NBA: **Cyclones in the NBA and G-League, 2019-2020

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Not gonna lie - after looking forward all week to seeing Utah vs. OKC, that game was a big disappointment for this Cyclone fan. Georges had another tough offensive outing, Nader is out of the rotation and Deonte didn't even dress. Plus, the Jazz looked totally out of sorts and were crushed by the Thunder.

Niang got 5 points late in mop-up time to improve this line: 25 MIN, 7 PTS, 3-10 FG, 1-7 3PT, 1 REB and 2 AST. His shot looks hurried to me; I'm confident he can turn it around before the playoffs start.

Nader didn't check in until there was 3:10 left and OKC was up by around 20. He hit a nice runner for 2 PTS in the game.

I swear, beyond Niang's first 3, the highlight was watching Nader and Niang chat during a couple free throws.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Matt Thomas got 5 MIN in the 2nd half of the amazing Raptors' 15-pt win over the Lakers (Iowa guy Nick Nurse is candidate for COY after losing K. Leonard and D. Green). I watched the 1st half and Nurse went with an 8-player rotation that didn't include the Ice Man. He ended with 0 PTS on 0-2 shooting.

Naz and Shayok each got DNPs as the Pacers beat the 76ers in the Ex-Cyclones-from-Canada-watching-from-the-bench Cup.

THT was not on the Lakers' bench for the loss to the Raptors.

Next best shots to see Cyclones in NBA action are Monday as Toronto takes on Miami (12:30 PM CT / NBA TV), Denver plays OKC (2:30 CT / NBA TV) and Utah plays the Lakers (8:00 PM / ESPN).

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I just watched Matt Thomas' 5-minute shift in the Raptors-Lakers game. He didn't play garbage time - he started the 4th quarter when the Raps held a 2-point lead. He did OK - stopped a Kuzma drive and helped out on LeBron once. He drove once and Kuzma blocked his shot and missed a pull-up 3 in transition.

I noticed on his first offensive possession, he was in the left corner and Kuzma really crowded him in a way that took himself out of being in a help position on D. So just Matt's reputation as a shooter helped to spread the court a bit.

Matt did play the last minute and, um, gave up a 4-pt play on what seemed like a non-foul to me.

The announcers said that Nick Nurse has been encouraging Matt to watch video of JJ Redick. Coach Nurse is a smart man.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Cyclones in action today on ESPN or NBA TV - AUG 3:

1:30 ET / 12:30 CT - Toronto vs.Miami NBA TV
4:00 ET / 3:00 CT - Denver vs. OKC NBA TV
9:00 ET / 8:00 CT - LA Lakers vs. Utah ESPN

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Nader making the most of his minutes. 3/3 for 8 pts through 3 quarters. They are down 2 bench players so he is getting extra run.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Nader is balling out today. Monte playing a good 2nd half. Can not wait for Plumlee to go elsewhere.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I broke down and bought an NBA TV subscription and got to see Nader vs. Monte like some of you did. First, Monte in Denver's OT win over OKC. Monte was back in the starting line-up, as noted above, with injuries to Murray and Harris.

The first-ever play invented in basketball:

Great finish in the 3rd quarter:

Monte put Denver ahead but CP3 sent it to OT:

As noted, he had a quiet first half but was a real spark in the 2nd. Final line: 17 PTS, 38 MIN, 6-12 FG, 5-5 FT, 4 AST, 0 TO (more like it) and 1 STL.

Maybe the rust has come off.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I agree with the posters above that Nader was terrific and he really only got in the rotation due to the absence of Schroder and Ferguson. The OKC broadcast team named him player of the game.

3 in transition in the 1st halfn (I see that they're using Prohm's "Doolie" for Nader):

I think this was his 3rd 3 of the game:

Abdel's final line in the 2nd bubble game: 13 MIN, 13 PTS, 5-6 FG and 3-4 3PT

I'm kind of happy that Denver got the OT win but Nader proved - once again - that he can contribute.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Matt got in the Raptors' win today at the end of the 3rd quarter. He may have stayed in longer but he was taken out for the last 5 seconds or so for some full-court defense. But Nurse has had him in (very short) stints when games were close in the Raps' 2 bubble games.

Toronto could get back to the finals.

Both the Pacers and Thunder were down a couple players; Naz and Deonte both dressed and got DNPs.