19. West Virginia
20. UCLA
21. South Florida
22. Arizona
23. Texas A&M
24. Virginia Tech
25. Texas

Others Receiving Votes
Georgia, Michigan State, Florida Gulf Coast, Missouri State, South Dakota, LSU, Arkansas, Washington State, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, DePaul, Belmont, Oklahoma, South Dakota State

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'm not sure if we are over-ranked or not. In the 20's would see more fitting since we don't have a proven post presence. Other positions are loaded for bear though.

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
I'm not sure if we are over-ranked or not. In the 20's would see more fitting since we don't have a proven post presence. Other positions are loaded for bear though.
Without Kristin Scott, I don't think the team is top 25 at all. The front court might work out but more likely a season long learning curve with the new faces.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Without Kristin Scott, I don't think the team is top 25 at all. The front court might work out but more likely a season long learning curve with the new faces.

Spots 1 through 4 are veterans (unless Fritz starts which is likely). Even with Fritz at point there is exceptional depth. I loved Scott, but she battled injuries a lot and the team still found ways to win without her presence. Towards the end of the season last year she was very limited in minutes. The fantastic game v ATM showed what this team can do without her. Right now I have faith in this squad.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Spots 1 through 4 are veterans (unless Fritz starts which is likely). Even with Fritz at point there is exceptional depth. I loved Scott, but she battled injuries a lot and the team still found ways to win without her presence. Towards the end of the season last year she was very limited in minutes. The fantastic game v ATM showed what this team can do without her. Right now I have faith in this squad.

I'm not super concerned about the post. Every year peeps on CF point out how we don't have a super All-American post. Only an handful of teams do have top tier posts. All the rotation of posts for us needs to do is play decent defense and score when the opportunity is there. We will have the size from four different gals and we know Kane can run the court and rebound. Kane's issue may be her fouls. Will certainly be a change though, don't see any of our posts taking the opponents post out of the paint by hitting threes.**

Will be more interested in what the position averages more than what the individual player averages. If we can get close to 10 points and 10 rebounds out of the position that would be pretty good.

Will be really fun to see how our rotation at post does against Iowa's high scoring post Czinano. Czinano is considered a good post, first team All-Big 10. She can go on amazing scoring steaks but really doesn't play very good defense. Will be a really good early season test.

** However, just for fun, Morgan Kane is a career 75% three point shooter (3-4). ;)

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
17 point lead and we let one player shoot them back into the game.

Well, that and only scoring 7 points in the 4th quarter against a team noted for it's weak defense. Even 10 points would have given us a one point win and the headline is "Hawks 27 Point 4th Quarter Rally Falls Just Short"

Has the makings of a great TV game this season for WBB fans not affiliated or a fan of either school. Ranked teams, rivalry, and marque players on each side.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Will certainly be a change though, don't see any of our posts taking the opponents post out of the paint by hitting threes.**
** However, just for fun, Morgan Kane is a career 75% three point shooter (3-4). ;)

Career 3pt numbers:
Kane: 3-4 in 408 career minutes
Jordao: 0-1 in 797 career minutes
Zingaro: 0-0 in 7 career minutes (in 2019-20 high school, she was 4-14 in 20 games, unknown minutes -- maybe 500ish)
Vick: 0-0 in 0 career minutes (her last three years of high school, she was 16-49 in 1666 minutes)

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

Lose? I'm really torn on this debate. On the one hand, we did play a lot without a healthy Scott last year. On the other hand, Scott was a consistent third scoring option when she was healthy, something we are desperately going to need this year.

Who is the consistent scoring threat after Ashley Joens and Lexi Donarski? I know Emily Ryan is being asked to be more of a scorer this year, but can she do that consistently, game in and game out? Can we duplicate Scott's production with the four-headed post player? All we need is three or four points and 2 or 3 rebounds out of each of them every night ;) .

I think Fritz is the wildcard this year. If she can live up to her billing (BF said that if there was a game today, she'd be starting), we might just be the 11th ranked team. If she can be a strong defender, take care of the ball, grab a few rebounds and score about 7-9 points a game, I think we have a chance to win the conference. From what little I've seen of Fritz in practice videos, she looks like she's all business and tough as nails.

Reactions: acoustimac

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm not super concerned about the post. Every year peeps on CF point out how we don't have a super All-American post. Only an handful of teams do have top tier posts. All the rotation of posts for us needs to do is play decent defense and score when the opportunity is there. We will have the size from four different gals and we know Kane can run the court and rebound. Kane's issue may be her fouls. Will certainly be a change though, don't see any of our posts taking the opponents post out of the paint by hitting threes.**

Will be more interested in what the position averages more than what the individual player averages. If we can get close to 10 points and 10 rebounds out of the position that would be pretty good.

Will be really fun to see how our rotation at post does against Iowa's high scoring post Czinano. Czinano is considered a good post, first team All-Big 10. She can go on amazing scoring steaks but really doesn't play very good defense. Will be a really good early season test.

I'd like to see BF bring an uber athletic PF That gives them a different look and allows them to match up better with the teams that try to pound them into submission. I know it's not his way but having the club to pull that club out of the bag could be a nice switch.

runningcy

Oct 16, 2008
Ames
I'd like to see BF bring an uber athletic PF That gives them a different look and allows them to match up better with the teams that try to pound them into submission. I know it's not his way but having the club to pull that club out of the bag could be a nice switch.

Ashley will be starting at the 4 every though she is a true 3 but her ability to get inside and score will give us somewhat of a post threat and the other 4 gals should be able to hold down the 5... we have so many gals who can light it up from 3( Lexi, Emily, Ashley, Aubrey, Maggie EM and Fritz) that should open up the inside for Ashley and the posts. What about Nyamier she’s 6-1 where will she fit?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
What about Nyamier she’s 6-1 where will she fit?
She might be a 5 when we're running a smaller lineup, but I assume she'll mostly be playing 3/4. She's likely capable of playing 3 or 4 alongside Ashley and 4 when Ashley is sitting (which doesn't happen often). She was 12-36 behind the arc last season (363 minutes played), so she's capable of shooting threes.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Ashley will be starting at the 4 every though she is a true 3 but her ability to get inside and score will give us somewhat of a post threat and the other 4 gals should be able to hold down the 5... we have so many gals who can light it up from 3( Lexi, Emily, Ashley, Aubrey, Maggie EM and Fritz) that should open up the inside for Ashley and the posts. What about Nyamier she’s 6-1 where will she fit?
Ashley is a great player, I'd call her relentless but she's not the same type of 4 I'm talking about. I'm not saying you change the teams identity, I'm just saying it would be nice to have an option to match up with bigger teams upfront.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
It’s not the talent in the post that concerns me, it’s the inexperience. That’s a position where young players can get eaten alive. Bright side is all we need is toughness, defense and rebounding. No doubt someone or some people will rise to the challenge but will it be soon enough to compete for a conference title and maybe get one over our instate rivals?

runningcy

Oct 16, 2008
Ames
It will be fun to the sister in action in the exhibition! Lots of things to find out! How many points is Ashley going to put up a night? How I improved are Lex and Em? See our posts working out the kinks!

Reactions: ISC

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
It’s not the talent in the post that concerns me, it’s the inexperience. That’s a position where young players can get eaten alive. Bright side is all we need is toughness, defense and rebounding. No doubt someone or some people will rise to the challenge but will it be soon enough to compete for a conference title and maybe get one over our instate rivals?

We have experience here, Morgan has played quite a bit, Beatriz played 3 seasons before her transfer and Izzi had minimal last year in the conference and played for her country this summer. As has been posted all we need from the 4 players is defense, rebounds and 10+ points from the position. If our outside shooting is on it will open the post area for feeds and easier baskets.