DC is picking new Batman

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clone34

Mar 29, 2009
It looks like DC is in final talks with Robert Pattinson. I'm glad its a young guy but don't know about the choice. Hopefully not another origin story. Hopefully new Joker turns out great and he can be in new Batman.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The guy seems like a capable actor, if they choose him I’d be on board. People freaked out about Affleck and IMO he was the best Bruce Wayne ever (I would say Bale is the best Batman.) I also thought RDJ was going to be a disaster as Iron Man mainly due to his inability to stay out of jail just a few years prior and I was obviously hilariously wrong on that one.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
The guy seems like a capable actor, if they choose him I’d be on board. People freaked out about Affleck and IMO he was the best Bruce Wayne ever (I would say Bale is the best Batman.) I also thought RDJ was going to be a disaster as Iron Man mainly due to his inability to stay out of jail just a few years prior and I was obviously hilariously wrong on that one.
I really liked Ben Affleck in the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman. He got a bad rap because the script and direction in those movies were awful.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don’t know about the Robert Pattinson choice myself, but, to be fair, people didn’t necessarily understand the Michael Keaton choice either, being strictly a comedy guy before that, and he turned out to be arguably the greatest cinematic Batman, depending on your opinions of Christian Bale as the Dark Knight.

Reactions: Doc

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
You maybe need to watch some of his more recent movies. You might be surprised.

Agreed. I think people just so closely associate him with the Twilight movies since those were his big break, but he was excellent in The Lost City of Z (just a really good movie and cast all the way around) and Good Time.

Honestly I'm a little surprised he would even be interested in the Batman role since it's another franchise and a long term commitment, but I suppose money talks.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I've seen R-Pat in some movies where he goes a little dark, I seem to remember liking him in a post apocalyptic survival movie he was in. I can't remember the name but it was like if a drama was set in the same world as the first Mad Max.

The Ben Affleck backlash might be the most irrational nerd backlash. It was no big deal at all. He was perfectly fine. The movies he was in were not horrible or awesome because of him. It was pretty pathetic.

I've been working on developing toys for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie...that's the opposite side of the spectrum where the nerds have a good point in their mass freakout. Luckily we hadn't started manufacturing before they announced they are redesigning the character (missed it by maybe a single week) or we'd have probably ended up destroying a ridiculous amount of products.

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I've been working on developing toys for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie...that's the opposite side of the spectrum where the nerds have a good point in their mass freakout. Luckily we hadn't started manufacturing before they announced they are redesigning the character (missed it by maybe a single week) or we'd have probably ended up destroying a ridiculous amount of products.

I guess I just didn't know Sonic was still that relevant. Hell, I didn't know there was a movie being made until the big kerfuffle about his human teeth in the trailer a couple weeks ago. It feels like a Sonic the Hedgehog now is maybe 20-25 years too late.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I've seen R-Pat in some movies where he goes a little dark, I seem to remember liking him in a post apocalyptic survival movie he was in. I can't remember the name but it was like if a drama was set in the same world as the first Mad Max.

The Ben Affleck backlash might be the most irrational nerd backlash. It was no big deal at all. He was perfectly fine. The movies he was in were not horrible or awesome because of him. It was pretty pathetic.

For the particular role in Snyder's films, I loved Affleck as Batman and he is actually my favorite Batman. However, I was part of the group against Affleck as Batman, not because I didn't think he'd be good, but rather because I thought they should have gone younger. I still think going for an older Batman was one of the biggest mistakes the DCEU has made. When you are building a cinematic universe and Batman is your biggest brand, you don't start out with an old Batman. You need to look longer term. Let the character grow into and earn that old Batman role.

Reactions: Doc

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I guess I just didn't know Sonic was still that relevant. Hell, I didn't know there was a movie being made until the big kerfuffle about his human teeth in the trailer a couple weeks ago. It feels like a Sonic the Hedgehog now is maybe 20-25 years too late.

For an all ages movie you're right but for a kids movie a decent Sonic movie would have been very bankable. Even an unknown property or poorly reviewed movie can make loads of cash on the right weekend. There was mass freakout on Sonic and I'm not sure the people freaking out were even people that would have gone to a well made Sonic movie.

He is a popular character internationally, maybe more popular than Mario in Latin America because Nintendo ignored all of Latin America until relatively recently. Same thing in Europe/Australia where Sega was the much bigger brand throughout the entire 80s and most of the 90s because Nintendo neglected the contenent.

The fans do have a point that the Sonic model is just bad looking even beyond matching the character.

There's a far off Mario movie coming from the Illumination studio (Minions/Pets/Sing) whose box office track record is nearly as good as Pixar's, that thing will print money guaranteed. It also coincides with Uni theme parks massive Nintendo attractions, the idea is Harry Potter/Nintendo to compete with Disney's Star Wars park.

• Informative
Reactions: jbindm

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For the particular role in Snyder's films, I loved Affleck as Batman and he is actually my favorite Batman. However, I was part of the group against Affleck as Batman, not because I didn't think he'd be good, but rather because I thought they should have gone younger. I still think going for an older Batman was one of the biggest mistakes the DCEU has made. When you are building a cinematic universe and Batman is your biggest brand, you don't start out with an old Batman. You need to look longer term. Let the character grow into and earn that old Batman role.

I had a similar thought, he was a fine cast but it really contradicted what Marvel was succeeding with. RDJ was an older cast but maybe he's the exception. Look at the young casting of Thor and Cap Am and that was the clear way to go.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I had a similar thought, he was a fine cast but it really contradicted what Marvel was succeeding with. RDJ was an older cast but maybe he's the exception. Look at the young casting of Thor and Cap Am and that was the clear way to go.

Yeah, RDJ was on the older side, but he is also flying around in a suit. Batman is jumping around rooftops and climbing around ceilings. Everything is mostly based on his physicality in the role. Some may want to see it, but I don't exactly want to see a 55-60 year old Batman jumping around. Yes, I know many will point to the comics, but in this instance, those are comic books where perception can differ from reality much more.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
For an all ages movie you're right but for a kids movie a decent Sonic movie would have been very bankable. Even an unknown property or poorly reviewed movie can make loads of cash on the right weekend. There was mass freakout on Sonic and I'm not sure the people freaking out were even people that would have gone to a well made Sonic movie.

He is a popular character internationally, maybe more popular than Mario in Latin America because Nintendo ignored all of Latin America until relatively recently. Same thing in Europe/Australia where Sega was the much bigger brand throughout the entire 80s and most of the 90s because Nintendo neglected the contenent.

The fans do have a point that the Sonic model is just bad looking even beyond matching the character.

There's a far off Mario movie coming from the Illumination studio (Minions/Pets/Sing) whose box office track record is nearly as good as Pixar's, that thing will print money guaranteed. It also coincides with Uni theme parks massive Nintendo attractions, the idea is Harry Potter/Nintendo to compete with Disney's Star Wars park.

I have kids, so I'm sure I'll end up seeing the Sonic and Mario movies whether I want to or not. Who knows, maybe Jim Carrey will be good as Dr. Robotnik.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You weren't alone... :)

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone