NBA: Cyclones' off-season: contracts, draft, summer league

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Not sure if there's that much interest but I was thinking of starting a "Cyclones playing hoops overseas" kind of thread. I like to follow the guys overseas and know where to get info. I followed Matt pretty carefully last year in Spain. Anyway, DJ got off to a good start in the (very decent) Greek league.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The 76ers blew out a team from Guanzhou in their first pre-season game (144-86) and Shayok only got 6 minutes. But he wasn't shy about shooting - 4-7 FG, 2-5 3PT for 10 PTS.

For OKC, Nader played 16 MIN, was 1-3 FG with 3 PTS (and 3 TO). Burton also played 16 and went 1-2 FG with 2 PTS.

Monte was his usual efficient self in 19 MIN with 4-8 FG, 12 PTS, 4 AST and 2 TO (it's pre-season; he's getting them out of his system). A little over-hype for a pre-season game:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Raptors' game was in Tokyo - hoops has taken Matty Ice to a lot of places. A Toronto beat writer tweeted this (Is that posed or are the Raptors too cheap to get guys their own room?)

This is whose shot I show kids to emulate:

Reactions: Acylum

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I have to admit, I think it's hilarious that the Jazz' social media refers to Georges Niang as "The MInivan". Unstylish yet effective - nice left-handed finish here:

It's kind of nice to see Georges down on the block; he's often out on a wing waiting for a kick-out.

Georges finished the Jazz' 2nd preseason game with 9 points on 3-8 FG in 15 MIN.

Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Whoever this chump for the Clippers is on Monte, he can't stop Big Game :)

After a miss, Monte dishes a sweet assist:

Monte had 9 pts in 17 minutes (4-9 FG, 3 AST, 1 TO) in the Nuggets' 2nd pre-season game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Whoever this chump for the Clippes is on Monte, he can't stop Big Game :)

After a miss, Monte dishes a sweet assist:

Monte had 9 pts in 17 minutes (4-9 FG, 3 AST, 1 TO) in the Nuggets' 2nd pre-season game.

Here’s a some highlights. Really good stretch by Monte starting at 6:45.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Here’s a some highlights. Really good stretch by Monte starting at 6:45.

Good shots of Monte there - thanks for sharing. His chemistry with Plumlee is really impressive. Those two are always combining on lobs (I saw Plumlee at the Denver airport a few weeks ago).

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
3 ex-Cyclones were in action in NBA pre-season games on Sunday, all with pretty good lines.

Matt Thomas played 19 minutes and had 12 pts for the Raps (5-10 FG, 2-5 3 PT). I don't think that the Ice Man will be in the rotation initially for Toronto but sometimes it's about being ready when you get your chance.

Marial Shayok continues to get shots up at a mind-blowing rate in pre-season. He played 5 MIN and went 2-4 FG (1-2 3 PT) and had 4 points.

It was good to see the Wiggy got some run for the T'wolves vs. Maccabi of Haifa.. Lindell played 10 MIN and went 4-5 for FG with 9 PT and 3 AST and 1 TO.

I'm not sure any of this will matter to these guys but they didn't hurt their chances with these performances.

Last edited:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Not unexpected, Lindell will start his pro trek in Des Moines.

@RealDCunningham The Minnesota Timberwolves have signed Tyus Battle and Barry Brown Jr, the team announced. Jordan Murphy and Lindell Wigginton have been waived to create the necessary room on the roster.
Re: @DWolfsonKSTP Exhibit 10 deals. More talent for the Iowa Wolves (where Murphy and Wigginton will land). #Twolves

• Informative
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Not unexpected, Lindell will start his pro trek in Des Moines.

@RealDCunningham The Minnesota Timberwolves have signed Tyus Battle and Barry Brown Jr, the team announced. Jordan Murphy and Lindell Wigginton have been waived to create the necessary room on the roster.
Re: @DWolfsonKSTP Exhibit 10 deals. More talent for the Iowa Wolves (where Murphy and Wigginton will land). #Twolves
Hmm. Seems like Lindell to the G-league squad was the plan all along - I found a promo that he did in late SEPT:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

Lines for ex-Clones in pre-season games last night:

Monte - 13 MIN, 6 PTS, 2-5 FG, 1 AST, 0 TO

Abdel - 14 MIN, 4 PTS, 2-6 FG, 3 REB

Deonte - 13 MIN, 4 PTS, 2-4 FG, 2 REB

Georges - 10 MIN, 5 PTS, 2-7 FG, 1-5 3PT, 7 REB and a strange, team-best +13 in a loss. Utah played 9 guys in the first 3 quarters, basically. Georges was the 10th guy and played only 3 minutes in the first 3 quarters. He hasn't shot the ball very well in pre-season and my guess is that he's on the edge of rotation minutes. I could be wrong - coaches all do different things with pre-season playing time.

• Useful
Reactions: srjclone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Matt Thomas went 3-3 from 3PT in the Raps' win over the Nets (10 MIN of PT).

That's the good news. But check out Nick Nurse's comments on their end-of-bench guys; as we knew, the issue will be whether he can guard people at an NBA level:

One Toronto writer thinks that Nurse is looking at an 8-man rotation to start the year, one that wouldn't include Matt.

The Raps are on TNT on Tuesday night in their season opener vs. New Orleans (Is Matt the draw there or some guy named Zion?).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron