Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
With 3 key regulars sitting out, both Utah Cyclones get rotation - and 1st quarter! - minutes last night in a strange one for the Jazz, which trailed by 17 at one point and led by 25, and still made it close at the end. Georges' 12 first quarter points helped keep them in it vs. the young Thunder, who had a double-digit lead in the first. The Jazz have to be happy with a W without so many of their big guns.

Did Georges get his first double double? With his points in the first quarter, I was hoping he'd get a career high in points.

As noted, Matt was 1-8 from 3, 2-10 overall for 5 points in 15 minutes of PT. He grabbed 3 rebounds and was +11 but has to be kicking himself for that shooting performance. I feel like Matt could do better than 1-8 from 3 wearing a winter coat and flip flops. It's good that there's video of him shooting so well for stretches with Toronto last year because he hasn't had many of those performances this season and will only get PT in emergency and mop-up situations if he can't take advantage of chances like this.

From Deseret News:
  • Georges Niang got his second career start on Tuesday in place of O’Neale and immediately started firing. He had 12 of his 18 points by the end of the first quarter, finished with a career-high 10 rebounds, and although he’s not O’Neale on the defensive end, he did a good job in what he was asked to do.
Also from Deseret News:
  • Yes it was good for Thomas to get some run, but he went 1 of 8 from 3-point range, didn’t look great on the defensive end and was largely responsible for two shotclock violations. It’s not like I’m going to fault him too much for that — he hasn’t been with the team long and is probably pretty rusty and not getting a lot of time on the floor and there’s certainly nerves that play into some of that. Still, not the best showing.
Link: https://www.deseret.com/2021/4/13/2...ity-thunder-bojan-bogdanovic-jarrell-brantley

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Niang was cooking last night! Everyone wanting Georges to be a coach is going to have to wait a while. He will be getting that coveted 2nd contract.

Unfortunately Thomas had a rough go of it. He just can't get his shot going in Utah.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Niang was cooking last night! Everyone wanting Georges to be a coach is going to have to wait a while. He will be getting that coveted 2nd contract.

Unfortunately Thomas had a rough go of it. He just can't get his shot going in Utah.
Agreed on George's contract. He can be a good value guy. He's not going to get $35M per year but he'll still make something that all of us would be happy to get. I just double-checked -- he's an unrestricted free agent after this season.

You're right about Matt and his shooting wasn't up to his expected level over his last couple months with Toronto either. It's probably just a confidence thing now and that's not always easy to get out of, especially with irregular (and short) playing shifts. If he had played that ways in Year 1 in Toronto, I wouldn't be expecting him to stay in the year past the end of the season so it's good that he has some tape out there of performing in the playoffs etc. Even so, with his relative physical limitations for the NBA, he's going to start to hit 3's again soon-ish to assure himself a roster spot somewhere next year.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Today someone posted Georges' highlights from last night -- all points and assists (apparently rebounds aren't sexy enough to get in highlight reels):

Bonus: April 3 (10 pts), all possessions for Georges

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Interesting nugget for Monte and the Nuggets: sources (not mine, I don't have any) are saying that Denver is going to sign Austin Rivers with Jamal Murray out for the rest of the season.

That will impact Monte's potential increase in minutes but they're still going to rely on him since he proved last year that he could deliver in the playoffs. Rivers can ball though and it'd be a smart move if it happened.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Interesting nugget for Monte and the Nuggets: sources (not mine, I don't have any) are saying that Denver is going to sign Austin Rivers with Jamal Murray out for the rest of the season.

That will impact Monte's potential increase in minutes but they're still going to rely on him since he proved last year that he could deliver in the playoffs. Rivers can ball though and it'd be a smart move if it happened.
That was rumored even before Murray’s injury, seems like a no brainer now

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Cyclone guys' stats from the last two nights for (traditional) stat geeks like me ...

On Tuesday night, the Lakers got a win at Charlotte and Talen Horton Tucker was in the starting lineup. Alas, he was a bit cold from the field and I think he did all his scoring in the first half. He did warm up a bit as he started 0-3 from the field. His line: 26 MIN, 6 PT, 2-8 FG, 1-6 3PT, 1-2 FT, 1 REB, 4 AST and 1 STL.

Last night Denver came out slow against Miami but dominated in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to pull out a comfortable win. Monte was back in the starting lineup and had a solid, Monte-like line: 26 MIN, 10 PT, 5-10, 3 REB, 2 AST, 0 TO and +9. I should note that Campazzo also played 26 minutes and Dozier - who had a good game - played 28 so it looks like Malone is kind of dividing up minutes right now for those 3. Monte looks on track to be back to the fitness needed to play 30+ minutes in the playoffs like he did in the bubble with Barton out.

I choose to see this as cardinal and gold:

Tyrese has been colder of late from the field but he still puts up stats that jump out at you. They still can't get enough stops and lost to Washington at home. Ty's line, coming off the bench in this one: 29 MIN, 8 PT, 3-13 FG, 2-6 3PT, 3 REB, 6 AST, 6 STL and 0 TO. D'Aaron Fox also had 6 steals; they had 17 steals as a team and still gave up 123 points to the Wizards.

Check out this sublime Haliburton dime:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It seems that there's no light yet at the end of the tunnel for Abdel Nader -- it looks like he'll miss his 14th straight game tonight vs. Ty's Sactown Kings. Such a bummer for him because he was good in the 1st half of the year but his chances of earning a rotation spot back before the end of the season get less and less.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Top four producers all playing at a comparably high level right now, last two weeks probably among the most productive yet.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Two 2018 recruiting class members in action last night.

As noted, Talen Horton-Tucker had the big game between the two of them. His impressive line: 27 MIN, 19 PT, 7-15 FG, 0-3 3PT, 6 REB, 7 AST, 3 STL and 2 TO. And his usual twisting, long-armed, contact-absorbing layups:

The never-allow-fewer-than-120 Kings dropped one to the Nader-less Suns. Tyrese shot the ball better but had some uncharacteristic TO numbers: 24 MIN, 12 PT, 5-7 FG, 2-3 3PT, 1 REB, 1 AST, 2 STL and 3 TO.

His ability to throw the lob is elite: