Darryl from New Shannon on KXNO shows

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So what’s the deal with this guy? Why does he talk like he’s from the southern US? Do other people in Iowa have southern accents? CW and Stanz are from the southern most part of Iowa and they don’t talk like that. I think New Shannon isn’t even in southern Iowa, it’s eastern Iowa?

Reactions: cyfan21

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
for whatever reason there is a lot people in Iowa that talk like their from down south. Iowa is a weird state when it comes accents, there is more that a couple.

Reactions: khardbored

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I know a guy from Eldora that talks like that. Not even remotely close to southern Iowa. Not sure how we get that anywhere in Iowa tbh.

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
When he first started calling in I thought he was a Hawk troll pretending to be one of us. But he has continued it for so long I'm starting to think he is just that dumb and is a Cyclone fan.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Well it's Derek and he is stupid but comical. About as bad as stoner Ray who calls into the morning show.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
My dad has a southern accent. He grew up in southern Iowa. My grandpa had one. My college friends told me I had one. None of our accents are as thick as the New Sharon guy though. But yeah, there are a lot of accents like that in the southern half.

A lot of southern Iowa settlers in the 1850's came from Virginia and Tennessee. Might have something to do with it.

It's really no more strange than people in Cedar Rapids or Waterloo talking like Chicago Bear Super Fans. Or people from Mason City talking like the sheriff deputy in the movie Fargo.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Mixture of southern accent and being drunk for 30 years straight. Add in being far right, you get quite the intellectual conversations when he calls in.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
My dad has a southern accent. He grew up in southern Iowa. My grandpa had one. My college friends told me I had one. None of our accents are as thick as the New Sharon guy though. But yeah, there are a lot of accents like that in the southern half.

A lot of southern Iowa settlers in the 1850's came from Virginia and Tennessee. Might have something to do with it.

It's really no more strange than people in Cedar Rapids or Waterloo talking like Chicago Bear Super Fans. Or people from Mason City talking like the sheriff deputy in the movie Fargo.

But if it’s north of Oskaloosa is that southern Iowa? And isn’t that mostly Dutch country in that area?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Furthest north I've heard southern accents were in West Union north of Fayette probably 20 years ago.

I think they had two race tracks around town then and I'm not saying having a southern accent comes with two race tracks, but they did have two race tracks.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I have never experienced any Fargo accents in my 18 years growing up in Northern IA. Spending a year in IC never came across a Bears Superfan accent. Spent 1 year living in Marion County and came across hundreds of people that had accents and dialects like they were from Mississippi. These were mostly people commuting from the lower tier or two counties to work. Growing up in the sticks of NW IA there were the occasional wannabe southern boys, but the lower tier of IA counties are something else.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
But if it’s north of Oskaloosa is that southern Iowa? And isn’t that mostly Dutch country in that area?

Not everybody from the same area has to have the same accent. People move. Mahaska county was the largest coal producing county in Iowa at one point. Not a linguist but since Dutch communities can often be somewhat insular, I wouldn't be surprised if some of it is overcorrection to sound decidedly non-Dutch/northern European.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

A lot of Dutch around Pella and southern Jasper Co. New Sharon is is pretty southern Iowaish. I consider anything south of 80 "Southern" Iowa once you get out of Des Moines.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I have never experienced any Fargo accents in my 18 years growing up in Northern IA. Spending a year in IC never came across a Bears Superfan accent. Spent 1 year living in Marion County and came across hundreds of people that had accents and dialects like they were from Mississippi. These were mostly people commuting from the lower tier or two counties to work. Growing up in the sticks of NW IA there were the occasional wannabe southern boys, but the lower tier of IA counties are something else.

Maybe you were/are too used to it. Trust me, if you grow up in southern Iowa everybody in NE Iowa sounds like Fargo Lady.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
220px-PaulRhoads.jpg