Darryl from New Shannon on KXNO shows

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
More of a Sconnie twist (people say Wiscansin here), but very close.

I also know a couple people who talk like Derek up here. It’s more of a hick accent than Southern.

That said, I hate buddies at ISU from the Red Oak area and always thought they had a slight Southern accent.

I live in NE Wisconsin and nobody here says or has heard of the term Sconnie. They might say Wisco Badgers after some Wapatulii, but that is about it.

Marti4Cy

May 17, 2008
Des Moines
I was driving back to Des Moines from Oskaloosa on Thursday, and just as I was coming up to the New Sharon turn on Hwy 163, who comes on the radio? Derek. I almost took the turn, and started driving around New Sharon looking for a guy in his truck drinking Bud Lite, and smoking something. The guy is one of a kind, and his views are pretty out there.

Reactions: khardbored

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
For those of us that don't have family down south, why is it this way? How do you order a Sprite over a Coke, and so on?

Clearly Coke is out of Atlanta and I am guessing that is the reason why that is the word that is used. So if you go to the restaurant they will say we have water, tea and coke and then if you would like a sprite you would just order it. So just think of using the term coke instead of pop.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
For those of us that don't have family down south, why is it this way? How do you order a Sprite over a Coke, and so on?
Yeah how does all pop become Coke? Seems like the perfect setup for a “Who’s on First?”- type bit.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I remember watching the Mike & the Mad Dog 30 for 30, one interview with Francesa he stated (paraphrased): "Listeners are your audience. Callers are there to put on a performance."

It's no different on KXNO; the regular callers do so because they fancy themselves actors. Can be entertaining, but it's rarely genuine.

He’s started to call in to Murph and Andy pretty regularly now too. I think he probably feels emboldened by the response he gets from CW and Ross. M&A try to keep it short though, you can tell.

I don't think local radio shows are in a position to turn away callers; unless they repeatedly make threatening/harassing calls (the guy who got banned from TMR because he kept calling in to b!tch about Democrats comes to mind).

But when Chris and Ross eat it up, tweet about it, and make him a "star," it doesn't help. Murph and Andy are at least trying to treat it like the act it is.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I love your Mustang.
What year is it?
Its a 68 SS.
With a 396.

Tell me about your dog?
It's a half Siamese half Persian.

I’m not saying it’s sensible. Just, like duck-duck-grey duck, that’s the way it is.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
To those of you who don't like the show, I am sorry. Filling 15 hours a week, we aren't going to please everybody all of the time. At this point in my life, I am past trying to do that as I have learned it is simply not possible. We hope that there are some aspects of the show that you enjoy, even though others might not be for you.

Regarding the Murph and Andy comparison: We aren't trying to be them. We don't want to be them. It's why the station is programed the way that it is. They don't want two of the same show back-to-back. I love those guys like family but Ross and me are very different, which I view as a positive.

The good news is that we continue to set all-time ratings records for KXnO and our bosses are very pleased with how everything is going.

I'm an open book. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask and I"ll get back to them as soon as I can. Thanks.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I agree with everything you said. Just wish you personally would bash the hawkeyes more. As embarrassing as they are with all of their PR blunders, I feel they get let off the hook too much. Make Ross have to defend their sorry behavior. Now that would be entertainment.

We call out Iowa all of the time for this. And you clearly don't know Ross. He doesn't feel beholden to defending Iowa at all.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Can we get the title of the OP corrected finally? It's been open for almost 9 months and by now most people should be aware that there is no such place as "New Shannon", Iowa.

I actually think that based on the content of this original topic, butchering Derek's name and town are perfect.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
To those of you who don't like the show, I am sorry. Filling 15 hours a week, we aren't going to please everybody all of the time. At this point in my life, I am past trying to do that as I have learned it is simply not possible. We hope that there are some aspects of the show that you enjoy, even though others might not be for you.

Regarding the Murph and Andy comparison: We aren't trying to be them. We don't want to be them. It's why the station is programed the way that it is. They don't want two of the same show back-to-back. I love those guys like family but Ross and me are very different, which I view as a positive.

The good news is that we continue to set all-time ratings records for KXnO and our bosses are very pleased with how everything is going.

I'm an open book. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask and I"ll get back to them as soon as I can. Thanks.
Don't feel the need to apologize, some people just like to complain about everything and you certainly don't owe them anything. You and Ross have a great chemistry and I am glad we didn't lose you two on the public airways a little over a year ago. Cheers to many more episodes and thank you for all the content you put out (a majority of which these whiners get for free).

Reactions: neiacy and cayin

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
So what’s the deal with this guy? Why does he talk like he’s from the southern US? Do other people in Iowa have southern accents? CW and Stanz are from the southern most part of Iowa and they don’t talk like that. I think New Shannon isn’t even in southern Iowa, it’s eastern Iowa?

Is he drunk when he calls in?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron