Prospect

Credits: 8,145

Not too impressive if you ask me.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Kid has upside, but you're acting like he’s the next Jason Pierre-Paul.

What part of the word "potential" do you not understand? It's a simple concept, really, so let me lay it out for you.

-Irving set record for his position in March of his true freshman year.
-The numbers for someone of his size are outrageous.
-The numbers would have been 1st and 2nd at the NFL combine
-He has three and a half years of development left
-Now, I am not a mathmatician or strength trainer but I would probably lean toward saying he could improve those numbers and be a physical freak.
-That is not saying he will be an NFL star, that is saying what he could be, essentially defining the word "potential."

Make sense or do you need a diagram?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think we need to remember a couple things:

1. This kid was 17 pplaying against guys who are 21 or so that have had numerous years in intense strength and conditioning programs. From a technique and strength standpoint, he wasn't even close to what he could be. He shouldn't have been on the field and I think the coaches would agree. Unfortunately, there wasn't a choice. He still was serviceable.

2. That tells you his potential. If he can get an attitude to go with that, as well as put in the work on his speed and strength, he could be a monster and I'm not talking about first round monster. I am talking about top 10 pick monster. He is so far from his peak.

I agree with this, he was getting by on natural talent. A redshirt year would have been huge for a guy like him but like you said he had to play and I think in the long run last season will be big for him.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Impossible to tell how important a redshirt year would have been for him. If he comes out and plays well (a la Jake Knott and AJ Klein) next year, I would probably lean towards saying that the experience last year helped him like it did those two players.

If he still struggles or looks overmatched, then I would say in hindsight he would have benefited from a redshirt year more. But if the experience helps our team this year, then so be it.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
What part of the word "potential" do you not understand? It's a simple concept, really, so let me lay it out for you.

-Irving set record for his position in March of his true freshman year.
-The numbers for someone of his size are outrageous.
-The numbers would have been 1st and 2nd at the NFL combine
-He has three and a half years of development left
-Now, I am not a mathmatician or strength trainer but I would probably lean toward saying he could improve those numbers and be a physical freak.
-That is not saying he will be an NFL star, that is saying what he could be, essentially defining the word "potential."

Make sense or do you need a diagram?

I wouldn't mind seeing a diagram.

I like diagrams.

stock-photo-blank-generic-management-business-strategy-concept-diagram-illustration-48617737.jpg

stock-photo-448717-generic-life-cycle-diagram.jpg

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
It'd be one thing if Rhoads and Co. got him based solely on height/weight, but he is clearly a great athelete on top of that. He could be very good for us in the next couple of years. He was probably the guy I was highest on from last years class on the defensive side. Hopefully he pans out because all the signs are there.