DE rotation

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I'm just curious what everyone thinks the DE rotation will be. I think Morrissey will start on the right side with Kron being #2. I'm thinking Pierson starts on the left side with Meyers being #2. Where do Ayeni and Luna fit in? I have a feeling that one of the two will redshirt (probably Luna), while the other adds depth at both DE spots. Thoughts?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I see Morrissey and Pierson starting. Kron will be the number 2 at one of the DE spots. I'm not sure about everybody else, but I bet Ayeni moves inside if we are unable to get a JUCO defensive tackle.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
I see Pierson or Luna redshirting, Morrisey/Kron on one side, Meyers/Luna or Pierson on the other (remember Luna has a headstart by being on campus) and Ayeni moving to DT. Wouldn't shock me totally if he redshirts too, but probably need him to play undersized around 275 next year unless Aka, Trent and Garcia are coming on really strong? Why I think getting a run stopping Juco NG is critical to finish this class. Hoping for Moala or Guy. That keeps Coe and Irving at DT, and Cousin and Juco at NT.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I see Pierson or Luna redshirting, Morrisey/Kron on one side, Meyers/Luna or Pierson on the other (remember Luna has a headstart by being on campus) and Ayeni moving to DT. Wouldn't shock me totally if he redshirts too, but probably need him to play undersized around 275 next year unless Aka, Trent and Garcia are coming on really strong? Why I think getting a run stopping Juco NG is critical to finish this class. Hoping for Moala or Guy. That keeps Coe and Irving at DT, and Cousin and Juco at NT.

i agree that he will play this year even if he is around 275.....for me, we should not be emphasizing the overly large dlineman. I think we should be recruiting smaller more agile Dlineman for a couple of reasons. 1. Agility and quickness can be an impact player no different then power. If the Dlineman can get off the ball quicker then the Oline, they put them in bad positions for blocking. See Karl Klug for the best example that we've been around in a while. Hes 6'-3" and 278 pds and thats his NFL stats, he could have been smaller then that at Iowa. But, he gets off the ball and creates havoc from the snap. 2nd - In the big twelve with the pace, a smaller Dlineman may hold up a bit better against that pace!

If our Dline can play better this year which i think they will, i think our defense will be improved.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
i agree that he will play this year even if he is around 275.....for me, we should not be emphasizing the overly large dlineman. I think we should be recruiting smaller more agile Dlineman for a couple of reasons. 1. Agility and quickness can be an impact player no different then power. If the Dlineman can get off the ball quicker then the Oline, they put them in bad positions for blocking. See Karl Klug for the best example that we've been around in a while. Hes 6'-3" and 278 pds and thats his NFL stats, he could have been smaller then that at Iowa. But, he gets off the ball and creates havoc from the snap. 2nd - In the big twelve with the pace, a smaller Dlineman may hold up a bit better against that pace!

If our Dline can play better this year which i think they will, i think our defense will be improved.
Sorry to be a d@#k, I had hawk comparisons. I know we don't have a good example of the type of player that you are talking about but it drives me crazy when Iowa players of the past come into our threads......

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Sorry to be a d@#k, I had hawk comparisons. I know we don't have a good example of the type of player that you are talking about but it drives me crazy when Iowa players of the past come into our threads......

I hear ya, its alright to be a d*#% i get it...i hate hawk comparisons....but i dont know a comparable big 12 player....not glamorizing hok nation, trust i fight it enough....but, Klug and King were two of the most disruptive DT i've seen play for any team in a while. Both were undersized and 100% dominated the interior area for a team that was very successful.

Lets just say he plays for the titans now....who cares where he played in college.....

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Obviously they felt the need for an overhaul here, and it's much needed as ISU hasn't gotten a lot of contributions from their DEs. Willie Scott started 2 years as an undersized pass rushing DE (backup the prior two years) and he had 4 career sacks while getting destroyed vs the run. That's not good. Morrissey has 2 sacks to his name, although he came on strong at the end of this year.

I do think that one of the JUCOs could redshirt, but I could see it being Ayeni so that he can bulk up to take over DT duties once Coe and Irving graduate. My guess:

DE: Morrissey, Kron/Luna
DE: Pierson/Meyer, Lemke/Waggoner

I could see them moving Meeks down to DE. If Ayeni plays, I think that he'll be in the rotation at DE and then move inside on passing downs. If they can put Ayeni at DT and Coe or Irving at NT on 3rd and long, that's a pretty good pass rushing DL.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Obviously they felt the need for an overhaul here, and it's much needed as ISU hasn't gotten a lot of contributions from their DEs. Willie Scott started 2 years as an undersized pass rushing DE (backup the prior two years) and he had 4 career sacks while getting destroyed vs the run. That's not good. Morrissey has 2 sacks to his name, although he came on strong at the end of this year.

I do think that one of the JUCOs could redshirt, but I could see it being Ayeni so that he can bulk up to take over DT duties once Coe and Irving graduate. My guess:

I could see them moving Meeks down to DE. If Ayeni plays, I think that he'll be in the rotation at DE and then move inside on passing downs. If they can put Ayeni at DT and Coe or Irving at NT on 3rd and long, that's a pretty good pass rushing DL.[/QUOTE
Good analysis, valid points. Another thought would be to play Ayeni at DE and redshirt both Pierson and Luna for future. Unlikely, but?

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Watching film of Ayeni, he reminded me of a Robert Mathis type DE. He stayed low off the snap and was really quick off the edge. I think he could be a really good pass rusher for us. He didn't look at all like a interior DL to me.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Watching film of Ayeni, he reminded me of a Robert Mathis type DE. He stayed low off the snap and was really quick off the edge. I think he could be a really good pass rusher for us. He didn't look at all like a interior DL to me.

If Ayeni is anything - "ANYTHING" close to Mathis, he will not be redshirted i can guarantee that!!!!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If Ayeni is anything - "ANYTHING" close to Mathis, he will not be redshirted i can guarantee that!!!!

IMO, the Jucos were brought in to help immediately. They were not brought in to RS and develop. If that were the case, they would have likely signed a HS DE for development IMO.

Next year is make or break for this team. We need to make a bowl. And need a breakout year. The future is now. Go for it.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Would anybody object to Wendell Taise moving to Nose tackle? I don't know about you but having what Coach Rhoads refers to as a "large human being" on the interior D Line excites me...

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Would anybody object to Wendell Taise moving to Nose tackle? I don't know about you but having what Coach Rhoads refers to as a "large human being" on the interior D Line excites me...

Not sure how much NT that Wendell Taise has played. Just because he is large is no guarantee for success at NT. IMO, he stays on the OL. He has 2 years of eligibility left. Switching to NT would be a very big change. Just do not see that happening.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Not sure how much NT that Wendell Taise has played. Just because he is large is no guarantee for success at NT. IMO, he stays on the OL. He has 2 years of eligibility left. Switching to NT would be a very big change. Just do not see that happening.

Does Wendell even exist? He's not listed on the roster like the other early signees. Rivals refuses to give him any stars. If he falls in the woods does he make a sound?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

I could see them moving Meeks down to DE. If Ayeni plays, I think that he'll be in the rotation at DE and then move inside on passing downs. If they can put Ayeni at DT and Coe or Irving at NT on 3rd and long, that's a pretty good pass rushing DL.[/QUOTE
Good analysis, valid points. Another thought would be to play Ayeni at DE and redshirt both Pierson and Luna for future. Unlikely, but?

Morrissey was really good. He will start if not injured.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Morrisey and Pierson will start and Ayeni will move to DT IMO. Meyers and Kron will be 2nd on the depth chart, maybe Luna could sneak in there but I don't know how good he is at all.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Morrisey and Pierson will start and Ayeni will move to DT IMO. Meyers and Kron will be 2nd on the depth chart, maybe Luna could sneak in there but I don't know how good he is at all.

Luna is a lot like Morrissey, IMO. Similar weight and both have an impressive motor. If he doesn't redshirt, I see him playing as much if not more than Meyers.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Personally I'd love to put both Irving and Coe in the middle rotating in one of the Jucos and just get to the QB. It's common for teams to have a smaller faster DL.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron