NBA: **Cyclones in the NBA and G-League, 2019-2020

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I was watching with the wife and son and I said, watch this, he's the smallest guy on the court and he's going to get a rebound here. Sure enough he did. :cool:

I just don't think the Nuggets have much of a chance. LeBron is a great player but he becomes unstoppable when he gets the star treatment that he does. He knows it too, that is why he switched to guarding Murray when he was making unbelievable shot after shot. He knew that they wouldn't call most of the fouls he would commit trying to slow Murray down. The way he was playing last night Murray deserved a W but it just wasn't to be.

You called that rebound and bucket? You should use those talents more productively such as with picking winning lottery numbers.

I agree that LeBron got the calls last night. Still, they had a chance - I wish that late 3 by Monte had gone in.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
In case you missed them, here are Monte's plays from game 4 vs. the Lakers (even includes a C. Barkley appearance). His last shot was a 3 that would have brought Denver to within 2 with 2:30 to go. Still he earned a lot of minutes with his good play.

Bonus press conference coverage:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Man LeBron really brought it tonight.

In game four even though he had a great box score he really wasn't that aggressive.

Tough to beat him in playoffs with game like tonight. Series was closer than it looked with the game two heartbreaker shot and game four would have been nailbiter with decent officiating.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Still time but those 5 missed shots in a row sure didn't help Denver. C'mon Nuggets.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Monte getting a ton of play at least. Having to make shots over 7 footers isn't doing him any favors. He should be starting somewhere, a place where his job is just to create.44

LA's role players just killing it right now, not sure anyone can beat that.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
SOB what is LA's 3pt % in the 4th qtr. Seems like they don't miss and the Nuggets can't buy a bucket.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
But it was Morris who earned Michigan's Mr. Basketball honors over Kuzma when they were both coming out of high school in 2013. He was a big enough star that he nearly lured the Hornets' Bridges, who ended up earning All-America honors at Michigan State, to join him in Ames at Iowa State.

ISU fans prepare to be triggered. The Michigan St. stuff and Bridges almost joining ISU is interesting.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
That pressure experience is great for Monte, just getting court time and handling it well should hopefully keep in in the league for a long time.

Loved that drive by LeBron.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Not the best last 5 minutes for Monte. Also, **** the Lakers for getting all the calls (and no-calls) this game.
Yeah, I'm not one for criticizing the refs much but the last two games, I felt like LeBron got every call and non-call. He just lowered his shoulder and ran over Jamal Murray late -- no call.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I thought the Nuggets battled well last night vs. the Lakers in Game 5 but, alas, Monte and company saw their season end against a really tough and talented team. For them to be able to compete at this level they need big performances from their two big stars and with Murray basically playing on one leg, it seemed like they couldn't quite get over the hump. It was amazing that they got a big deficit down to a tie game a few times (kudos to J. Grant) but they couldn't hold off LeBron and company (and, ahem, sometimes the refs).

Monte again played starter minutes and took Gary Harris' place in the rotation in the 4th quarter (GH started but only played 13 minutes). Great experience to handle that pressure for Monte, who looked quick and dangerous in this series, with most (I think) of his field goals coming in the paint. It's clear that Malone trusts him and I hope the Nuggets extend him this year. He had a chance on a coast-to-coast drive to tie the game at 90 but rim protectors got in the way. He also had a chance to cut it to 2 with about 2:30 left but missed an open 3. He'll probably kick himself for those 2 plays but he played well.

For the last time in this weird season, here's Monte's line: 28 MIN, 10 PT, 4-9 FG, 0-1 3PT, 2-2 FT, 2 REB, 7 AST and 0 AST.

I feel like he probably had more assists because the ball-dominant Jamal Murray was playing on one leg so Monte did more playmaking in this game.

This is a young and good Nuggets team that had a great season. I really enjoyed watching them. Murray became a superstar in these playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I took a look at Monte's post-season stats. He certainly played like he belonged in the NBA. In the Lakers series, he averaged 21.8 MIN, averaged 10.6 PPG, shot 57% from the field (3-8 / 37.5% from 3), had 15 AST and 2 TO. Versus the Clippers, he averaged under 17 minutes per game.

Overall in the post-season, he played 406 MIN, scored 172 points, shot 50% from the field and 30% from 3PT, shot 82% from the line, and had 52 assists vs. 10 TO. All that experience is invaluable and if for some reason, Denver doesn't keep him after next season, someone will pay him well.

Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY