Darryl from New Shannon on KXNO shows

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I lived in Dubuque for years (from Dyersville area originally) and the Youse drove my wife nuts. I never noticed it until she pointed it out. She is not from the area.

Here around Waterloo we refer to the corporate John Deere offices or manufacturing as “Deere’s” and I’ve never noticed it until it drove my wife (not from the area) nuts. We also never say someone got hired, it’s “they got on” somewhere.

“Jimmy got a new job, he got on at Deere’s in Waterloo”

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Here around Waterloo we refer to the corporate John Deere offices or manufacturing as “Deere’s” and I’ve never noticed it until it drove my wife (not from the area) nuts. We also never say someone got hired, it’s “they got on” somewhere.

One of my best friends from ISU 'got on' at Abbott Labs in the far N suburbs of Chicago. He said the old timers there called it "Abbott's."

The 'got on' thing is fairly common I think.

My buddy from the East instead of saying they "called in sick" say they "called off sick." I'd never heard that one before.

Reactions: DeereClone

jmax71

Oct 21, 2006

Waterloo and Dubuque are both communities that use the term Deere’s when saying anything about John Deere.
If you hear that term in a bar you can probably win a beer on betting you know where that person is from.
They have no idea the rest of the world is using the name Deere.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020

Many locals in pella call vermeer manufacturing “Vermeer’s”. Strange thing.

• Winner
Reactions: tman24

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
Not to intentionally resurect an old thread, but I just heard "Derek from New Sharon" call into the Dave Ramsey show on Tuesday (via podcast) calling himself "Pete from Chicago". He mentioned driving through Iowa and something about getting screwed over by a car dealership.

What an odd dude. He clearly needs a hobby.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Not to intentionally resurect an old thread, but I just heard "Derek from New Sharon" call into the Dave Ramsey show on Tuesday (via podcast) calling himself "Pete from Chicago". He mentioned driving through Iowa and something about getting screwed over by a car dealership.

What an odd dude. He clearly needs a hobby.
Him going toe to toe with Dave Ramsey for some reason sounds wildly entertaining to me.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Sounds like he has one that he loves to me...
So true. I listen to mostly talk radio locally, WGN or the local sports station. Just because I am never in the car for more than a few minutes on a daily basis and they tend to have less commercials than the music station. So, instead of listening to commercials for my 4 minute drive. I think most of the appeal for me is just trying to figure out the mentality of people who call into these shows that think the general public care about what it is they have to say.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
So what’s the deal with this guy? Why does he talk like he’s from the southern US? Do other people in Iowa have southern accents? CW and Stanz are from the southern most part of Iowa and they don’t talk like that. I think New Shannon isn’t even in southern Iowa, it’s eastern Iowa?
Is he Derek's brother?

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
He just called DP show to talk about Purdy. So proud to have him nationally representing the state of Iowa and ISU. Lol!
The second I heard “Derek in Iowa” I cringed and knew exactly who was coming. Thankfully it was brief and not as bad as I was expecting.