Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Andy Larsen of the Salt Lake City Tribune, in his recap of Utah's regular season:

• Georges Niang is a pretty crucial rotation piece, thanks to his shooting ability and quick trigger, along with newly wholly adequate defense. He’s a free agent this year, and the Jazz could lose him, but he would be a big miss.

Link: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2021/05/16/triple-team-looking-jazzs/

"Crucial". Attababy, Georges. Lots of hard work to get to that point. I hope he can stay with Utah AND get paid.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Cytasticlone

Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA

The Lakers-Warriors play-in game is WED at 9pm CT on ESPN.

Can't wait! Curry v Lebron and THT! I am all in on the play-in tournament too. It essentially extended that playoff feel into the end of the regular season. Teams fighting to get into play-in spots 9/10, 9/10 fighting to get into 7/8 for two chances instead of one to qualify. Teams 7/8 trying to jump out of the play-in with 5/6ish trying to stay out of it. Made for a lot of mini competitions and more competition in general throughout the last third of the season. I know the NBA playoff series are usually "chalk" when its 1v8 and 2v7 so a lot of this won't matter in the long term, but this is fun.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Can't wait! Curry v Lebron and THT! I am all in on the play-in tournament too. It essentially extended that playoff feel into the end of the regular season. Teams fighting to get into play-in spots 9/10, 9/10 fighting to get into 7/8 for two chances instead of one to qualify. Teams 7/8 trying to jump out of the play-in with 5/6ish trying to stay out of it. Made for a lot of mini competitions and more competition in general throughout the last third of the season. I know the NBA playoff series are usually "chalk" when its 1v8 and 2v7 so a lot of this won't matter in the long term, but this is fun.
They used to have first-round mini series of best-of-three and I think I'd prefer those to 1-game play-ins. They're impractical this year because of the time pressures. But you're right, the play-ins have created some additional interest. I wish the LAL-GSW game were earlier; kind of late for this aging-if-not-old guy on the East Coast. Curry is so entertaining.

I'm curious how much time THT will get in this one. Because of the urgent nature of it, I wonder if it might be around 10 minutes.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
They used to have first-round mini series of best-of-three and I think I'd prefer those to 1-game play-ins. They're impractical this year because of the time pressures. But you're right, the play-ins have created some additional interest. I wish the LAL-GSW game were earlier; kind of late for this aging-if-not-old guy on the East Coast. Curry is so entertaining.

I'm curious how much time THT will get in this one. Because of the urgent nature of it, I wonder if it might be around 10 minutes.

Puke.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

The West is so tough. I can't imagine getting the 1 or 2 seed and seeing that you get to face playoff Lebron or the MVP version of Steph Curry in the opening round.

Note: I'm all in on the Joker getting the MVP, but more of a statement of how well Steph has played to close out the season.

Anyway, we will get to see some cyclones make a run!

Cytasticlone

Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I'm getting really excited for tonight. I know Lebron isn't for everyone and I know Curry isn't for everyone but I love watching both of them play. Who knows how much longer we'll get either one of them playing at their highest levels. I'm going to try and enjoy every minute of it.

• Agree
Reactions: CyclonesFan4ever

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'm getting really excited for tonight. I know Lebron isn't for everyone and I know Curry isn't for everyone but I love watching both of them play. Who knows how much longer we'll get either one of them playing at their highest levels. I'm going to try and enjoy every minute of it.

100% this.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Georges has been featured in this morning's Utah Jazz All-Access episode. This is the same ole Georges we all admire and appreciate. It's a must-see.

Here's Tyrese's top plays of the regular season.

Tyrese's exit interview

Here's THT's top plays of the regular season

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
This debuted today - All access with Georges on a game day. He shows up driving something better than a minivan and rocking ISU apparel. Fun to watch their early shootaround - they call it "breakfast club" - and hear guys like Quin Snyder and Donovan Mitchell comment. Plenty of Georges mugging for the camera but also speaking seriously about how he persisted. A fun 9 minutes.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames

Not sure if that link will work.(it does!) ESPN video of Jazz players notifying high school students about winning a scholarship--Georges is sporting the Iowa State logo on his call.
For some reason the audio of the ESPN video is not working in my Chrome browser. For those who have the same issue, I found a more direct presentation for you. BTW, Georges' parts start at the 1:22 mark and 1:44 mark.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
For some reason the audio of the ESPN video is not working in my Chrome browser. For those who have the same issue, I found a more direct presentation for you. BTW, Georges' parts start at the 1:22 mark and 1:44 mark.

Kids getting scholarships - it doesn't get much better than that! I'm sure that Jazz players enjoyed that AND I bet it makes them proud to work with that ownership group.

I bet Georges has a box with about 120 ISU shirts of different kinds, all with the Nike logo on them.

Reactions: Aclone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Kids getting scholarships - it doesn't get much better than that! I'm sure that Jazz players enjoyed that AND I bet it makes them proud to work with that ownership group.

I bet Georges has a box with about 120 ISU shirts of different kinds, all with the Nike logo on them.
Georges "roots" Niang. Gotta love him. So glad he is having success!

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth