Darlinstone Dubar has entered the transfer portal

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Would they schedule DePaul again in the Big East challenge since we were suppose to play this year?

If not since the Big East has 11 teams now we are looking at drawing a team like Providence, Butler, Marquette. Thats probably a loss. Iowa is most likely a loss.

SEC we'll probably draw a team like South Carolina or Georgia. It's likely they play in a pre season tournament but hopefully it's the kind with teams like Boise State and Akron again.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Below is a list of scholarship players that the Cyclones.com website currently shows for 2021/22. Interesting that Coleman-Land is still on the list. Since this past season didn't count toward eligibility, I am reflecting that in Year column.

If Coleman-Land sticks around we have 3 scholarships available.
ISU Scholarships.JPG

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I think it is a combo of both. I think Pac 12 teams like Oregon and USC were underseeded and so was Loyola.

I AGREE all 3 teams were Vastly Underseeded....Of course Loyola with Sister Jean as there cheerleader and scout should have been seeded a lot higher than where they were....Illinois had no way to stop the Loyola Precision Offense and paid the price......CHICAGO ROCKS BUT the rest of Illinois SUCKS IMHO

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Would they schedule DePaul again in the Big East challenge since we were suppose to play this year?

If not since the Big East has 11 teams now we are looking at drawing a team like Providence, Butler, Marquette. Thats probably a loss. Iowa is most likely a loss.

SEC we'll probably draw a team like South Carolina or Georgia. It's likely they play in a pre season tournament but hopefully it's the kind with teams like Boise State and Akron again.
I'm lazy, are they up to 11 or down to 11? Wasn't aware of anyone coming or going from that conference.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So much of the NCAA Tournament is match-ups. The great teams cause match-up problems and can play against multiple styles and pace of play.

I also think situations like Loyola v Illinois or Abilene Christian v Texas can create unique situations - underdog: chip on shoulder v. favorite: over confidence.

Watching the tournament makes me more optimistic that with 3-4 solid players added to our roster that the Cyclones could be competitive in the Big 12 next year.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm not a CBB scheduler, so I don't know, but is it really easy to tell the difference between a 225 team and a 300+ team before the season starts? It seems like more than a bit of luck is needed if you are scheduling teams from the lowest conferences.

You can run five year averages and also look at how many upper classmen those teams that average out to 250-330 and get a pretty good idea.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
It's March 23. We don't even know the make-up of our team yet. Not the time to start counting wins and losses.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Below is a list of scholarship players that the Cyclones.com website currently shows for 2021/22. Interesting that Coleman-Land is still on the list. Since this past season didn't count toward eligibility, I am reflecting that in Year column.

View attachment 83202

Im not counting on JCL or Hinson being back.

cloneatlaw

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2006
Cedar Falls, IA

View attachment 83202

I don't think JCL would count toward the 13 even if he stays.

"If a student-athlete stays at their current school but has exhausted eligibility, their aid doesn’t count against team limits."

• Informative
Reactions: isucy86

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't think JCL would count toward the 13 even if he stays.

"If a student-athlete stays at their current school but has exhausted eligibility, their aid doesn’t count against team limits."

Thanks for clarifying. Wasn't sure how that was going to work for basketball.

I noticed last week that ESPN was calling these returning players "Super Seniors" related to football.

I would be surprised in Coleman-Land returns, unless there is a compelling reason from a graduate school degree perspective. But he was by-far our best 3 point shooter and seems like a mature kid, so he would be nice from a leadership perspective.

Interesting clarification from NCAA on extra year.

“The eligibility is available at another school,” the spokesperson said in a subsequent email, “but the scholarship will count against team limits. If a student-athlete stays at their current school but has exhausted eligibility, their aid doesn’t count against team limits.”

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Maybe because he played there, his dad coached there when they were decent and he understands the culture there. Other than that it's hard to tell.....

I would add, UNLV didn't hire Craig Smith either, even with ISU buyout money. Minnesota passed as well.
So, this means Smith was extremely interested, they shunned him, there were no other unique factors to those cases, and he stinks as a candidate. OK. Do you still need to be fighting the TJ battle? He was hired last week. Go TJ!

Reactions: Statefan10

Bubba Hubba

Dec 19, 2007

View attachment 83202

SIDE BAR: Center has become a 4-letter word in basketball. Case in point, Big George isn't a "forward."

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
So, this means Smith was extremely interested, they shunned him, there were no other unique factors to those cases, and he stinks as a candidate. OK. Do you still need to be fighting the TJ battle? He was hired last week. Go TJ!
There was speculation he was going to be interviewed but they didn't even bother and hired Kruger. I'm not fighting any battle. This is called "mop up" operations.

Help Support Us

Become a patron