Cyclones will be ranked preseason #5 or #6

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Tell me why I am wrong.

They should finish ranked anywhere 7-9 this year and return 20 of 22 starters.

Likely SIX preseason offensive first team all-conference players in Purdy, Hall, Hutchinson, Kolar, Newell and Downing (Schweiger could sneak in there). That is ridiculous!

Likely FOUR preseason defensive first team all-conference players in McDonald, Rose, Johnson, Eisworth (Enyi or Young could sneak in there).

Outside of Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State who has a case to be ranked higher than Iowa State?

Reactions: isutrevman

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
Where we will be and where we should be aren’t necessarily the same thing. That said, it’s hard to believe we won’t be in the preseason top ten.

I would argue Iowa State is every bit as good as Oklahoma going into next season.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
For reasons why we won’t. The media loves the big 10 and SEC, so you’ll again see teams in those conferences over values. This will be the case for Iowa due to their “performance” this season. This will lead to some teams being ranked ahead of us.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I'm honesty looking for names of teams the AP may try to justify being higher.

Pac 12: We just crushed Oregon. Not sure who else in the Pac 12 could be considered? USC?

SEC: Outside of Bama and Georgia - Florida loses a TON. A&M loses their QB

Big Ten: Outside of Ohio State was a laughing stock. NW loses their QB. Michigan, Penn State and Wisky all had bad years.

ACC: Outside of Clemson only teams that may be considered are North Carolina and Miami which I don't think either school would be rankehigher.

Independent: Notre Dame again gets crushed on the big stage and had a ton of seniors on their depth chart.

Reactions: isutrevman

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Probably 10-13, because preseason rakings favor the B1G and SEC and bluebloods and sexy sleepers. There is 7 months for the sports world to talk themselves into over ranking those teams.

Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Georgia, Notre Dame will all be ahead of ISU

Clemson, USC, Florida, Texas A&M will probably be ahead of ISU

Indiana, Miami, North Carolina, Northwestern, BYU, Wisconsin, Texas may be ahead of ISU

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'd take that wager. #7 at the absolute lowest.
You’re putting too much stock into voters actually doing research on what teams return and whatnot vs just ranking teams based on their name. There’s probably a fair amount of East and West coast, and SE voters who won’t even bat an eye at ISU.
I’d guess 10th +\- 2 spots.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Well what do you wanna bet. :)

Ha how about just respect. There just isn't any possible way you could justify them being ranked LOWER than where they finish ranked this season. If they are, well, I guess good it will put a giant chip on their shoulder to start the year.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Ha how about just respect. There just isn't any possible way you could justify them being ranked LOWER than where they finish ranked this season. If they are, well, I guess good it will put a giant chip on their shoulder to start the year.

Hey If you are right I will concede, I just don't see it, but wouldn't be upset about that ranking.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
You’re putting too much stock into voters actually doing research on what teams return and whatnot vs just ranking teams based on their name. There’s probably a fair amount of East and West coast, and SE voters who won’t even bat an eye at ISU.
I’d guess 10th +\- 2 spots.

I think the vast majority likely use the general rules of thumb and checklist:

Whered you finish ranked last year?
How many returning starters?
QB returning?
How many preseason all conference players?

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Tell me why I am wrong.

Likely SIX preseason offensive first team all-conference players in Purdy, Hall, Hutchinson, Kolar, Newell and Downing (Schweiger could sneak in there). That is ridiculous!

Likely FOUR preseason defensive first team all-conference players in McDonald, Rose, Johnson, Eisworth (Enyi or Young could sneak in there).

Outside of Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State who has a case to be ranked higher than Iowa State?
But Indiana!
/ sarcasm
Let's Go State!

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Should and will are miles apart. Should be 5 or 6, but I’ll put the over/under at 10. I don’t have a ton of confidence in the AP and Coach’s voters to do enough research outside their conferences to give ISU appropriate credit for their 2020 season and what they’re returning.

• Winner
Reactions: CascadeClone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Tell me why I am wrong.

because we are Iowa State. I figure anywhere in the top 15 is a good starting point.