Cyclones will be ranked preseason #5 or #6

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011

Athlon Sports Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2021

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Georgia
5. Ohio State
6. IOWA STATE
7. Cincinnati
8. Texas A&M
9. Notre Dame
10. North Carolina
11. Wisconsin
12. Oregon
13. Florida
14. Iowa
15. USC
16. Miami (FL)
17. Arizona State
18. Coastal Carolina
19. Indiana
20. TCU
21. Oklahoma State
22. Washington
23. LSU
24. Texas
25. Louisiana-Lafayette

6. Iowa State
The Cyclones continued to reach new heights under Matt Campbell in 2020. The program earned its first trip to the Big 12 title game, finished with nine wins (the program's highest victory total since 2000 and has recorded a winning mark in Big 12 play for four consecutive years). Campbell's program is positioned for another conference title game in 2021, as quarterback Brock Purdy, running back Breece Hall and receiver Xavier Hutchinson are back to headline the offense. Tight end Charlie Kolar (44 catches) will be one of the best in college football if he returns in 2021. Additionally, a line that allowed only 14 sacks is slated to return intact next fall. Iowa State's defense has finished in the top three in the Big 12 in scoring defense in each of the last four years and will be strong once again with linebacker Mike Rose, safety Isheem Young and edge rusher Will McDonald (10.5 sacks) back to anchor this unit under coordinator Jon Heacock. The schedule features a home showdown against Iowa and conference games in Ames against Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas. Iowa State plays at Oklahoma and West Virginia next fall.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Georgia
5. Ohio State
6. IOWA STATE
7. Cincinnati
8. Texas A&M
9. Notre Dame
10. North Carolina
11. Wisconsin
12. Oregon
13. Florida
14. Iowa
15. USC
16. Miami (FL)
17. Arizona State
18. Coastal Carolina
19. Indiana
20. TCU
21. Oklahoma State
22. Washington
23. LSU
24. Texas
25. Louisiana-Lafayette

6. Iowa State
The Cyclones continued to reach new heights under Matt Campbell in 2020. The program earned its first trip to the Big 12 title game, finished with nine wins (the program's highest victory total since 2000 and has recorded a winning mark in Big 12 play for four consecutive years). Campbell's program is positioned for another conference title game in 2021, as quarterback Brock Purdy, running back Breece Hall and receiver Xavier Hutchinson are back to headline the offense. Tight end Charlie Kolar (44 catches) will be one of the best in college football if he returns in 2021. Additionally, a line that allowed only 14 sacks is slated to return intact next fall. Iowa State's defense has finished in the top three in the Big 12 in scoring defense in each of the last four years and will be strong once again with linebacker Mike Rose, safety Isheem Young and edge rusher Will McDonald (10.5 sacks) back to anchor this unit under coordinator Jon Heacock. The schedule features a home showdown against Iowa and conference games in Ames against Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas. Iowa State plays at Oklahoma and West Virginia next fall.

Which is about right. Could a case be made for A&M or Notre Dame to be ranked higher? Sure. I dont see anyone else on that list however that could justify a higher ranking than Iowa State to start the year.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Georgia
5. Ohio State
6. IOWA STATE
7. Cincinnati
8. Texas A&M
9. Notre Dame
10. North Carolina
11. Wisconsin
12. Oregon
13. Florida
14. Iowa
15. USC
16. Miami (FL)
17. Arizona State
18. Coastal Carolina
19. Indiana
20. TCU
21. Oklahoma State
22. Washington
23. LSU
24. Texas
25. Louisiana-Lafayette

6. Iowa State

UT 5th in Big 12. Makes me chuckle.

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
I don’t know if we’re losing the first game this year because the team will know that everyone is out to get them being that we are starting out in the top 10. The Hawkeyes are in deep sh*t. Coming to Ames when we are ranked high? It’s going to be epic.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Honestly I expect at least one and more likely a couple B10 teams to be in the top 10 besides tOSU, just because that is what the voters do. PSU, WI, heck even with the train wreck MI is they will be ranked in the top 25.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Honestly I expect at least one and more likely a couple B10 teams to be in the top 10 besides tOSU, just because that is what the voters do. PSU, WI, heck even with the train wreck MI is they will be ranked in the top 25.

Agree, I expect at least one other B10 to get in or extremely close to top 10, probably 5 total in top 25. We'll see.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
True, but when you typically take that top 40 talent and get into top 20 annually people notice and higher rankings result.
And I love that he is doing that.
But like the op asked, why would the not rank us high, I think our class rankings is an easy place to attack. You can only over achieve for so long before it will catch up to you. And in CFB all it takes some seasons is one loss and we would not be making the playoffs.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You can only over achieve for so long before it will catch up to you.
Simply not true. Campbell gets guys that work in his system. Then recruits see what they can accomplish in our system and want to emulate that. Hall was a highly ranked recruit and Sanders sees how Iowa State can raise his game.Rose may not of been as highly ranked but he fit the system. Other guys with similar rankings see what Iowa State can develop them into. I really think the biggest part of the process is the intelligence of the kids he brings in.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
For a chance at the playoff we gotta sure up the other cornerback spot. Imo. Hopefully TJ Tampa is the guy. I really like his size/athleticism. We all saw his basketball highlights....dude is a freak.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Simply not true. Campbell gets guys that work in his system. Then recruits see what they can accomplish in our system and want to emulate that. Hall was a highly ranked recruit and Sanders sees how Iowa State can raise his game.Rose may not of been as highly ranked but he fit the system. Other guys with similar rankings see what Iowa State can develop them into. I really think the biggest part of the process is the intelligence of the kids he brings in.
Actually we did overachieve due to intelligence and our adaptation to Covid. We had no game cancellations, and minimal infections after the first game. That gave us an advantage in 2020 that we won’t have in 2021.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Actually we did overachieve due to intelligence and our adaptation to Covid. We had no game cancellations, and minimal infections after the first game. That gave us an advantage in 2020 that we won’t have in 2021.
We'll still have a team filled with smart individuals. That's not going to change.

ILikeBacon

Apr 1, 2013
I think the fact that we return almost everybody means we don’t have to spend much time figuring out who we are at the start of the season.

Excellent point! I have been so excited to have all of these great players back, but I hadn't thought about this angle specifically.

I love the idea of not having a couple of early games where we underperform expectations.

Especially when playing one team that has had basically the same style for 20 years running, never having to worry about new plays, big changes, etc.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Excellent point! I have been so excited to have all of these great players back, but I hadn't thought about this angle specifically.

I love the idea of not having a couple of early games where we underperform expectations.

Especially when playing one team that has had basically the same style for 20 years running, never having to worry about new plays, big changes, etc.

I am hoping with basically everyone back ISU will not have the slow start that has plagued Campbell's teams . This year the OL and WR rooms had a lot of new guys. Hutchinson had a ton of drops in the opening game, plus no Charlie, and once Downing went down to injury it was all over.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
I am hoping with basically everyone back ISU will not have the slow start that has plagued Campbell's teams . This year the OL and WR rooms had a lot of new guys. Hutchinson had a ton of drops in the opening game, plus no Charlie, and once Downing went down to injury it was all over.

Just a question...who do u think will start at the other cornerback position? And who will take Lawrence White's position? I really like TJ Tamp.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Just a question...who do u think will start at the other cornerback position? And who will take Lawrence White's position? I really like TJ Tamp.

I look for Mason Chambers to be in the battle for the safety position. Tampa has done a decent job when called upon, and another year will help him a lot. Certainly is talented. Having Elsworth and I. Young at safety helps a lot. Kyle has been okay at DB. Needs to get a little bigger and stronger in the off season. DJ Miller is a guy that has played some too. There is a lot of young DBs in the program. 9 freshmen or RS freshmen, several of them have played significant time.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
If we're ranked that high in preseason we will definitely lose to the hocks. We need to start out at #15 to have a chance at the playoffs.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
If we're ranked that high in preseason we will definitely lose to the hocks. We need to start out at #15 to have a chance at the playoffs.

Hawks lose a lot on their defensive front 7. When considering we return our entire offensive line and the nations leading rusher thats not a great recipe for success from their perspective. Their QB doesn't exactly strike fear into me either on the other end.