Darryl from New Shannon on KXNO shows

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneRoss

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2010
I think it comes down to racin' communities.

Ever been to Boone?
I think the thickest accent/dialect I've ever heard was from the PA guy at a football game in Eddyville which is in Marion county and a racing community.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
When i first moved to Minnesota they made fun of my Iowa accent, which to me was straight up no accent. But to them, I sounded a little hickish or southern. And having heard the Iowans with a twang, i knew I didn't sound like that. I said I don't talk funny, you guys do. I said watch the news, they don't say uuuuut for out. Finally when the movie Fargo came out, I was vindicated, because they made fun of the Minnesota accent big time and my friends didn't think there was such a thing as a Minnesota accent until Fargo came out.

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
When I was in Ag business my freshman year at ISU. We had a guy from Johnston Iowa that has the thickish southern drawl I’ve heard in my life. He definitely played it up because at times he would switch out of it. Finally one day someone said hey name redacted, stop speaking like that you are from ******* Johnson Iowa.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Grew up in New Sharon, town of 1200. I have never met this Derek/Derrick from NS. I'd be curious as to how he sounds when he's sober, because sometimes when I used to drink with friends down in that area, they'd bring out the draw more when they've got alcohol in their system. Some from my school made it a point to talk like that, no clue why. But when traveling to other parts of the state I was/am told I have an accent.

Ive got a Minnesota accent that comes out every once in awhile after drinking a bunch. I have no idea why it’s still around other than that’s where I learned to talk. I’m like 25 years removed from that state though. My mom is the same way but she lived there quite a bit longer than I did.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
And? I think you need to do more research bud. Use your googling skills to find out. CycloneRoss wasn't wrong either.

Hint: It's in more than 1 county. It's more than 2 counties. It's Mahaska, Wapello, and Marion.

I stand corrected. I based it on the 4-H'ers that I've judged from Eddyville were part of Mahaska County 4-H.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I stand corrected. I based it on the 4-H'ers that I've judged from Eddyville were part of Mahaska County 4-H.

Right, and I'm sure the school or town has to stake claim in 1 of those as the "most common." I knew growing up in Mahaska county, that I generally attached Eddyville to Wapello more often than the other two.

But back to the main topic at hand, yeah I always love or find it interesting when going to the other parts of the country and learning about how regionally they call the same objects a different name. Shopping cart, sled, stocking hat, etc.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Go to the Warren County fair or Putney Auction in Indianola some time. The 40 and older rural community in warren Co has a lot of southern drawl to it.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
A true to life southern accent is when whatever is being spoken seems like it takes maximum effort to barely be pushed out over the bottom lip.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Are you talking about Derek from New Sharon? It's east of here, north of Oskaloosa. I mute the radio for a few minutes every time he comes on.

If its not a schtick, then why do Chris and Ross have him on. If it is a schtick, its not even remotely funny and he's bad at it.

It's a brutal few minutes of radio - I switch the station when he comes on.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Ah man, Eddyville. Was messing around near there once during high school, and somebody pissed in my friend’s car through a back window and then they pulled shotguns on us when we found them. Think they were out shining coons. Quintessential Eddyville.