at Alabama, Callahan made at Nebraska, Ferentz made at Iowa, Hawkins made at Colorado, and Stoops made at Oklahoma when they started new eras...

I understand your point, but the reasoning isn't there. I'm starting to not dislike the new logo and I hope it helps clears up the identity issue for recruiting.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Just like the helmet changes Saban made at Alabama, Callahan made at Nebraska, Ferentz made at Iowa, Hawkins made at Colorado, and Stoops made at Oklahoma when they started new eras...

I understand your point, but the reasoning isn't there. I'm starting to not dislike the new logo and I hope it helps clears up the identity issue for recruiting.

Hayden Fry made one when he got to Iowa, and took them out of the dumpster. Bill McCartney changed Colorado's helmet, and took them to a co-national championship. Alabama, Nebraska and Oklahoma all have a considerable amount more football heritage than we do, so that's not really a fair comparison.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
The big problem I have with the Cy on our helmet now is the amount of blue in it. I like that we're getting away from blue for good. Leaving our current logo on the helmet for next year would go against pretty much what everyone on this board and other boards agreed on...NO BLUE!

EXACTLY!

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I love the swirling Cy. I also love the I-State thing. I think the I-State thing is the way to go for the main symbol and here is why. People can doodle it. Sure, some kids may be connected with the swirling Cy, but you can't draw it. You can doodle the tigerhawk logo. I remember in school some times where people would doodle the tigerhawk symbol. It was almost a competition to see who could do it the best. You couldn't do that with Iowa State. Now you can.