Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Back-to-back nights, back-to-back double-doubles. The Lakers won a thriller over the Rockets in their Championship Banner Night. In the absence of LeBron and AD, THT stepped up big time by scoring a team-high 23 pts with 10 assists. He logged a career-high 37 minutes in a game, made a career-high 9 field goals, and was just 1 pt shy of his career-high in pts scored in a game. He got partially credited to the game-clinching steal and he limited his turnovers to 3.

A video of the clutch moment. Wesley Matthews and THT both contributed to the game-sealing steal.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
THT's highlights (vs. Houston Rockets).

THT's postgame interview.

In case you are interested, here's the video of the Lakers Championship Banner Ceremony.

This tweet is gold (from the Knicks game). I'm gonna save it here for future references.

Here's an article from Lakers SB Nation site about THT's development from G-League to NBA.

Now, the word is out. The fact that Talen Horton-Tucker is special isn’t a secret anymore. From Masai Ujiri of the Toronto Raptors making him a make-or-break part of a Kyle Lowry trade, to the Lakers refusing to include him, that the league has recognized Horton-Tucker is one of the more promising prospects in the NBA is undebatable.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The depleted and exhausted Jazz didn't show enough energy last night against the hot-shooting Blazers and took the L. The Jazz struggled with their shooting and to stop Lillard, McCollum and Anthony. Georges started the game and ended with this line: 23 MIN, 11 PT, 3-7 FG, 3-6 3PT, 2-2 FT, 2 REB and 1 STL.

Quin Snyder again used Matt to try to give a spark at the beginning of the 4th and he missed a wide-open 3. He played some mop-up time at the end of the game as well and ended with this line: 8 MIN, 0 PT, 0-2 3PT, 1 AST and 1 PF. He's had some bright spots this year but I'm sure he'd be the first to say that when he's had the chance to impact games this season - unlike last year - he's not taken advantage of it.

The Jazz has 2 games left in the regular season and still has a 1.5-game lead over Phoenix, who plays the tough Blazers tonight.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Niang had a bit of a rough night last night. He was fine on offense, but Carmelo was getting his with Georges D'ing him up. It was fun to see Niang matched up on him, but Melo had Niang's number.

Your are right I-state, Thomas got his opportunity but didn't capitalize. He did have a nice drive and kick to Gobert, but Gobert fumbled the pass on a would be dunk.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Niang had a bit of a rough night last night. He was fine on offense, but Carmelo was getting his with Georges D'ing him up. It was fun to see Niang matched up on him, but Melo had Niang's number.

Your are right I-state, Thomas got his opportunity but didn't capitalize. He did have a nice drive and kick to Gobert, but Gobert fumbled the pass on a would be dunk.
Yeah, I noted several times when Georges was right where he should've been but - news flash - Carmelo can score. I'd forgotten how perfect his form is. To be fair, Carmelo scored on many others, as well. And Royce O'Neal was doing a great job dogging Damion Lillard and Dame still went off. The offensive skills found in the NBA are unbelievable.

Thomas' dish to Gobert was a good one. But he's only going to get consistent minutes in the NBA by doing what Georges has managed - be at least neutral on D and hit 3s (and he's several inches shorter than the Minivan). This year, he hasn't done that enough and it's too bad because he's a great shooter. And it's not easy to get into a rhythm in these short stretches but there's a long line of guys waiting to take your place.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Yeah, I noted several times when Georges was right where he should've been but - news flash - Carmelo can score. I'd forgotten how perfect his form is. To be fair, Carmelo scored on many others, as well. And Royce O'Neal was doing a great job dogging Damion Lillard and Dame still went off. The offensive skills found in the NBA are unbelievable.

Thomas' dish to Gobert was a good one. But he's only going to get consistent minutes in the NBA by doing what Georges has managed - be at least neutral on D and hit 3s (and he's several inches shorter than the Minivan). This year, he hasn't done that enough and it's too bad because he's a great shooter. And it's not easy to get into a rhythm in these short stretches but there's a long line of guys waiting to take your place.

Georges also got the ball late in the shot clock a handful of times, but looked very pedestrian last night with Carmelo on him. It's been a while since I've seen a player be able to frustrate Niang that much. I didn't appreciate Carmelo in his prime, but it is fun to see him do his thing now.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Yeah Melo can get his shot against almost anyone, it’s whether he’s making them or not.

That Matt missed 3 really hurt given how wide open he was, felt in and out.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Nuggets produce this video "magazine". At about the 10:00 mark, you can see Monte's workout the day of his return to the court (I think). At about 13:02, there are shots of Monte's first game action and some post-game comments.

Denver's at Minnesota tonight and Monte's officially listed as "questionable".

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Here's the Georges' full highlights vs the Blazers. Portland has won 9 of their last 10 games and is one of the hottest teams right now. If they beat the Phoenix tonight, Utah will pretty much lock up the #1 seed assuming they take care of their business.

It's worth mentioning that Georges' 3PT% in this season is up to 42.6%, which is ranked 14th amount all qualified NBA players (Steph is 19th BTW), 10th among the players who made over 100 3-pointers. Blum mentioned in the latest CW & Blum Pod that Georges has completely changed his game (from doing most damages around the basket in college to becoming an elite 3-pt shooter) and found his niche at the NBA level (also credit to Jazz for being a great organization). As Georges becomes more established in the league, I'm sure he will develop a more multi-dimensional style with his high basketball IQ.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte is NOT in the ESPN live box score tonight. Sheesh. Must've had some concerns about how he felt after playing in the last one.

EDIT:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Jazz had a comfortable win last night over OKC. Mike Conley was back and started so Georges returned to a key bench role. Solid stat line for the Minivan: 21 MIN, 11 PT, 4-8 FG, 2-5 3PT, 1-2 FT (first missed free throw of the year), 3 REB, 2 AST, 2 STL, and 0 TO.

To answer this question, no, Georges already had the old-man-at-the-Y game. It's been good to see him going to the hole more.

Matt played 5 minutes and missed his only shot, a 3.

Only 1 game left in the regular season for the first-place Jazz:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The Jazz had a comfortable win last night over OKC. Mike Conley was back and started so Georges returned to a key bench role. Solid stat line for the Minivan: 21 MIN, 11 PT, 4-8 FG, 2-5 3PT, 1-2 FT (first missed free throw of the year), 3 REB, 2 AST, 2 STL, and 0 TO.

To answer this question, no, Georges already had the old-man-at-the-Y game. It's been good to see him going to the hole more.

Matt played 5 minutes and missed his only shot, a 3.

Only 1 game left in the regular season for the first-place Jazz:

How many FT had he shot before that?

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Here are Monte's touches from last night. He looks quick and decisive with the ball in his hands. I'm sure his fitness is not where he wants but he can definitely contribute in the first playoff series.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron