Danny Mac's Mean Green

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Coach Mac helped make us relevant in football, and doesn't get much respect from about half our fanbase, which totally puzzles me when you realize how bad our program was preceding his hire. Love his passion, energy and intensity. His teams are gritty. He took us out of the Dark Ages and took us to 5 bowls in 7 years? But some bad coaching appointments led to his downfall. Hope CPR doesn't repeat history.

I think all of our fans appreciate Mac as long as no other fans are bringing up hypotheticals about how good we'd be if he was still our coach, that's when you get the attitude you reference.

broncocy5321

Dec 1, 2009
Clive
If MAC would have recruited and offered scholarships to kickers - he would still be our coach. Lost more than a dozen games because of special teams. Glad he is doing good at NT.

laxtonto

Dec 16, 2010
Denton
That is solely due to the OC, Mike Canales. He was Mac's first hire at UNT. When Mac had his stroke a few years ago, Canales was the interim HC for the last 5 games of the season. He took them from 16 points/game to 33. Also from 360 yds/game to 440. He's a guy we should be going after as our next OC. Damn good QB coach as well, coaching 5 all Americans, including Phillip Rivers. I nominate him. Oh, that's not how we get this deal done???

Not so much...

Chico was Dodges OC and took over after they fired him mid-season and was retained by Mac. Mac never missed games due to his stroke. That happened in the offseason.

That said, I love Chico, but the offense never really has been the issue. What is making this UNT team is an amazing emphasis on legit line play and extremely consistent tackling and an attitude that they will hit you and make you work for every yard. That comes from Mac and Skladany.
Well that and a ton of talent that has actually been developed and been forced to learn discipline and having a really strength training program.

Here is a great example of from a former MTSU star that now plays for the Cowboys:

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 16h .@PTanner34 once scored 6 TDs vs. UNT. His impression of Mean Green now: "Program looks totally different. They actually play defense.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If MAC would have recruited and offered scholarships to kickers - he would still be our coach. Lost more than a dozen games because of special teams. Glad he is doing good at NT.

Huge myth. He did recruit and give kickers scholarships.

clonecard

Oct 21, 2006
Broncocy5321 is correct, Mac would not give a schollie to a placekicker UNTIL he 'proved' himself. Our placekicking during his tenure was erratic to be kind. It is great to see Dan doing well at NTS....a super guy.