NBA: **Cyclones in the NBA and G-League, 2019-2020

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I watched the Nuggets game last night after the cyclones got hosed. It was weird since they broke in to announce the season had been postponed. I realized that the Nuggets were the team playing during both of the heavy times this year. They had the early tip the Sunday that Kobe died, and then were playing when the announcement came that the season would be on hiatus.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Good article on Nader's improved defense, published just before the season was suspended. Some blurbs:

Nader denied Semi Ojeleye at the rim. He fought through a screen and recovered in time to block a Kemba Walker 3-pointer. Nader stuffed a Jayson Tatum jump shot from behind without the Celtics star even seeing him. Marcus Smart tried to drive by Nader, but Nader stayed glued to Smart’s right hip and rejected a floater.

“I really trust him,” Thunder coach Billy Donovan said after the game. “He’s always been a really good worker, but he battles, he fights, he chases really hard on screens … I thought he did an unbelievable job getting himself back into possessions defensively and rearview contesting shots, which was great for us.”

Nader shed weight this offseason to improve his defensive mobility. He knew he needed more than good shooting to stay on the floor.

Link: https://oklahoman.com/article/5657074/thunder-abdel-nader-impacts-winning-with-improved-defense

Reactions: cyclone101

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
This popped up on my feed from "Hoops Reference" (narrated by a Canadian who doesn't know the pronunciation of Onalaska and Prohm). It's a 10-minute ode to Matt Thomas with the title: What If I Told You The Best Shooter In The World Was Someone You NEVER Heard Of...

He uses high school footage through his whole narration of his college days - I wish there had been some clips from the his Big 12 games. Still, it's quite a tribute and I enjoyed seeing the high school clips; there are also some shots from Matt's pro day workout:

Reactions: cyclone101

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
So tonight I was bored and looked up how all of our former Cyclones fared this season in the NBA shooting the 3-ball. I was curious who made the most total threes.

Niang 77/185 (.416)
Morris 54/144 (.375)
Nader 39/105 (.371)
Thomas 35/75 (.467)
Burton 10/46 (.217)
Naz 2/11 (.182)
Shayok 1/3 (.333)

I think it’s pretty cool that we’ve had seven different former Cyclones make a three in an NBA game this year. Not to mention having 4 of them make at least 35 of them at a clip above 37%. I know Thomas didn’t get a ton of playing time, but he really capitalized on the opportunities he did get. I was also really happy to see Georges step up his shooting the way he did this year.