Deace: Preseason news and notes

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Just what I was thinking. Is he now the Michigan correspondent to CF?

No. That's me.

The Big Ten isn't worse than the ACC. I think Deace underrates the PAC a little though. I don't know when it will happen but there is some firepower in the conference and eventually it will take off. As for the Big Ten, I think you are going to see it go back to the way it was 15 years ago. OSU and Michigan will be competitive nationally and the rest will shuffle around. I could really see OSU and Michigan developing a UF/Bama type situation based on recruiting and results to this point.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
South Carolina???? The sec is full of great defenses and bad offensive football... the fact that you list south carolina as one of the top dogs in the conference is telling...

You also may want to look at their schedules. I was shocked how poor their out of conference schedulw was for aome of thoae teams.

Some close games last year against bad competition...

The sec is the toughest if they all play each other and prove ut on the field... right now they aren't.

D UP- I'm not sure how list Scar as a contender is so “telling”. . .
Look at the pre-season rankings, they are listed @ number 6. I don’t think that’s so bad.
I didn’t even mention FL in my post but they round out the CBS top 10 along with Bama (2), aTm (5), Scar (6) Georgia (9), FL (10). That’s 5 teams in the top 10, 2 in the top 5.
LSU is 16[SUP]th[/SUP] so maybe I overvalue them but please tell me how any other conference could be listed at the top.
The PAC has two really good teams (OR, Stan) but a big falloff after that. B12 is deep but I doubt anyone at the top could play within 10 pts of Bama.

I know rankings are just on paper but I would credit those more than your gut.

I would say that the SEC has proven it on the field. 6-3 in bowl games last year and how many National Champs in a row??

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
D UP- I'm not sure how list Scar as a contender is so “tellingâ€￾. . .
Look at the pre-season rankings, they are listed @ number 6. I don’t think that’s so bad.
I didn’t even mention FL in my post but they round out the CBS top 10 along with Bama (2), aTm (5), Scar (6) Georgia (9), FL (10). That’s 5 teams in the top 10, 2 in the top 5.
LSU is 16[SUP]th[/SUP] so maybe I overvalue them but please tell me how any other conference could be listed at the top.
The PAC has two really good teams (OR, Stan) but a big falloff after that. B12 is deep but I doubt anyone at the top could play within 10 pts of Bama.

I would say that the SEC has proven it on the field. 6-3 in bowl games last year and how many National Champs in a row??

There's no doubt their top dogs are pretty much the best in college football, but I think there's something to be said about the media lovefest with the SEC and I think that translates into some of those second-tier teams like South Carolina riding the coat tails of the powerhouses when it comes to rankings.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Yeah.. you are probably right this year and last. I just am amazed how poor those offenses are excluding a&m. Great athletes but the execution on offense is not great for that conference in general.

And they (teams in conference) don't get docked for terrible out of conference games.

The sec is the best at the top but I just don't think the gap is as big as many think.

D UP- I'm not sure how list Scar as a contender is so “telling”. . .

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Is that a CF article with the only Cyclone mentioned spelled wrong?

Somewhere Paul Rhodes is shaking his head.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Yeah.. you are probably right this year and last. I just am amazed how poor those offenses are excluding a&m. Great athletes but the execution on offense is not great for that conference in general.

And they (teams in conference) don't get docked for terrible out of conference games.

The sec is the best at the top but I just don't think the gap is as big as many think.

I wont argue about the offenses, could be a product of tough defenses or it could be just as you say (and probably some combination of both).

I definately think that if the top teams in the B12 and the SEC played and starting from the top the SEC would probably win at least 4 of the first 5 games. The strenght of the B12 is its depth and teams 6-10 would probably pretty much even up the overall record.

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

The SEC averaged 6 more ppg in its 9 bowl games than did the Big 12 in its 9 games and the SEC did it against better comp.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Didn't Mac Brown make the point at media day that the top 7 in the SEC were 30-0 against the bottom seven?

There is no doubt their top dogs are superior to about anyone else but that stat is not going to happen in most leagues.

Thanks. That was the stat I had heard, but couldn't remember. No doubt the SEC has the best half of a conference, but it isn't so clear that they are the best whole conference.