Dating at Work

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I was on the outside looking in on a work couple. Manager & night shift supervisor. They ended up married, but not before the rest of us spent half of our time covering for their incomplete duties. If you do date in office, keep it OUT of the workplace and avoid creating friction with your co-workers. :)

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
True story - a little off topic. Several of us were visiting one of our plants and were meeting with Customer Service reps regarding an IT system we were building.

New woman happened to start that day. She got settled in and mid-morning the guy on the other side of her cubicle said, "Hey Mary, you know the difference between a blow job and a peanut butter sandwich?" She hesitantly said, "No." To which he replied, "You wanna go out to my car at lunch for a peanut butter sandwich?"

This was back in the 80's, so no one really batted an eye.

• Creative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
When I became single a while back, I took stock of the prospects at work.

It didn't take long for me to realize I didn't want to date anyone I worked with.

It's not a big secret how you can avoid sexual harassment charges though.

Step 1) Make sure this person has actually spoken to you before and you haven't been stalking them for years
Step 2) Make sure they are not your subordinate and that you don't have any power over their employment so they don't feel obligated to accept
Step 3) Ask like a normal human being. Don't be a freakin creep.
Step 4) If they say no, then drop it. Again, don't be a creep and "harass" them about it

If you don't go out of your way to make them uncomfortable, they shouldn't have any grounds to claim harassment. Yes it's a slippery slope, so you shouldn't ask out every female you work with. Get to know them well enough that you are friends and if they say no, both of you can be comfortable working together.

Reactions: Angie

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The wife and I met and got to know each other before we worked together, but we didn't start dating until several months after we worked together. I'm not sure if that counts.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Thinking about that new chick from logistics. If things go well...

JLQp6.gif

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
When I became single a while back, I took stock of the prospects at work.

It didn't take long for me to realize I didn't want to date anyone I worked with.

It's not a big secret how you can avoid sexual harassment charges though.

Step 1) Make sure this person has actually spoken to you before and you haven't been stalking them for years
Step 2) Make sure they are not your subordinate and that you don't have any power over their employment so they don't feel obligated to accept
Step 3) Ask like a normal human being. Don't be a freakin creep.
Step 4) If they say no, then drop it. Again, don't be a creep and "harass" them about it

If you don't go out of your way to make them uncomfortable, they shouldn't have any grounds to claim harassment. Yes it's a slippery slope, so you shouldn't ask out every female you work with. Get to know them well enough that you are friends and if they say no, both of you can be comfortable working together.

Step 5) Avoid unrequested reveals of the contents of your pants. Just keep your pants on. That's an important reminder for all.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Working with your significant other isn't bad. Working with an EX can be ...not fun.

My EX kept throwing it into my face about how she got a HUGE INTERSHIP with Kingland Systems (new at the time) and then I ended up getting a summer temp job and was above her and mocked her endlesssly.

• Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The wife and I met and got to know each other before we worked together, but we didn't start dating until several months after we worked together. I'm not sure if that counts.

Yep, we worked together directly for years, and still sort of do tangentially. I think the secret to it is just keeping your personal life at home.

The only thing that ever can be at all awkward is when people think that you're either agreeing with the other's position on something because you're married, or disagreeing with the other because you're fighting or about to get divorced or something. Not everyone understands that it's possible to just look at work topics through the eyes of a professional without bringing in the whole relationship thing.

Reactions: jcyclonee

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
This. There's a pretty wide gulf between asking someone if they'd like to go out for dinner or a drink and whipping out your piece and going to town on it in front of them.

Personally I would avoid dating a co-worker just because of the potential for it to get messy or awkward, but there's nothing wrong with asking someone out on a date as long you're respectful about it.

Or asking them out, and they say a clear “no”, and you keep asking.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp and Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron