Danny Harris...Cleaned Up And Doing Well...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cyfanatic, Jul 27, 2008.

1. cyfanatic

cyfanatic Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    I can't believe it has been that long since Danny Harris was at Iowa State! 20+ years! I came across this article while perusing the LA Times. Short read but a feel good for sure! Here is wishing that Danny continues to follow the road he is currently taking! Good for him!

Addiction was Danny Harris' biggest hurdle - Los Angeles Times

2. wesley_w

wesley_w Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Ames, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +230 / 3 / -0
    That is great news about Danny. The last I had ever heard of him was that he had rehabed but fallen back into drug use more than once. I hope he can stay clean and have a good life. He was a very friendly and engaging guy when he was here as an undergrad.

That 400 meter hurdles race in 1984 is one of my favorite memories of any olympics.
    I wonder how good of a football player he would have ended up being. He came on a FB scholarship and then concentrated solely on track.

3. cyfanatic

cyfanatic Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    It seemed as though in the 80s ISU always seemed to have at least one stud runner in the track program...mens and womens. I remember the day that Danny beat Edwin Moses...that was as huge a story as track and field could provide these days...it wasn't that Danny wasn't great...it was that Moses was that tough!

4. wesley_w

wesley_w Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Ames, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +230 / 3 / -0
    Yeah, in my mind that has to be one of the greatest winning streaks of all time. Especially in the hurdles where things can go wrong. Of course, Cael may have topped it!!!:smile:

Speaking of track. I noticed on the schedule that the Big12 cross country championships are in Ames this year.

5. cyclonenum1

cyclonenum1 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    #5 cyclonenum1, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
    A pic I took of Danny when he was honored at half time of the first night game in Cyclone Stadium (Homecoming against OU):