Cyclones not on TV.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Say what you will about Mayfield but I think he is a competitor - albeit sometimes misguided - and I think he can offer respect to other competitors who best him. He seems to have a hard time with the respect of competitors who he bests at times, though.
I see a lot of Favre, Brees, and Rivers in him. He will last a decade or more in the NFL.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I see a lot of Favre, Brees, and Rivers in him. He will last a decade or more in the NFL.

I honestly like Mayfield, and hope he does well. Something that irked me this morning, I was listening to Golic and Wingo (wrong choice to begin with), and Wingo said something to the effect of everyone in the Big 12 is accurate since big 12 doesn't play any defense, as a way to diminish Mayfield. Such a stupid take. Mayfield has a strong arm, doesn't run that often, but uses feet to move around, and can hit all the throws. I agree with your comparisons.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
As if Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, etc. haven't acted in ways Baker gets knocked for. They all have huge egos. It's a sport where people bash each other. I never understood the idea that these people need to be all goody goody. It's fun to see personalities!

So you've seen Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady grab their crotch and yell '**** You' at people in public?

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I honestly like Mayfield, and hope he does well. Something that irked me this morning, I was listening to Golic and Wingo (wrong choice to begin with), and Wingo said something to the effect of everyone in the Big 12 is accurate since big 12 doesn't play any defense, as a way to diminish Mayfield. Such a stupid take. Mayfield has a strong arm, doesn't run that often, but uses feet to move around, and can hit all the throws. I agree with your comparisons.

I’m so tired of that Big12 narrative. Especially after last season. But there is always that one shootout once or twice a year that defines the D of the entire conference. It’s a lazy take by national pundits who have b1g or sec bias.

Reactions: khardbored

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I actually heard their bit on this arlier this week. Ask Georgia about defense, I guess.

Mike and Mike wasn't great, but the new stuff is just awful. Just Patriots, Lebron, and maybe something about the Cowboys.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I’m so tired of that Big12 narrative. Especially after last season. But there is always that one shootout once or twice a year that defines the D of the entire conference. It’s a lazy take by national pundits who have b1g or sec bias.

It gets very tiring. SEC and Big10 games have high-scoring games, but it's not looked at the same way. It's so ******* annoying.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That was certainly over the top, but let's not act like those two are saints on a football field, either.

Likely not, but using Mayfield in the same thought as them behaviorally is odd.

So far he's closer to Manziel. It will be interesting to see if he figures it out.

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
My prediction is Baker Mayfield joins the long list of bad Browns draft picks.

It’s funny to listen to the sports pundits talk about how he’s not your typical NFL quarterback and his swagger will help him. They said the exact same stuff about Manziel. Admittedly Mayfield is a far more accurate passer than Manziel ever was but mental and maturity lapses don’t just magically go away.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You must be a Mayfield fan then. He didn't win the Heisman with his personality.
I am not saying he doesn't have skill. I'm just saying I don't care to watch attitude. And no, I'm not a fan, primarily due to some of the antics above.

However, I WILL give him props for taking it well when the Cyclones planted a flag in their centerfield....even if our staff dealt with it far more quickly than the OU staff did at tOSU.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
My prediction is Baker Mayfield joins the long list of bad Browns draft picks.

It’s funny to listen to the sports pundits talk about how he’s not your typical NFL quarterback and his swagger will help him. They said the exact same stuff about Manziel. Admittedly Mayfield is a far more accurate passer than Manziel ever was but mental and maturity lapses don’t just magically go away.

Organization has so much more to do with success than one players talent. Good players have wasted away on bad teams and guys with potential have become huge successes when playing for good organizations. The Browns have proven to be cancer for QBs. Maybe the new GM knows what he's doing better than the old one, but they still have to build a competent team before any QB can be successful.