Dealing with the Losses

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by BryceC, Feb 11, 2019.

1. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ratings:
    +4,096 / 270 / -0
    First, let me say that I am not comparing any fan's disappointments with the team. Obviously, the team and the coaches experience losses in a much more tangible way.

However, we've had two really tough losses at home this year. The KSU was one of the most visceral, anger inducing losses I've experienced as a fan in a long time. My wife went on a 10 minute rant when we got back to the car about it. Fans around me were absolutely pissed. TCU on Saturday was just such a gut punch. Totally dead crowd (and I don't blame us one bit), totally dead effort, in a game with basically a championship on the line. I brought a friend of mine who had never been to a college basketball game ever. That was his first experience. Imagine sucking on that one.

Sometimes as fans we let losses stick in our craw. I haven't been online since the game because I've just not wanted to think about it.

I'm asking that we don't let this get us down as fans. I popped on and looked at the NET rankings again this morning. We're still #16. Based on the first committee release of the rankings, we can expect the NET rankings to track very well with the seeds. This has been my expectation all year. We are still in a great position to get a top 4 seed and maybe be in DSM.

ISU has had a top 4 seed only 5 times in their history.

This is with Wigginton being hurt for a good part of the noncon. This is with Lard being both injured and suspended. This is with incorporating a lot of freshman and new players, at various points in the season, without really being able to let lineups gel.

I still think this team is a great team. I think this has been a remarkable turnaround (do we honestly forget about how bad last year was?) and I'm extremely proud of Prohm and the guys on the team. We are still in the midst of what I think is the greatest sustained era of great play in Cyclone basketball history.

Those home losses sucked balls. But let's not lose sight of what has been a tremendous season by any measure. Thanks to all of the coaches and players who have made it happen, and let's still finish the year strong!

(TLDR, I know.)

• Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. JM4CY

JM4CY Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Working with people
    America
    Ratings:
    +4,094 / 83 / -2
    There was always way too much season left for atleast one more wtf losses. Just hoped it would of been on the road.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Clonefan32

Clonefan32 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Ratings:
    +6,036 / 217 / -0
    I wind up the same place almost every basketball season. You live and die by each game's results, which is fine and normal. But at the end of the day, basketball might be the most "random" of the major sports. Some days you have it, some days you don't. Some days bounces go your ways, other times they go straight to the other team. Some days you can't get an open shot to fall while your opponent can't miss. It happens.

The beauty of college basketball is it's all about how you play in March and how you match up with the teams in your bracket. Just look at Lunardi's bracket. Let's say the loss causes us to flip with Kansas State. We were a 5 seed who would have had to play Hofstra/ Villanova/Duke. K State was a 6 seed having to play Alabama, Houston, Michigan State. So by dropping seeds I'm not sure you've done that much to hurt your overall chances. It's just all very random .

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  4. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Just a Man in the Middle
    SuperFanatic

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +21,801 / 547 / -10

That's pretty much my view.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CyTwins

CyTwins Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +29,985 / 2,345 / -1
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Ratings:
    +6,154 / 645 / -3
    On to Kansas State

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CyHans

CyHans Active Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Ratings:
    +273 / 33 / -0
    With how disappointing this loss was we do have to look at the season as a whole and not just one game. But, for us to go deep into the tournament we're going to have to put together several games of high intensity play. With the amount of talent we have, we've got to have two or three guys step up when others are having a down game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Sales and marketing
    A pineapple under the sea
    Ratings:
    +30,972 / 1,275 / -42
    Sometimes, I think people need perspective. From losing my mom 3 years ago, to putting my favorite (and young, 4 year old) dog down due to kidney failure in September, the outcome of a basketball game just pales in comparison.

• Winner x 13
    • Agree x 6
    • Friendly x 5
    • Like x 4
    • Useful x 1
  9. clone136

clone136 Active Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Male
    Politics
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -0
    I was pretty upset. Went for a run, then took my daughters to the Womens game that night, watching them watch the women dominate was more than enough to make up for it.

• Like Like x 6
  10. madguy30

madguy30 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +8,927 / 289 / -1
    Yeah grand scheme of all things in life it's all pretty much meaningless (fan's perspective).

That said, ISU will need to get it's mojo back.

Realistically the wins will be tough to come by the rest of the way. The rest of the away games may be losses, two home games with Baylor and Tech probably a pick 'em even with ISU playing well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,760 / 52 / -0
    The loss on its on own isn't a horrible one - a projected 8/9 seed beat us. But to me its 1) HOW we lost and 2) it was in Hilton.

We looked like knew we were playing at home against a mid-level team and we should be able to go through the motions and win. And it seems like we forgot how to play defense.

Very different than the K-State loss where we blew a 5 pt lead with a minute left. We could point to single events that lost us that game - missed 1 and 1s, not stopping a drive for a layup, etc. There wasn't that for TCU - we just got worked.

But losing 2 games at home to teams we are better than stings. No question.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8,383 / 343 / -2
    A weeks rest will be just the ticket.

That's what I'm going with.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8,383 / 343 / -2

Stop it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. surly

surly Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    writing, trolling
    reservation lake, mn
    Ratings:
    +2,092 / 306 / -8
    TCU has a lot of dudes. I wouldn't discount them nor be surprised if they beat Ku in Fort Worth tonight. Not sure what the spread was for your TCU game, but it couldn't have been all that much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,760 / 52 / -0
    Stop what? Talking about how those two losses stings? That's the entire point of the thread.

The season isn't over. We will regroup. We will go to the NCAA tournament. Things are fine. But those two losses at home still suck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Halincandenza

Halincandenza Active Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +704 / 90 / -6
    KSU loss was different. That was just a team that didn't close against another good team. This loss is just bad. Just a horrible defensive effort. That is likely from guys coming out thinking they could sleep walk to a win instead of having to show up and prove it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Sales and marketing
    A pineapple under the sea
    Ratings:
    +30,972 / 1,275 / -42
    I'm going to guess 4-3 to finish (5-2 if we find a way to take down K State).

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. harimad

harimad Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Female
    IT Systems Architect
    Illinois
    Ratings:
    +7,060 / 238 / -0
    I think he wants you not to say "We're better than the team to which we lost."

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Ratings:
    +9,880 / 756 / -5
    I was as pissed as I have been for years after Kansas State. I was livid at the players. I was less pissed after TCU because it seemed like a clunker of a game and sometimes that happens.

But no matter what, I have to remind myself that the players and coaches try hard and care more than I do. And I remind myself that all teams go through this (see Michigan state last week). And it’s a hell of s lot better than last week.

After all I have bad days at work where it seems like nothing goes right. They do too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. chuckd4735

chuckd4735 Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Male
    DSM IA
    Ratings:
    +6,688 / 325 / -0
    I dont believe for one second you didn't know the spread was 10, and this is yet again another Surly dig.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2