Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Who watched last night? I thought it was a great first episode for the season. As much as I've liked the show, I got a little bored last season but this one has me sucked right back in. Jonathan calling Keith on the carpet for talking to his crew was cool, although I thought the "why don't you go and try to kill your brother again" comment was kind of a low blow.

The "Jake swap" will make things interesting on the NW and CM. Of course now knowing that this was Capt. Phil's last red crab season, I wish Jake Harris could have spent the whole season on the CM. Deadliest Catch is the only kind of "reality" tv I can stomach.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Who watched last night? I thought it was a great first episode for the season. As much as I've liked the show, I got a little bored last season but this one has me sucked right back in. Jonathan calling Keith on the carpet for talking to his crew was cool, although I thought the "why don't you go and try to kill your brother again" comment was kind of a low blow.

The "Jake swap" will make things interesting on the NW and CM. Of course now knowing that this was Capt. Phil's last red crab season, I wish Jake Harris could have spent the whole season on the CM. Deadliest Catch is the only kind of "reality" tv I can stomach.
If I was Jake from the Northwestern, I'd be ******. That kid has busted his *** for them and done everything he could. I think Edgar was not amused with the move.
Hilstrand saying that about the brother was chicken **** and pushing a guy who wasn't making any move toward you like that was chicken **** too. My opinion of that guy changed quickly.
It's a business world out there. If that guy could have legitimately made twice what he was on the Time Bandit at the Wizard, he should go. I think Hilstrand was just mad that he was exposed for under paying his men.
I think his anger really comes from getting a bad haircut.
Also, I love any show that is this type of "reality" TV. It's not a gameshow, it's not forced reality - it's the real deal with cameras just there to catch it.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm excited for this season. Should be a good one with lots of interesting things taking place. I, too, feel kind of bad for Jake from the CM that he didn't get to fish with his dad one last season before he passes away, but if you think of it in another way it's was a good move by Phil, because he just wanted his son to succeed and gain more/different experience.
This is one of my favorite "reality" shows, along with AxMen on the History Channel.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I'm excited for this season. Should be a good one with lots of interesting things taking place. I, too, feel kind of bad for Jake from the CM that he didn't get to fish with his dad one last season before he passes away, but if you think of it in another way it's was a good move by Phil, because he just wanted his son to succeed and gain more/different experience.
This is one of my favorite "reality" shows, along with AxMen on the History Channel.
AxMen is bad ***. Love Pawn Shop, American Pickers and First 48.
Did anyone watch the construction intervention show after Deadliest?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
If I was Jake from the Northwestern, I'd be ******. That kid has busted his *** for them and done everything he could. I think Edgar was not amused with the move.
Hilstrand saying that about the brother was chicken **** and pushing a guy who wasn't making any move toward you like that was chicken **** too. My opinion of that guy changed quickly.
It's a business world out there. If that guy could have legitimately made twice what he was on the Time Bandit at the Wizard, he should go. I think Hilstrand was just mad that he was exposed for under paying his men.
Also, I love any show that is this type of "reality" TV. It's not a gameshow, it's not forced reality - it's the real deal with cameras just there to catch it.

I've never liked Keith so I've got some bias, but I thought he needed to be brought down a peg. I think the reason Jonathan was so ****** was that Keith said something to Scotty Hilstrand about jumping ships as well. Talking to random crew members would be one thing. Talking to family would be entirely another. I've always assumed the guys made less on the Time Bandit because they had a smaller quota, but I could be wrong on that. IIRC, it's a lot smaller boat.

I think the change will be good for Jake Anderson. He works hard, but has some growing up to do. Him asking about running the wheelhouse probably was over the top. Also, him wishing Edgar dead last season really seemed to **** Sig off, even if it was in the heat of the moment. If Jake handles it the right way, he'll be better for it. I think the Hansen's like him and that's the reason they did it. If they didn't like him, he would have been run off during one of his tantrums last year.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I've never liked Keith so I've got some bias, but I thought he needed to be brought down a peg. I think the reason Jonathan was so ****** was that Keith said something to Scotty Hilstrand about jumping ships as well. Talking to random crew members would be one thing. Talking to family would be entirely another. I've always assumed the guys made less on the Time Bandit because they had a smaller quota, but I could be wrong on that. IIRC, it's a lot smaller boat.

I think the change will be good for Jake Anderson. He works hard, but has some growing up to do. Him asking about running the wheelhouse probably was over the top. Also, him wishing Edgar dead last season really seemed to **** Sig off, even if it was in the heat of the moment. If Jake handles it the right way, he'll be better for it. I think the Hansen's like him and that's the reason they did it. If they didn't like him, he would have been run off during one of his tantrums last year.
What's the over/under on the number of times we see Norm Hansen on camera this year?
Last year I think it was two.
He's like Sloth, they hide him in the basement.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Agree with most all of this.

Except slightly on the last part. I LOVE this show. Religious follower since the beginning. But I think it's quickly becoming apparent that perhaps the producers are starting to "direct" a bit. Meeting in that wreck was contrived. Back when they just met at the bar, placed the bets, did some toasts... that was real. Bet none of those guys saw that ship before that night.

And most of the "conflicts" seem less than genuine. Particularly on the Time Bandit. Of course, every one of those guys ham it up for the camera every chance they get ... so not really surprising.

This is what happened to American Chopper as well. After a few seasons, it got away from the bikes, the creativity, the work - and just spent 45 minutes of every hour with Jr and Sr screaming at each other. It gets old fast. Kinda thought the same thing last night.

And I wonder if there's ever been a "crew-member swap" in the history of the fleet? Seemed contrived for TV as well.

It's going to be interesting to see how they handle Phil and the Cornelia Marie what that goes down. He seemed to be front and center in the opening roller.

Last edited:

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Agree with most all of this.

Except slightly on the last part. I LOVE this show. Religious follower since the beginning. But I think it's quickly becoming apparent that perhaps the producers are starting to "direct" a bit. Meeting in that wreck was contrived. Back when they just met at the bar, placed the bets, did some toasts... that was real. Bet none of those guys saw that ship before that night.

This is what happened to American Chopper as well. After a few season, it got away from the bikes, the creativity, the work - and just spent 45 minutes of every hour with Jr and Sr screaming at each other. It gets old fast. Kinda thought the same thing last night.

And I wonder if there's ever been a "crew-member swap" in the history of the fleet? Seemed contrived for TV as well.
I don't mind the meetings, etc. outside of the boat. It's the actual work and what goes on out on the water that I enjoy. Can't stage that.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

The brother comment was crapola. But Keith was getting in his face. I think that the Time Bandit is a smaller boat and that = less money. I don't think it has anything to do with underpaying. Ever notice how the Wizard always has "greenhorns?" If Keith makes more money and he has experienced guys standing at the dock waiting to work for him then why is he constantly hiring greenhorns? Just doesn't add up and my conclusion is Keith is an idiot that no one wants to work for even if it means more money. None of the other boats have as much turnover as Keith.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't mind the meetings, etc. outside of the boat. It's the actual work and what goes on out on the water that I enjoy. Can't stage that.

My thoughts too. Just seems that the time share of one is going up, the other going down ... not in a good way. Guess you have to find ways to keep it fresh. Once they get to the fisihing all will be well.

Anyone else think that rescue was a bit goofy? I mean the interviews with the crew? Not sure how to describe it. Just seemed like they were saying "I have no idea what happened" and nodding in agreement, with a real "we really f'd that up" kind of expression.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
What's the over/under on the number of times we see Norm Hansen on camera this year?
Last year I think it was two.
He's like Sloth, they hide him in the basement.

:biglaugh: So true. I think I've seen all the cameramen more that I've seen Norm. You forget how many are on the NW crew simply because Norm is a non entity. He must have made them sign some kind of agreement to edit him out of every scene. You'd think he be on camera by accident at least once in awhile.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
The brother comment was crapola. But Keith was getting in his face. I think that the Time Bandit is a smaller boat and that = less money. I don't think it has anything to do with underpaying. Ever notice how the Wizard always has "greenhorns?" If Keith makes more money and he has experienced guys standing at the dock waiting to work for him then why is he constantly hiring greenhorns? Just doesn't add up and my conclusion is Keith is an idiot that no one wants to work for even if it means more money. None of the other boats have as much turnover as Keith.
My thoughts exactly. Only thing I can think of is that he brings them on because he doesn't have to pay them as much. Or he's full of crap.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

I get the feeling the Hillstrands (all 4 or 5 of them) are keeping the lion share of the money. Wonder how much Jonathan pockets during Opie season when he's just riding along?

Notice their expressions when the engineer was telling them how happy he was and "that he doesn't need to make a 100K a year, he's happy".

Sort of a "holy ****, he'll pay them 100K?"

Agree on Keith. Really don't care for him either. Favorites are probably the NW and CM, edge going to NW. And the TB and Wizard bring up the rear, TB for the whole crew, and the Wizard solely because of Keith. Liked the Maverick when they were around.

That scene with the snapped line on the new boat was pretty intense.

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

My thoughts exactly. Keith was moving toward Jonathan. He's lucky he didn't get punched. I also noticed that nobody besides Phil was stepping in. I think they wanted to see Keith get his *** kicked.

Also agree on the deckhands. No way is Keith shelling through 2 greenhorns every season if he has experienced guys on the dock begging him to come on board. That ******* stunt he pulled last year with the tarp probably means he has to pay double to get anybody worth a crap to set foot on the Wizard.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
:biglaugh: So true. I think I've seen all the cameramen more that I've seen Norm. You forget how many are on the NW crew simply because Norm is a non entity. He must have made them sign some kind of agreement to edit him out of every scene. You'd think he be on camera by accident at least once in awhile.
Half the people who watch the show have no idea there is a third Hansen brother.
Official Crew Page of Norman Hansen of the F/V Northwestern ? F/V Northwestern

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
My favorite is the father/son team that is on Ax men. The father is so bad at everything he does he like a moving cluster ****. My wife and I just laugh our ***** off at him.
The other guy I like is the swamp man that basically has a little tag along Barnie fife Hillbilly type of guy.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
My favorite is the father/son team that is on Ax men. The father is so bad at everything he does he like a moving cluster ****. My wife and I just laugh our ***** off at him.
The other guy I like is the swamp man that basically has a little tag along Barnie fife Hillbilly type of guy.
Yes, Jimmy and James. :biglaugh:
This season he has been a little more relaxed, but the past couple of seasons, he spent the whole show cussing and yelling at his son for weird reasons. :biglaugh:

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Swamp loggers are a special breed.
I'm a big fan of Pond Bear myself.