Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We all know the media crowned rookie of the year early, and Ball has played well, but statistically it is a debate. Ball has taken 80 more shots to score 50 more points, similar minutes.

Look at that sea of red for all the other rookies including #1 Edwards. Grand total of five shooting above average for the league.

TH's rebounding is trending up and that's really the only statistical knock on him now. If he bulks up a little over the next couple years there's potentially not a weakness in his game as a point guard.

Here's same analysis for all players, top rookie Tyrese coming in at #51.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Maybe it is just me but Irving's talk with TH looked a lot more congenial than Harden's. Harden looked like he was telling the rook to know his place.

That may be reading too much into Harden's talk. I watched the game and it wasn't chippy. I doubt Harden would be putting an opposing rookie in his place. I think Haliburton just looked pissed since they have now lost 8 straight.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That may be reading too much into Harden's talk. I watched the game and it wasn't chippy. I doubt Harden would be putting an opposing rookie in his place. I think Haliburton just looked pissed since they have now lost 8 straight.

I'm sure Tyrese sticks out in the league the way he smiles like a kid the entire game, wonder if that'll ever go away or he'll be a 34 year old vet smiling like that some day. Maybe first impression is he's cocky, then realize that's just how he is 24/7.

• Winner
Reactions: chadly82

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
No idea Naz was going through all that.
Me, either. I knew he was inactive for a chunk of the G League season but didn't know about all that. The dude is all hard work, class and positivity. In more normal circumstances, I hope he lands somewhere outside of the G League next year.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Two things on Haliburton that I agree with.

I'm really this way when he has the ball in his hands:

(Except I'm, you know, an old-ish white guy)

And with the way that Tyrese is throwing (via "hook shots" much of the time) sweet lobs to Holmes, we totally need to make "Hali-oop" a thing:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We all know the media crowned rookie of the year early, and Ball has played well, but statistically it is a debate. Ball has taken 80 more shots to score 50 more points, similar minutes.

Look at that sea of red for all the other rookies including #1 Edwards. Grand total of five shooting above average for the league.

TH's rebounding is trending up and that's really the only statistical knock on him now. If he bulks up a little over the next couple years there's potentially not a weakness in his game as a point guard.

Here's same analysis for all players, top rookie Tyrese coming in at #51.
If you add in just one stat to that ratings generator - 3P% - it becomes a landslide for Hali. And I think that is pertinent when comparing Ball and Tyrese since their 3PA/min are just about identical and they are both attempting over 5 3s a game.

Even if you substitute 3P% for 3PM - instead of adding it - it still is a landslide for Hali.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If you add in just one stat to that ratings generator - 3P% - it becomes a landslide for Hali. And I think that is pertinent when comparing Ball and Tyrese since their 3PA/min are just about identical and they are both attempting over 5 3s a game.

Even if you substitute 3P% for 3PM - instead of adding it - it still is a landslide for Hali.

Ball has exceeded my expectations, so I can't throw him under the bus. I'd be thrilled if my team had taken him...but he is a less efficient player than Tyrese so far.

He's basically a slightly better rebounder, his assists and scoring is just slightly higher than Tyrese but they come with more turnovers and more missed shots, thus less opportunities for the rest of the team.

It'll be really interesting to see if Tyrese can keep up production like the past week, if he does it might force the media to at least make rookie of the year a debate. Crazy thing is there are some similarities in their games. I think Tyrese is likely the better defender. He has longer arms and can get similar or better steals and blocks without gambling as much.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ball has exceeded my expectations, so I can't throw him under the bus. I'd be thrilled if my team had taken him...but he is a less efficient player than Tyrese so far.

He's basically a slightly better rebounder, his assists and scoring is just slightly higher than Tyrese but they come with more turnovers and more missed shots, thus less opportunities for the rest of the team.

It'll be really interesting to see if Tyrese can keep up production like the past week, if he does it might force the media to at least make rookie of the year a debate. Crazy thing is there are some similarities in their games. I think Tyrese is likely the better defender. He has longer arms and can get similar or better steals and blocks without gambling as much.
Agree, I'd like to hate Ball, but I really don't. He is a great player for a rookie. When it comes down to it the Ball kids are a lot like the hawkeye players. I don't necessarily hate (most of) them but I don't want their ******* fans to gain enjoyment off of their success. I imagine you can guess who I equate to the hawk fans in this analogy.

Reactions: IndyClone15

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Agree, I'd like to hate Ball, but I really don't. He is a great player for a rookie. When it comes down to it the Ball kids are a lot like the hawkeye players. I don't necessarily hate (most of) them but I don't want their ******* fans to gain enjoyment off of their success. I imagine you can guess who I equate to the hawk fans in this analogy.

It's impressive the kid is succeeding so far with what his dad did to derail it.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Man.....Tyrese is killin it! So happy for him and cant wait for it to continue and for his 2nd contract to far exceed Monte's !

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Quick summary of the guys in action last night ...

Matt Thomas got 6 2nd-half minutes last night in the Raptors' loss to the Heat even with K. Lowry back in the lineup. I don't know if it's because he's not aggressively hunting his shot but he took no FG attempts and only registered an assist with a +7 number. He doesn't appear to have scared Nick Nurse off with his defense in the last week that he's had some limited rotation minutes.

Nader got a DNP-CD last night as the Suns dropped one to Charlotte.

As noted Talen Horton-Tucker got the starter in Schroder's spot and he, like the Lakers, was cold from the field. His line: 30 MIN, 8 PT, 3-12 FG, 2-5 3PT, 5 REB, 5 AST and 3 TO. His 30 minutes were the most for the Lakers in the Jazz' blowout win.

It turns out Georges will not go the rest of the season without missing. Niang had 6 PT in 17 MIN on 2-8 / 2-6 shooting and recorded no other stats.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Saw a bit of THT last night in the game. Looked to fit in nicely. You can tell he's still learning lots as some of the veterans were directing him where to get to in moving off the ball but of course that should happen.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I'm watching the Kings-Knicks game - Tyrese is just ... awesome. Look at this left-handed bullet pass in transition.

Steals, assists and already in double figures in the first half.

(But the Kings couldn't D up a middle school team)

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

It was an odd night for Monte, who got the start for the injury-depleted Nuggets in a disappointing loss to the Wizards. In 31 minutes, he went 2-8 from the field, for the 3rd time in 4 games, but he made 7 of 8 FTs. He also had 2 TO. He's been a bit colder, shooting only 43% from the field in February but he's also been at 43% from 3 during the month and his shooting percentages are still solid for the year.

Another solid showing for Tyrese but that team can't hold anyone under 130 points, it seems. They've now lost 9 in a row.

Reactions: Cyientist

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Anybody see this tweet? Pretty cool that two best 3pt games in Jazz history are both Iowa Staters.

Attachments

• 1614360678965.png
    1614360678965.png
    341.9 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron