JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Jan 2, 2021; Glendale, AZ, USA; Iowa State Cyclones linebacker O’Rien Vance and quarterback Brock Purdy (right) celebrate as they receive the defensive and offensive players of the game awards after defeating the Oregon Ducks 34-17 at the 50th PlayStation Fiesta Bowl at State Farm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rob Schumacher-Arizona Republic via USA TODAY Network

The 2021 Iowa State football hype train has officially left the station.

The Cyclones came in at No. 7 in 247Sports‘ initial top-25 ranking for the 2021 college football season released on Monday. This comes one day before Iowa State will complete the 2020 season with its highest postseason ranking in program history and first spot in the postseason rankings since 2000.

“The Cyclones fell one drive short of a Big 12 Championship in 2020, but the progress under coach Matt Campbell is quite clear,” the 247 article explains. “Campbell will again be a trendy name in coaching searches at both the college and NFL...

Continue reading...

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
200.gif

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That matchup next year with the Hawks will be insanely fun.

Really...?

I am constantly informed in the ISR threads (from both sides) that there's really nothing interesting about that game when you think about it and we could find more interesting and higher-quality opponents super easily.

"Not." -Borat

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Really...?

I am constantly informed in the ISR threads (from both sides) that there's really nothing interesting about that game when you think about it and we could find more interesting and higher-quality opponents super easily.

"Not." -Borat

Well

It is very interesting, because of the in-state rivalry.

It is NOT the most important game. Every conference game is the most important since we first have to win the conference to get to the CFP.

But because we aren't a blue-blood and don't have a conference that manipulates schedules to protect the potential CFP qualifier, we have to win every game so it will be much more important than it has been.

We could find higher quality opponent and that might be good for a news story but probably not for state economy.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Well

It is very interesting, because of the in-state rivalry.

It is NOT the most important game. Every conference game is the most important since we first have to win the conference to get to the CFP.

But because we aren't a blue-blood and don't have a conference that manipulates schedules to protect the potential CFP qualifier, we have to win every game so it will be much more important than it has been.

We could find higher quality opponent and that might be good for a news story but probably not for state economy.

Beating to be what is likely to be a very good Hawkeyes team will be a feather in our caps and one for the Big 12 over the Big Ten, too, both of which are going to be extremely valuable come committee time.

I agree that early losses are "better" than late ones and the focus should be on winning the Big 12, but think about it this way instead -- the Big 12 is just too brutal to expect to go 9-0. Even 8-1 is a tall mountain, and at both of those records you still have to defeat what will be an excellent Oklahoma team at least once in Arlington.

We need to beat Iowa... because it preserves our mulligan in the Big 12... because we'll likely need it if we are going to seriously make a push towards the college football playoff.

Last edited:

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Beating to be what is likely to be a very good Hawkeyes team will be a feather in our caps and one for the Big 12 over the Big Ten, too, both of which are going to be extremely valuable come committee time.

I agree that early losses are "better" than late ones and the focus should be on winning the Big 12, but think about it this way -- the Big 12 is just too brutal to expect to go 9-0. Even 8-1 is a tall mountain, and at both of those records you still have to defeat what will be an excellent Oklahoma team at least once in Arlington.

We need to beat Iowa... because it preserves our mulligan in the Big 12... because we'll likely need it if we are going to seriously make a push towards the college football playoff.

We might agree To me the wish list is
1) Go 9-0 in Conference
2) Win CCG
3) Beat Iowa

I will go into the fall obsessed with doing all 3!

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We might agree To me the wish list is
1) Go 9-0 in Conference
2) Win CCG
3) Beat Iowa

I will go into the fall obsessed with doing all 3!

CCG > 9-0 > Iowa

We already won a phantom Big 12 regular season title. We need to bring home the hardware from Arlington next.

We do CCG and then 1/2 of the other two, and we're 12-1 with a Big 12 title... likely playoff. That assumes no other screwups, but if we're 12-1 with our only loss to a good Iowa or good Big 12 team, we're in fine shape.

And crazy as it seems, these are all reasonable expectations for this team.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The off-season is gonna be brutally long, but man it feels good to be optimistic about football during that time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron