NBA: Cyclones in the pros 2021-23 (hoops)

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I think Doc is very positive about Georges' game and thinks they got real value on the free agent market with what they spent on him.

When Georges was in the lineup in their last preseason game, the ball really moved (not all on Georges; part of that had to do with the absence of Ben Simmons).

In George’s 16 pt preseason game, the announcers said that Doc was the one that made the call to Niang when he was a free agent.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
On WED night, Nader continued his solid pre-season play, with 11 points in 14 minutes on 4-8 shooting. At least in the games, he's doing what he can do.

When healthy, the Suns have good depth this year so carving out minutes isn't going to be easy for Abdel. They have Landry Shamet, Prohm guy Cameron Payne and Elfrid Payton getting guard minutes off the bench. The thing that Nader has over all those 3 is his size, so it may depend on match-ups whether he gets minutes on a given night. Again, he seems to have shaken off the rust and had a good pre-season.

Monty had a cold shooting night on WED in a pre-season loss to OKC on Wednesday (26 MIN, 4-11 FG, 1-5 3PT, 1 AST and 2 TO -- eek). Just getting it out of his system when it doesn't count.

Denver is going back-to-back with OKC and Campazzo started tonight so I suspect that Monte won't play. He looks to be the Game 1 starter.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Bulls have signed shooter Bryce Alford, who's played overseas the last 2 years, in a move that could impact Matt Thomas' chances for landing a spot on the roster. Fansided's Pippen Ain't Easy had this to say about Matt after the Alford signing:

The shooting ability that Alford brings to the table is likely the reason why the Bulls are giving him this opportunity with a camp deal. Former Utah Jazz and Toronto Raptors sharpshooting guard/wing Matt Thomas looked intriguing early on in camp and the preseason. But his effectiveness faded a bit in the last two preseason games with the Bulls.

With some of the struggles that Thomas had shooting from the field and from beyond the arc down the stretch last season, the Bulls might see this as a red flag as his numbers are dipping late in the preseason too. There could be a brewing roster battle for one of the last remaining spots on the final roster, or for the final two-way contract slot, looming in the final week of camp.

Matt had some chances last year with the Jazz and didn't deliver and as Georges likes to say, there are a thousand guys trying to take your job.

• Informative
Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The Bulls have signed shooter Bryce Alford, who's played overseas the last 2 years, in a move that could impact Matt Thomas' chances for landing a spot on the roster. Fansided's Pippen Ain't Easy had this to say about Matt after the Alford signing:

The shooting ability that Alford brings to the table is likely the reason why the Bulls are giving him this opportunity with a camp deal. Former Utah Jazz and Toronto Raptors sharpshooting guard/wing Matt Thomas looked intriguing early on in camp and the preseason. But his effectiveness faded a bit in the last two preseason games with the Bulls.

With some of the struggles that Thomas had shooting from the field and from beyond the arc down the stretch last season, the Bulls might see this as a red flag as his numbers are dipping late in the preseason too. There could be a brewing roster battle for one of the last remaining spots on the final roster, or for the final two-way contract slot, looming in the final week of camp.

Matt had some chances last year with the Jazz and didn't deliver and as Georges likes to say, there are a thousand guys trying to take your job.
C’mon Matty!!!

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The point guard out of Marquette put up 31 for the Nuggets although with all that shooting he had one assist. Not sure how many they will carry with Murray injured, although I am sure Monte is safe.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

I have no comment on the above.

Tyrese has been starting with Buddy Hield coming off the bench in recent preseason games. Buddy played more minues - 25 - than TH - 23 - who had 8 PTS, 3 AST and 4 TO.

Does anyone know if they're considering a switch forrrealzzz with Hali staying in the starting lineup?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

I have no comment on the above.

Tyrese has been starting with Buddy Hield coming off the bench in recent preseason games. Buddy played more minues - 25 - than TH - 23 - who had 8 PTS, 3 AST and 4 TO.

Does anyone know if they're considering a switch forrrealzzz with Hali staying in the starting lineup?

Pretty sure they'd move Buddy if they could.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
NICE! I was keeping an eye on Bulls transactions. I think the Bulls were one of the few teams that had several spots remaining on their roster. But that's quite a different matter from getting on the court with the stable of guards they have. At least he's getting paid an NBA salary for another season (hopefully).

He didn't do anything mind-blowing in game action; maybe he won the spot with his work in practice.

I wonder if he'd play any games with the Bulls' G-League team in Chicago. Shooting is such a rhythm thing and it would be do-able since the team plays right in Chicago. Maybe it could help the Ice Man get his mojo back. Pure speculation.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Does anyone know the terms of Matt's contract with the Bulls? Does he get a guarantee for the year if he makes the squad? Or could he be cut anytime if they decide to add someone else?

The Bulls gave the 2-way contracts to a Hawk (T. Cook) and a Jayhawk (D. Dotson) and kept the Cyclone on the roster :)

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Looks like it is a non-guaranteed deal, so let’s hope that the Chicago forwards stay healthy. I think his contract gives him about 20k per game. Nice gig!

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/chicago-bulls/matt-thomas-31891/
Yeah, the number's not bad there but Matt is vulnerable to be replaced in that spot if they see someone else they really like or need. I'm guessing early on he'll get no chance to earn minutes. Apparently, they don't have a lot of shooting on the bench - relative to other clubs - so maybe there'll come a time that they'll give him a chance. Lavine and Ball aren't exactly Steph Curry.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Yeah, the number's not bad there but Matt is vulnerable to be replaced in that spot if they see someone else they really like or need. I'm guessing early on he'll get no chance to earn minutes. Apparently, they don't have a lot of shooting on the bench - relative to other clubs - so maybe there'll come a time that they'll give him a chance. Lavine and Ball aren't exactly Steph Curry.

At least he has a little more experience than the typical end of bench guy, so he may get a little run since he should know defensive rotations. Or at least it may remove some hesitation from the coaches to throw him out there.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
No less than Danny Green sings Georges Niang's praises in an article today, even if he doesn't quite have "Swiss army knife" down as a term:

“He’s like the Army Swiss knife for us,” Green beamed. “He does a little bit of everything. I like that nickname for him. Some call him The Minivan, some guys call him The Sprinter, some call him the Army Swiss knife.”

“He’s a great shooter, a high IQ player, can handle the ball a little bit for DHOs, pick-and-roll, slash, he can do a little bit of everything,” Green added. “He does all the things we need him to do, blue-collar guy, he’s the ultimate team player, he’s gonna fit right in, and have that second group moving the ball well.”

Link to full article: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/veteran-danny-green-raves-sixers-192513636.html

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Pippen ain't easy headline today: Matt Thomas sneaks his way onto final roster.

Which sounds snarky. But the article itself isn't negative. The write is correct that this seems like a "prove yourself" year in the NBA for the Ice Man. The writer even thinks that Matt's (needed) shooting could win him some minutes this year:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
A little Naz content from Italy. His club, Brescia, had been struggling as he had been from long distance. In these clips, I see him attacking more off the bounce.

Reactions: clone4life82