Dating at Work

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I'm just curious, how many people in CF land have dated or married a co-worker and what younger people think about it these days. Statistics I've seen say somewhere around a 1/3 of people have dated a co-worker, and that nearly 1/3 of those people married a coworker according to CareerBuilder.

What got me thinking about this, is all the sexual harassment issues in the workplace coming up. How does a guy ask out a lady (or other guy if that is your taste) without putting his job in jeopardy these days? or vis a vis.

Admittedly, my wife was in my department, but I left the company after a couple months when we decided it was going to be more serious.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm just curious, how many people in CF land have dated or married a co-worker and what younger people think about it these days. Statistics I've seen say somewhere around a 1/3 of people have dated a co-worker, and that nearly 1/3 of those people married a coworker according to CareerBuilder.

What got me thinking about this, is all the sexual harassment issues in the workplace coming up. How does a guy ask out a lady (or other guy if that is your taste) without putting his job in jeopardy these days? or vis a vis.

Admittedly, my wife was in my department, but I left the company after a couple months when we decided it was going to be more serious.

Oh for goodness sake, you can ask someone out you work with. You just can’t be a sexual predator. The big problem that most of these guys have (Weinstein, rose, CK, Halperin) is that they aren’t asking these people out. They are (in the most generous sense) on a date that the woman is not aware of. They are jerking off in work environments around women, they are walking around naked during work events. If that’s something someone would ever think is OK, they are scum.

Treat people with respect. Don’t think you are God’s gift to women.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I know several people that met at work, dated, got married and still work at the same place. I suppose in a small business it is hard but the general rule here is they have to report it and can't work in the same group/on the same stuff.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Oh for goodness sake, you can ask someone out you work with. You just can’t be a sexual predator. The big problem that most of these guys have (Weinstein, rose, CK, Halperin) is that they aren’t asking these people out. They are (in the most generous sense) on a date that the woman is not aware of. They are jerking off in work environments around women, they are walking around naked during work events. If that’s something someone would ever think is OK, they are scum.

Treat people with respect. Don’t think you are God’s gift to women.

This. There's a pretty wide gulf between asking someone if they'd like to go out for dinner or a drink and whipping out your piece and going to town on it in front of them.

Personally I would avoid dating a co-worker just because of the potential for it to get messy or awkward, but there's nothing wrong with asking someone out on a date as long you're respectful about it.

Reactions: Angie

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
This. There's a pretty wide gulf between asking someone if they'd like to go out for dinner or a drink and whipping out your piece and going to town on it in front of them.

Personally I would avoid dating a co-worker just because of the potential for it to get messy or awkward, but there's nothing wrong with asking someone out on a date as long you're respectful about it.

I know this is a serious subject but made me laugh.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It seems impossible these days. Too likely to be fired for harassment. I was married before really getting into a work environment.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

I'm curious about this. How did people do it "back then"? Shoot, when I asked my wife out on our first date, I said, "Would you like to get sushi and maybe catch a movie after?" We went to dinner, went to a movie, then I went home and she went home too.

Reactions: Angie

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If you work in a big company/agency it's where you may meet people. You are around them 40 plus hours a week and can get to know them pretty well. Been retired for a year plus now and I do miss the social context of work, not the work so much.

A number of my co-workers met and got married at work. Where the hell else are a bunch of introverted civil engineers going to met compatible professional life partners? ;)

L

LincolnWay187

I've never done it and would not recommend. Of course people will talk about the instances where it worked out... have fun seeing your coworker every day after they say no lol

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
We both still work there, nothing ever came of it. I do still occasionally sniff her chair when I work late into the evening.
dis3.gif

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Met my girlfriend at work but we didn't start dating until after she left the company. I definitely would not date anyone I work closely with, but someone from a different department sure why not?

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka and Cyrocks

Help Support Us

Become a patron