Cyclones Land New Commitment!!!

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
he was elite all state this year as well. i think he can be a really good player in a year or two. great instincts. like i said, the speed is legit, size is legit. if he bulks up to 230ish and can maintain that speed i dont see why he cant play. underrated recruit IMO.

hes tough too. played the entire state playoff game vs ankeny with a fractured bone in his foot and was in a walking boot for about 2 months after that. that takes balls there

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
Jake has more D1 offers(4) than 80% of the committments we have so far. He is now listed at 6-3 and 227#'s on rivals. If he is even close to the 4.57 40 he is listed with he has the measurables to be a Big XII linebacker. Yet some of the experts here think they know more than the staff and have already decided he is not scholarship worthy. I have heard about this kid since he was a sophomore at Waukee and was slightly confused as to why the previous staff was not showing him any interest. If there is concern that PR will revert back to the in-state fall back recruits that Mac used to get Jake should not be the reason for to think that. The reaches Mac used to make rarely had any other D1 offers. This is not Collins Eboh, Levi Kanwicher, or Matt Sherbring. Jake is a solid D1 recruit that would probably get a few more offers by the time signing day rolled around if he had not committed this weekend. Sorry about the rant but some of you have obviously not follower recruiting for very long.

Reactions: cc4td28 and yCy

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Waukee isn't exactly invisible, not some tiny little eight man school. If he were any good, Iowa wouldn't be going to the East Coast for two star linebacker recruits; and Kansas and Nebraska would be offering. Hardly like he's a hidden gem.

Iowa was recruiting him heavily, just to let you know. They were probably trying to sneak him on the team and not have to use a scholarship. So, no, he wasn't a hidden gem. He also had three offers form Division 1-A schools and several from 1-AA schools.

These are the kinds of Iowa kids that we regret losing when they go somewhere else. And his speed appears to be legit, if you look at his videos. This kid is just a great athlete, with offers from Iowa, among others, to play baseball as well.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
If nothing else, he looks like he could be a valuable contributor on special teams. LB/TE types are key parts of coverage units as well as the intermediate positions on KO returns. Special teams comprise nearly one-third of a game and can end up either winning or losing toss-up games.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
However, you're right in the fact that I'm not sure a 200lb linebacker from Waukee, ranked 9th in the state and with Army as his next best offer, is really going to materially help us. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

He's closer to 220 than 200. In fact, if you look at the Rivals database, they now list him at 227. That has changed just since the commitment story was posted, so I'm sure whoever wrote the story asked him for his vital stats and changed the database. ESPN rates him higher than Mosby.

Last edited:

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Here are his 2008 season stats per Quik Stats Iowa...

Rushing: 22 car, 142 yds, 6.5 ypc, 4 TD

Recieving: 37 rec, 846 yds, 22.9 ypc, 5 TD

Defense: 106 tackles, 3 TFL, 2 INT (1 TD)

Returns: 13 KR, 286 yds, 22 ypr

Punting: 39 punts, 32.9 avg

so in other words he pretty much did everything there was to do on a football field.... and i specifically made his yards per catch bold because that is a really good looking stat.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Welcome to the Cyclones, Jake!

So, what's the "great" news? I'm still looking for that part.

That claimed 4.57 40 time is questionable, at best. It's not a combine time, and if he was really that big and that fast, we wouldn't be getting him over North Dakota and Wyoming. Not so long ago, a high school kid from Cresco named Kyle Slifka claimed to be the same size and speed. He walked on at ISU, you decide how that turned out.

Geez can you think anymore negatively. We get a decent recruit and your not happy. Maybe you should of stayed in bed today.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
well 106 tackles is nice waukee was also at the isu camp this summer (see David Barrent thread) and bith this guay and walker woods looked really good. any news if were trying to get a prefered walk on out of woods? also his size and speed are legit

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Lets go get Matt Hoch in Harlan. I have never seen a motor on a guy, with his size, ever. (I will be 50 within 10 years) If he follows his brother to MIZZOU so be it. If he goes to the Hawks he will end up like most of the other in state recruits that choose the dark side, lost and disoriented. Blum from Walnut and Larson from Atlantic IE.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
My kid told me that a recruiter from Oklahoma was with Jake in the Waukee halls this week. Good get.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
well 106 tackles is nice waukee was also at the isu camp this summer (see David Barrent thread) and bith this guay and walker woods looked really good. any news if were trying to get a prefered walk on out of woods? also his size and speed are legit
i also know walker. hes probably to small to play at the D-1 level. i think hes looking at some D-2 schools where he can get playing time and be a significant contributer.

i would like to see a preffered walk-on to ISU though, because hes a smart player and CPR might be able to mold him into a useful role player.

Hes a legit 5'11" and pry 180-185

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Jake is a stud.

I worked with the Hillenga boys dad and all I used to here every monday morning was how this kid knocked snot of of somebody on friday night.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
You think we should all be blind optimists without any regard to reality? I'd much rather get into real discussion about the state of our football program than have to make it all up on a whim, predict 8 wins a season, and consistently be wrong. Just me?

How does news about a new commitment turn into this? :no:^

Reactions: cyingreen

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Jake is a stud.

I worked with the Hillenga boys dad and all I used to here every monday morning was how this kid knocked snot of of somebody on friday night.
mike was a hell of a good high school player. at grandview now i think? lance had too many concussions and wasnt allowed to play football after sophomore year because of that.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Lets go get Matt Hoch in Harlan. I have never seen a motor on a guy, with his size, ever. (I will be 50 within 10 years) If he follows his brother to MIZZOU so be it. If he goes to the Hawks he will end up like most of the other in state recruits that choose the dark side, lost and disoriented. Blum from Walnut and Larson from Atlantic IE.

AMEN.