Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Halliburton with 9 pts and 4 assists and a block. IN THE 1ST QUARTER

Edit: they took a 3 away on a review at the break. Only 6 points, but completely dominated.

The Kings are on a suns like trajectory, hopefully. They are going to win some fun ones, get blown out a few times but you can see there is something there. Having Tyrese on that team is a big reason for that. Mans is good!

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Lots of ex-Cyclones in action last night in the NBA (though Haliburton is the one that is wow-ing us the most).

With Joe Ingles out due to injury - his first missed game in 400+ - there were more minutes for Georges. The Jazz rained a team record 25 3-pointers on the Bucks and got a W. Georges' line: 14 MIN, 3 PT, 1-3 FG, 1-3 3PT, 2 REB, 1 STL and +2. That game raised his scoring average to 1.2 ppg!

Nader again got a DNP for the 6-3 Suns, in their loss to Detroit (they blew a big lead there). When he missed those first 7 games, I feared he'd lost his window to get a rotation spot and now he has to wait for his chances.

Matt Thomas probably wasn't on the floor at the same time as Hali, as he only got 2 mop-up minutes in the Raptors' big win over the Kings. He did hit a 3 in that time, making him 7-13 from 3 this season (54%). But there's no place in the rotation for him at all there, Carroll Kuemper?

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

The Lakers only got by the Bulls by 2 and Talen Horton-Tucker continued to contribute. His line: 20 MIN (2nd-most off the bench), 9 PT, 3-5 FG, 1-1 3PT, 2-2 FT, 2 REB, 3 AST, 1 BLK and 1 TO.

Buzzer beater off the dish from Caruso:

This is from WED's game - SIAP - but there are some good shots:

Reactions: NWICY and simply1

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Tough back to back for Sacramento as Portland lit them up tonight.

Haliburton got hist first start! They don't play through him enough imo, but it is what it is. He was out of position a lot on the perimeter as Sac threw some zone out there in this game, but in general Sacramento's defense is all sort of out of position.

Tyrese Haliburton: 12PTS/2REB/8AST/1STL
Should have had double digit assists, Sac missing some shots they should make.

An example of soft defense

first couple of CJ highlights are picks on Haliburton to free up CJ.

Still probably their best player tonight and he's playing at a very high level for a short camp rookie!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Finally got around to watching The Last Dance and the footage they show of Pippen when he's at Central Arkansas and his rookie year in Chicago he has a striking physical similarity to Tyrese. I don't think Tyrese will get to Pippen's level of strength but look out if he does somehow.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
On Saturday, the Nuggets beat a weakened (COVID protocol) 76ers team and Monte had another solid one. HIs line: 22 MIN, 12 PT, 5-10 FG, 0-2, 2-2 FT, 2 REB, 4 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK (which was a true swat out of the air), and 0 TO.

Monte has gone 4 straight games without a turnover. Natch.

Reactions: NWICY and aobie

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Tough back to back for Sacramento as Portland lit them up tonight.

Haliburton got hist first start! They don't play through him enough imo, but it is what it is. He was out of position a lot on the perimeter as Sac threw some zone out there in this game, but in general Sacramento's defense is all sort of out of position.

Tyrese Haliburton: 12PTS/2REB/8AST/1STL
Should have had double digit assists, Sac missing some shots they should make.

An example of soft defense

first couple of CJ highlights are picks on Haliburton to free up CJ.

Still probably their best player tonight and he's playing at a very high level for a short camp rookie!

Thanks for getting the stats and those clips. Also, best use of Portuguese and Turkish on this entire site! :)

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Finally got around to watching The Last Dance and the footage they show of Pippen when he's at Central Arkansas and his rookie year in Chicago he has a striking physical similarity to Tyrese. I don't think Tyrese will get to Pippen's level of strength but look out if he does somehow.
Hmm. That's an interesting comparison, one which I had not thought of.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
A bunch of Sunday action for Cyclones in the NBA and I couldn't see any of it (although I have Monte recorded so I'll watch Monday). Talen Horton-Tucker had the strongest outing, facing the team he played against in the playoffs - the Rockets. An easy W for the LAL. THT's line: 21 MIN, 17 PT, 7-8 FG, 2-3 3PT, 1-1 FT, 5 REB, 3 AST, 4 STL (dang!), 2 TO and +7. Some highlights below.

EDIT: This is a career-high for THT!

Throwdown in transition:

A LeBron-esque outlet:

Dish in transition:

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges might be feeling some frustration after another outing without a lot of numbers at least. The Jazz beat the Pistons by 10; Joe Ingles was back but Georges at least got a few more minutes than he usually does but he remains cold from 3. Niang's line: 11 MIN, 2 PT, 1-5 FG, 0-4 3PT and other than 2 personal fouls, no other stats accumulated.

Monte had another solid performance as Denver handled the Knicks and showed better defense. Numbers: 23 MIN, 12 PT, 5-10 FG, 2-5 3PT, 3 REB, 3 AST, 1 STL and, for the 5th straight game, 0 TO. The Nuggets have pulled back up to .500 with a 2-game winning streak.

As I write this, it's the 3rd quarter in the Raptors' game and Matt is engaged in mostly cheerleading again.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and simply1